• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best way to wire an amp?

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I just purchased a JL M600/6 which will power all 4 speakers in the boat, and eventually 2 on the swim deck. I've wired a ton of car/truck amps in my day, but boats seem to be slightly different.

I want to mount it behind the helm, to keep all the wire runs short (except power and ground). My question is on how to tie in the power to the battery shut off; do I just tap into the main wire coming out of there, or is there some way of tieing it into the cut off switch?

Im also guessing the ground goes straight to the negative terminal on the battery?

Are there simple kits out there for these (marine) applications; im not sure how many feet of power/ground id need.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Buy a switch similar to a dual battery switch and tie it into that, it would also be nice to have the switch to shut of the power.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I just purchased a JL M600/6 which will power all 4 speakers in the boat, and eventually 2 on the swim deck. I've wired a ton of car/truck amps in my day, but boats seem to be slightly different.

I want to mount it behind the helm, to keep all the wire runs short (except power and ground). My question is on how to tie in the power to the battery shut off; do I just tap into the main wire coming out of there, or is there some way of tieing it into the cut off switch?

Im also guessing the ground goes straight to the negative terminal on the battery?

Are there simple kits out there for these (marine) applications; im not sure how many feet of power/ground id need.
Eventually you will have dual batteries and a dual battery switch, if you don't already. The amplifier positive cable should go to switch 'C' or output post. It should not go battery-direct in a simple switch (non-ACR/VSR scheme). Fusing or a circuit breaker should go as close as possible to the supply termination and the switch should be very close to the battery(s).
The ground does go battery-direct.
Kits are typically automotive which have a long trunk line + and a very short -. That won't work in a boat. You need both the + & - to be the same or similar length. So you will be buying by the roll or buying a custom cut length. You'll have to measure in advance unless you want to error on the long side. A little extra is a good idea. And you have to consider the ups, downs, transerve, and front/rear routing plus where you'll tie up the cables. Use a string and temporary tape to make that route in the boat. Remove the string and measure the length.
You'll need 4-gauge wire. Get good quality wire....not the cheapest. If the wire weighs considerably less for the same length then avoid that wire....it's junk.
A company like Earmark Marine will cut to length and make up the battery/switch end terminations in advance before shipping. You'll get a quality physically crimped, soldered and heatshrunk termination. The amplifier end requires nothing additional.