• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Trailer Tongue Jack

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't forget, depending on the width of your trailer tongue, you will need longer bolts. I got mine an inch longer and they worked out perfect.
Yup, just got to find them in black now ;)

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I talked to the Yamaha dealership repair guy about this yesterday, he said putting the jack stand behind the bow stand was completely fine. He recommended not messing with the bow stand location as it "should" be adjusted perfectly already from the factory.
Straight bullshit. They HOPEFULLY set it up for a completely empty boat with no fuel in it. You can do whatever you want, but IMO, I'll check mine again this year after having it and knowing what I want to keep loading on it, and how it rides with what I'm carrying on board, but after you have the boat for a while and see the factory work... I believe your view may change slightly on their idea of "perfection". Not saying they're horrible, or that YOUR idea is bullshit, I'm saying the dealership's belief is...possibly unrealistic

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To elaborate, you have a 50 gallon fuel tank, 8-ish lbs/gallon. They set you up without the additional 250 lbs you're going to add to your boat... at the rear of your setup. Now add anything else to your boat. See what I'm saying? It MIGHT not make a difference, or they MAY have added a weight to the boat when setting up your rig, but (again, my opinion) I didn't want to rely on the guesstimate that they set me up right, and I did end up moving mine from their setup, so while my experience might be different from yours, mine might also end up being less drastic than what you might end up with.

In the end, whatever someone is comfortable with, as long as they like it, that's the only thing that matters :winkingthumbsup"

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just replaced my stock trailer jack on my 14 Shorelandr with the same Tractor Supply model that @motomandan used. Removed the bow stop, unbolted the old and bolted on the new. Drilled out the pin holes and reinstalled bow stop aligning with the marks I made before removal. Night and day difference from the original POS that looked like it would fail during every use. Posted a picture of the stock one on FB Marketplace for $20 and it sold within 15 minutes. Simple upgrade and very pleased with the Tractor Supply model. Cranks easier, is more stout and raises about 6 or 8 inches higher. Can't beat it for a net $40.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors, The jack looks good! I just put mine on yesterday too. How crazy did you go with tightening the bolts? Instructions didn't specify, so I used a torque wrench at 60lbs. I didn't want to overdo it and start deforming either the brackets or the trailer beam. Also I see that you mounted with the bolts resting on the top of the beam. I went back and forth on what to do with that one. Keep an eye out to see if it slides down and then you'll know you need to tighten further. I ended up mounting mine so the bolts are hitting the bottom of the beam so it can never slide down, seemed like a bonus and I observed some other pics on this thread where they did the same. But I really have no idea, would have been nice if the instructions clarified the proper way to do it and amount of torque.

Attachments

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yup, just got to find them in black now ;)
@ZGhost based on other threads and recommendations regarding tongue weight from the factory... I'm going to go move my boat and bowstand back a few inches today. This will let me mount the jack in front of the bowstand.

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just replaced my stock trailer jack on my 14 Shorelandr with the same Tractor Supply model that @motomandan used. Removed the bow stop, unbolted the old and bolted on the new. Drilled out the pin holes and reinstalled bow stop aligning with the marks I made before removal. Night and day difference from the original POS that looked like it would fail during every use. Posted a picture of the stock one on FB Marketplace for $20 and it sold within 15 minutes. Simple upgrade and very pleased with the Tractor Supply model. Cranks easier, is more stout and raises about 6 or 8 inches higher. Can't beat it for a net $40.
You don't have to take the bow stop off. But it is so easy even with the boat on it. That way it is easier to use the drill to drill it out and also not drill shavings all over.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ZGhost based on other threads and recommendations regarding tongue weight from the factory... I'm going to go move my boat and bowstand back a few inches today. This will let me mount the jack in front of the bowstand.
@BigAbe75 that’s a good idea! I was going to start a new thread asking members to measure the distance from the breakaway triangle to the edge of the bow stop for each of the 19, 21, and 24ft boats. I thought it would be interesting data to see where various dealers around the country set the bow stop location. This would allow us to compare notes. I was going to include the pic below for clarity on where to take the measurement. Thoughts? I would start but my boat is at storage and I’ll measure it next time I get it but it’s been freaking raining here for ever :mad:

the dims on the XO750 plate is 8 1/4 x 8 1/8, so you’re going to need at least that much room to mount in front.

yes, that’s my crappy trailer jack that will soon be replaced 👍

883E6075-3FCC-4F3D-9279-E9CC6F89C824.jpeg

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer didnt set mine. Pretty sure they come from factory setup.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 that’s a good idea! I was going to start a new thread asking members to measure the distance from the breakaway triangle to the edge of the bow stop for each of the 19, 21, and 24ft boats. I thought it would be interesting data to see where various dealers around the country set the bow stop location. This would allow us to compare notes. I was going to include the pic below for clarity on where to take the measurement. Thoughts? I would start but my boat is at storage and I’ll measure it next time I get it but it’s been freaking raining here for ever :mad:

the dims on the XO750 plate is 8 1/4 x 8 1/8, so you’re going to need at least that much room to mount in front.

yes, that’s my crappy trailer jack that will soon be replaced 👍

View attachment 119901
From the dealer, your red line was right about 5” for me. (‘19 242X) This afternoon I moved it back another 4 1/2”. I bought my bolts this evening and will finish the install and removal of the old one in the morning. The boat is sitting off the back of the bunks about 4” now. I guess that’s ok?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors they should but wether they did or not, who knows? 🤔

@BigAbe75 i wonder what 4.5” does to the weight of the tongue? Certainly lighter but wonder by how much? Probably keep an eye on how the trailer sits on the hitch and see if you notice any difference from before moving it.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors they should but wether they did or not, who knows? 🤔

@BigAbe75 i wonder what 4.5” does to the weight of the tongue? Certainly lighter but wonder by how much? Probably keep an eye on how the trailer sits on the hitch and see if you notice any difference from before moving it.
I had thought about being a little more scientific about it, but @jcyamaharider told me he moved his back 6” and may go farther. I know there are a few threads where people have moved back, but I can’t recall how far. I have a 5hr tow coming up next weekend. I’ll probably see if I can get a good weight on a truck scale before then.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had thought about being a little more scientific about it, but @jcyamaharider told me he moved his back 6” and may go farther. I know there are a few threads where people have moved back, but I can’t recall how far. I have a 5hr tow coming up next weekend. I’ll probably see if I can get a good weight on a truck scale before then.
@BigAbe75 we are waiting the reveal with pics of the XO750 install? Did you have a chance to get the beast on the beast? Hope it went well? Share thoughts, pictures, whatever on your mind? Would love to hear your impression so far? Still waiting for mine to ship 😫

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 we are waiting the reveal with pics of the XO750 install? Did you have a chance to get the beast on the beast? Hope it went well? Share thoughts, pictures, whatever on your mind? Would love to hear your impression so far? Still waiting for mine to ship 😫
Got it installed Saturday. This jack is the bomb, that’s for sure!!!

I scooted the boat (bow stop)back about 4 1/2”. Before next weekend, I’ll run over to the family farm and get everything weighed on a truck scale and report back my findings and distances.

By moving the bow stop back, I was able to mount the jack in front of the bow stop. I also switched sides, so the jack is on the drivers side now. No more jumping the tongue when working alone.

I was working with the boat connected to the truck. Once I got the new jack on loosely, I disconnected the truck and ran the jack up to put some weight on it. This moved the mount brackets such that the bottom bolts are now flush with the bottom of the tongue. Thinking this will minimize movement out of the gate, rather than seeing the mount move overtime as it takes the boat’s weight and comes to settle in that position naturally.

To remove the old jack, I had to loosen the bow stop a bit to get my wrench up there. Just a warning, that bow stop sheet metal is not as thick as you would think. I bent it in a bit by tightening the bolts too much.

Note: Remember after the old jack nearly falls on your head and you’re ready to get up... you still need to tighten the bow stop bolts back up. I forgot that step, and couldn’t get the boat back on the trailer after going out for the afternoon. Had to run home for a 3/4” wrench and then go retrieve the boat.
C2A4A925-F848-4957-BC1F-B31756698B7E.jpeg64304EFE-DCFD-49AF-915C-2BBF563E217C.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put mine on the passenger side because I may need to fold the tongue. I was looking it over this weekend, and I'm wondering if the bolts/pin can simply be reversed.

Seems like Yamaha didn't really flex their muscles or think it through when choosing these Shorelander trailers

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I put mine on the passenger side because I may need to fold the tongue. I was looking it over this weekend, and I'm wondering if the bolts/pin can simply be reversed.

Seems like Yamaha didn't really flex their muscles or think it through when choosing these Shorelander trailers
I didn’t actually try it (or even thought about it till now if I’m being honest), but looking at my pic, I’ll get at least 90 degrees on that fold. If I think about it tomorrow, I’ll actually try to fold it and see how far it goes.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 Why did you put the brackets all the way up ? I flipped mine over so that the long part is below the frame, just in case I need to step there sooner or later in a pinch.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 Why did you put the brackets all the way up ? I flipped mine over so that the long part is below the frame, just in case I need to step there sooner or later in a pinch.
Holes lined up better. I didn’t feel like I was getting the holes lined up right when I had them flipped.

Looking at it now, I wonder if I could have mounted the whole thing a little lower to reduce those pieces sticking up.

Honestly, I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into the project. I just went with what seemed to feel right and tightened it down. Lol

After a few of these comments, I may revisit and adjust. Or, I may just leave it alone. Lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear ya. With me, sooner or later I would have to step there either launching or bringing the boat in, it would hook my foot, I would go down and break an ankle. It is going to happen, everything else usually does.

The kids would still ask, can we still go tubing since you can sit the whole time........:)

BTW you can rotate the whole jack around 180 which is what I did for the mounting plate, it seemed to line up better.