• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Drain

H2Joes

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was my first summer with my sx240. I purchased it in Minnesota and trailered it back here to Pittsburgh, Pa. At the time of purchase getting the best deal seemed most important, but now when I need warranty work, a dealership who was willing to work on my boat would be nice. Since none of the dealers around here are very friendly or helpful maybe you guys can help me out.

All summer I have been dealing with a parasitic battery drain. I had the battery tested and it is fine. I also had a automatic bilge installed as I keep my boat wet slipped. I disconnected the bilge from the positive terminal and the drain still occurred. I am not very handy, so besides shutting the battery off after every time I use it, I'm outta ideas.

I love this boat so far, but this is driving me crazy. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Even a recommendation on a good dealer that is within a reasonable distance would be great.

Welcome to the site! I'm a former Pittsburgher! Who are the dealers in the area?

The stereo does draw a little along with the light on the bilge switch.

How long does the battery last?

Maybe you can wire the bilge pump straight to the battery and leave your battery switch in the off position.

Also check that the head storage light is turned off. On my 2010 I had the same problem with battery drain. I installed the battery cut off and use it whenever not in use.

This was my first summer with my sx240. I purchased it in Minnesota and trailered it back here to Pittsburgh, Pa. At the time of purchase getting the best deal seemed most important, but now when I need warranty work, a dealership who was willing to work on my boat would be nice. Since none of the dealers around here are very friendly or helpful maybe you guys can help me out.

All summer I have been dealing with a parasitic battery drain. I had the battery tested and it is fine. I also had a automatic bilge installed as I keep my boat wet slipped. I disconnected the bilge from the positive terminal and the drain still occurred. I am not very handy, so besides shutting the battery off after every time I use it, I'm outta ideas.

I love this boat so far, but this is driving me crazy. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Even a recommendation on a good dealer that is within a reasonable distance would be great.
You need to clarify if you added a smart automatic pump (no float) or added a float switch automatic pump.

It has lasted between a week and a half and two weeks.

That must be how the bilge is wired because I don't have to flip the switch for it to work since the original was replaced.

There is a dealer at Raystown Lake and a dealer at Deep Creek Lake in MD

You need to clarify if you added a smart automatic pump (no float) or added a float switch automatic pump.

I have no idea. Like I said I'm not handy and I had a local boat guy here install it. All that I know is that it will automatically come on if it senses water. I can also turn it on manually by flipping the switch.

Can you snap a picture? The reason being is f he wet with a smart bilge and no float, it will cause a drain as the pump turns on every few minutes and looks for water presence. This will cause a drain over a short time vs. a float switch typewhich only comes on if the water level lifts the switch up. No drain at all till it is needed to remove water.

I'll take a pic the next time I make it to the marina.

That will help a lot getting you better info. Be sure to include a photo of the switch etc. You can never take too many and the more we see, the better we can help.

If you have the automatic bilge that turns on every 4-5 minutes to check for water all you need to do is sit by the open engine compartment hatch and listen for several minutes. If it turns on you will hear a low whine. If that is the type of bilge pump you have about two weeks of battery life is about right. You will want to change over to a float switch.

I gather you leave the boat in the water? If not, then your best bet is to turn off the battery switch anyway. If she is in the water all the time, bypassing the baattery switch for the bilge is your best bet.

And congratulations and welcome!

Wow, I had no idea that there are no dealers close by! That sucks!

This bilge/battery can be solved by any boat repair place. I used Skips Propeller Service out in West Mifflin by Century III Mall on my old prop boat -- they can figure this problem out for you.

I'm assuming your battery setup is a single battery?

If you have a "cranking battery" in a single setup that battery will not tolerate deep power drains well. It is designed for starting motors which requires a heavy load short term.
A "deep cell" battery will retain a longer, deeper charge and tolerate discharge better. Deep cell batteries are designed for trolling motors and other slow drain scenarios like "house" accessories (radio, lights, bilge pump, disco ball for the stripper pole etc)
A week and a half on a battery with a constant drain from an accessory (bilge pump) sounds pretty normal.
I would recommend two mods to your boat neither of which is a huge expense:
1- dual battery setup with a switch, one cranking battery one house battery
2- on board battery charger, you will need AC power at your slip for this or you can look into a solar charger.
There are others on this forum who understand batteries far better than me and can explain the science.
Check with "Chargerguy" about batteries and chargers he has good advice and knowledge.

Thanks Julian.
I have complete charger systems for under $100, some a lot less. If you have any questions here, feel free to reach out to me.
thanks!
Jason

Unless you turn the battery switch(es) OFF when you depart the boat, the 24 foot boats have parasitic battery drain BUILT IN.
GPS and other items. Whether you like it or not.
If not do not want to worry about "where" you leave your battery switch(es), then install an on board QUALITY charger/maintainer and then always make sure the LAST thing you do when you leave your boat is to plug in the charger.
Take it from someone who investigated all of the alternatives .. and this is it.
If I can help you in this area with specifics, pls msg me.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

My 2012 SX240 came with a single deep cycle marine battery and no battery switch. Some dealers will throw in the cheapest battery they have, but a dual purpose battery is needed as a minimum. You need a battery switch to shut down all parasitic drain. But you will need to rework the bilge pump...again. The bilge pump that comes installed in the boat is an auto sense type pump and your only going to be good for about 10 days with it checking for water every 2 1/2 minutes. Some guys pull that pump or modify it for a float switch, others @Big Shasta , have installed a different automatic pump that is called a Rule Mate, that has to have enough water present to turn it on. Either way, if you have water present, ever...then you will run down a battery eventually. So having a way to keep it charged is the best way around this. If you don't have access to shore power, then you will have to shuffle batteries eventually to prevent loss. And another note, no single person on this website has all the answers, the members as a whole however provide a very good knowledge base. And...there is not a single way to accomplish most of the challenges we face, there is always other, and often, better ways to accomplish what your after. Sometimes, what is the perfect solution for one member isn't the best alternative for another, just because they use their boat in different ways. Hopefully, the posts above shed some light on what you need to consider and how to meet the challenge. Enjoy the boat and once again welcome...and if you come up with a way that best works for you, be sure to update this and other threads with your discoveries...that is how we all learn!

This was my first summer with my sx240. I purchased it in Minnesota and trailered it back here to Pittsburgh, Pa. QUOTE]

Welcome to the site! I'm a former Pittsburgher!

I used to live an hour and a half above the burg....near Punxsutawney where the groundhog comes out. What a party that was every year.

Go Steelers!

We keep our boat on a mooring from June to Sept. This was my first season and learned many lessons. Regarding the bilge, early in the season, as recommended, I left the bilge on (stock auto bilge) for about 6 days as the weather made it difficult to go boating... Day 6 ... House battery DEAD... Thankfully I put 2 batteries aboard. I started shutting batteries off for periods of no use.

Thru much rain and wind and waves ... The boat did not appear to take on any water at all.

I have the cockpit cover and bow cover snapped on after every use. So far, it seems to keep the water out of the boat. I was pleased.

I've had battery drain problems in our 2006 SX210 since I purchased it used in 2009. I installed a battery switch which is great - as long as I remember to switch the battery off when I store the boat. If I forget the battery is drained in a matter of days.

I don't know what my original battery drain source was, perhaps the radio. It's not the bilge pump because I'm storing the boat dry on the trailer and the bilge pump is switched off at the console. I think the drain got much worse after I installed the PerfectPass system.

I'm thinking of installing a Vico-Power Plus - Intelligent-Battery Power Management Device BDP (Battery Discharge Prevention) which will work if the power required is less than 2A. I haven't done research to see if there is a higher power model available. This device will cut power if the battery drops below a selected voltage, or the device is exposed to a certain temperature, or if the unit exceeds a selected time duration. The Vico Plus is designed for dash cameras.

Back