• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge alarm Install--know if you've had a blowout!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bill D is right on! I've used all different types and "grades" of hole saws and never saw a difference. I've also NEVER had any chipping by doing the reverse approach as well....to the point that I no longer even bother taping (I know...sacrilege!)...but most of the items I've been installing all have a thick bezel on them anyway...so if there were a chip it gets covered up.

Also, it has been a while since I did this alarm, but I am 90% certain that there are no screws to attach it from the front....it has a screw on the main shaft on the back that holds it in place (which does mean you need to be able to access the back plate when installing it). I know this is true for the fume detector I just installed....

@KXCam22 A home depot alarm MIGHT work, but they are very sensitive to moisture....any water sloshing around in the bilge will set it off. Also they aren't designed for salt water and fail quickly (I know this as I used one under my fish tank salt water filtration unit in my last house and it died quickly in the salty environment). This alarm only goes off once the water reaches the height you install it at.....which I put in slightly higher than the bilge. So if the bilge can't keep up.....BUZZZZZZZZZZZ WARNING!!!!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is where my buzzer ended up. Right underneath the passenger chair or in front of his/her feet.

Attachments

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I am confused by the wiring diagram. The alarm shows a red and black wire and the float switch has 2 grey wires. The diagram also shows a fuse to be installed to the wire connecting to the battery but does not mention the size of the fuse. Can someone please enlighten ? Thanks.

IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1828.JPG

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the fuse size might be on the switch itself, but I will check.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks Betik

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It says right there on the page --- 1 amp

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The 1 amp is for the alarm as per the diagram. How about the wire going from the float switch to the battery? The diagram shows the fuse but no details. Also the float switch has 2 grey wires and I have no idea which one goes to positive and which one goes to ground. That was my issue :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes there is fuse from the switch too the positive terminal. I want too say it is 20, but I will need to check.
The grey cable do not mater. Because all the switch does is to allow for the current to pass through. If you put the fuse one the greys makes sure that is the cable that feeds the speaker. The other grey from the switch goes straight to negative.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yeah. After reading this thread I bought the same identical one. Am confused about the 2 grey wires

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The two grey wires both carry positive current. It doesn't matter which one goes to the battery vs the alarm. The float switch just makes the connection. So connect one grey wire to the battery, and one grey wire to the red wire on the alarm. Then connect the black wire from the alarm to a negative ground or - post on the battery.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Now it makes perfect sense :). Thanks Julian and Betik

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The grey wire to the battery has a 20 amp fuse and the grey wire to the alarms has a 1 amp fuse. Correct ?

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
It sure would have made a lot more sense if they'd just made those wires both RED vs Grey!
I was scratching my head on how the circuit is complete before your explanation

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I humbly recommend 12v breakers over fuses. If there is a transient issue, (or you cause a short by mistake when fidgeting around) it's much easier to push the button to reset it, vs finding and installing another fuse. and they are not expensive.

markallan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you just add a new buzzer where the engine alarm is under the dash?