• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charging/Jump Start Question

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the new registration for our '17 AR190 this afternoon. Went out and put the stickers on, thought I would sit in the boat and drink a beer and listen to the stereo for a minute. Maybe clean a little.....NOPE....Dead battery.....It appears I left the switch in the "on" position for the last month or so. OOPS.

No big deal right, hook up the charger and wait a bit, and it should be good to go.....Nope....Charger is giving me a flashing red light that means "Battery not charging". Check connections, then grab a multi-meter....hrmmm, 1.19Volts.....That seems bad on a 12V system.

SO......My question is this.....Can I drag the boat out of the garage, hook it up to water, then jump start it to let the engine recharge the battery? If not, is this battery just junk at this point? Would really hope my slightly less than one year old battery isn't ruined, but that would be my luck. I have the time, truck, cables, and spare vehicle to get the boat started if that is an option.

Any thoughts?

Here are the battery and charger in question if it helps
Battery-Tender.jpg
Yamaha-Battery.jpg

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the new registration for our '17 AR190 this afternoon. Went out and put the stickers on, thought I would sit in the boat and drink a beer and listen to the stereo for a minute. Maybe clean a little.....NOPE....Dead battery.....It appears I left the switch in the "on" position for the last month or so. OOPS.

No big deal right, hook up the charger and wait a bit, and it should be good to go.....Nope....Charger is giving me a flashing red light that means "Battery not charging". Check connections, then grab a multi-meter....hrmmm, 1.19Volts.....That seems bad on a 12V system.

SO......My question is this.....Can I drag the boat out of the garage, hook it up to water, then jump start it to let the engine recharge the battery? If not, is this battery just junk at this point? Would really hope my slightly less than one year old battery isn't ruined, but that would be my luck. I have the time, truck, cables, and spare vehicle to get the boat started if that is an option.

Any thoughts?

Here are the battery and charger in question if it helps
View attachment 71854
View attachment 71855
Not sure about your specific problem, but that is not really a charger despite its name. It is more suited to keep an existing battery at full charge, not charge a depleted battery. .75a is the max output.

Take the battery out and have it tested. If it's still good I would get it on a real charger.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The stator on our boats isn't a powerful battery charger, you'll need to charge battery up via another means

Grassman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You probably need to jump start the charger. Most chargers like in golf carts, will not turn on if voltage is too low. I would unplug charger, connect jumper cables to dead battery to ensure 12 volts (or close to it) to it, plug in charger, then disconnect jumper cables. The charger should continue to charge the battery but will take a while. Do it all the time with golf cart batteries. But I have no experience or knowledge with that charger.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Onboard charger time :)

Just kidding, but a cheap 2/10/50 charger/jump starter is a great addition to a household. Even a 2/6 amp charger can be had for 30 bucks and is a good investment that will work for many many years.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Fastest approach is to just pull the battery out (I use twist ties to tie off all the wires in groups for each terminal so you get them all back on again) and take it to Advance Auto, have them do a free test and free charge if it passes the test (takes ~45 minutes).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sent out an APD to the neighborhood tooluminati group. Next door guy has a full blown charger in the garage we're going to try. We might or might not drink a beer or two while we're at it.

Thanks for the tips!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I know there are a few charger threads, but do we have a dedicated one for the best set-ups to keep the batteries charged? I notice running the boat does not charge them well. I have seen a few people install a plug on the side of the boat, I want to hear more on that.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought this last year at the end of the season and will be installing in the next couple weeks.
20180413_080244.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ran the "big boy" charger for a few hours last night, battery voltage came back up to 11.8V and let the tender take over. Been on the tender all night. Going to go check on it after a few cups of coffee this morning.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need one of those.
We got super lucky finding this neighborhood. Within about 10 houses on our street there are 7 families with kids ranging from 8 days to 16-17yrs. Most with 2-3 in the house. 4 of us have boats (Yamaha 19ft jet,Berkshire 24ft Tri-Toon, Centurion 24ft Wake, and Chapparel 19ft I/O). It seriously looks like "King of the Hill" on most week nights with a group of 3-4 guys standing around something drinking beer and shooting the breeze.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I installed an plug on the swimdeck and onboard charger for 2 batteries (banks). It has been in the "shed" plugged in all winter. The higher charger amperage reduces the charge time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5EBR1C/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This charger will split the 12 amps as needed, and once a battery is fully charged the remaining gets all 12 amps. If you only have a single battery you only need a 1 bank charger, or better yet, add a second battery so you have a spare on the water.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I installed an plug on the swimdeck and onboard charger for 2 batteries (banks). It has been in the "shed" plugged in all winter. The higher charger amperage reduces the charge time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5EBR1C/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This charger will split the 12 amps as needed, and once a battery is fully charged the remaining gets all 12 amps. If you only have a single battery you only need a 1 bank charger, or better yet, add a second battery so you have a spare on the water.
Perfect, this looks awesome. It sounds like you can just leave it plugged in until the next time you take it out?

The "BOAT" adage is coming true for me... but because I keep modding lol.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perfect, this looks awesome. It sounds like you can just leave it plugged in until the next time you take it out?

The "BOAT" adage is coming true for me... but because I keep modding lol.
Mine stays plugged in all the time and it keeps the batteries ready to go and over winter. I didn't opt to drill in to the boat again and I just hang the plug over the side and plug it in. It is inside the boat cover protected from elements.

Anchorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I’d like to see how two batteries can be mounted in the 210 Challenger. Suggestions welcome. I’d like to find a dual group 24 battery tray. A dual group 27 tray is easy to find.