• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Failure?

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last couple of times out, noticed when I flip the bilge pump on, it lights up the switch for about 5 seconds, then pops the circuit. Never note anything coming out of the side of the boat.

Pulled the pump, the strainer was clean, all appears to be in order so I am assuming the pump has failed?

Any specific steps to test, or just replace it?

Any particular brand or replacement that is preferred?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might try using the exact same pump if possible. That way you can pop the new pump into the old strainer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last couple of times out, noticed when I flip the bilge pump on, it lights up the switch for about 5 seconds, then pops the circuit. Never note anything coming out of the side of the boat.

Pulled the pump, the strainer was clean, all appears to be in order so I am assuming the pump has failed?

Any specific steps to test, or just replace it?

Any particular brand or replacement that is preferred?
Does the impeller in the pump spin at all, or is it jambed?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have an Multi-meter? If so, check the resistance between wires coming out of the pump. If they are shorted (Very Low resistance) The coil inside has shorted and the pump is toast.

Can you touch the pump cable terminals directly to the battery or to a battery charger, very carefully, just for a moment, to see if it runs in that scenario or not? The idea is to confirm the pump is indeed the issue before you replace it. I venture a wild guess that 90% its the pump, but if you can test it this way and confirm it's not it, it could be a short in the wiring or other electrical problem. Unlikely, but easy to test, so might be worth it if you can, before spending the money on the replacement pump.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok - I guess I'll play with it some more, its just such a bitch to get to, part of me just wanted to replace it and be done. But realistically, that pump has hardly ever been used. Until this last season where it sat outside over the winter, I've never had any water in the boat whatsoever, its probably been used a half a dozen times at most.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should remove it to do any testing. It is very likely the pump. Easiest thing is to remove it to test it out. Don't work any harder than required.