• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge pump confused

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bilge pump hums when activated. No water ever seen discharging. Lots of water when drain plug removed end of day. Last year had water pumping from bilge every time we went out.

Took off pump from blue strainer. No screen or filter , and no gunk or junk.

From the looks of it, water has to fill up to blue strainer (about level) with engine compartment floor for pump to grab it (rather than low in bilge).
...what am I missing? Confused.
Pics attached.
Thanks in advance 20210718_123145.jpg20210718_123145.jpg20210718_123032.jpg20210718_123019.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are correct. You can have a decent amount of water in the bilge but it is still not high enough to activate the pump or be picked up by the pump. I was surprised when I tested mine the yesterday. I let the hose run in the engine compartment for a while and the pump came on. Once the pump stopped, I went and pulled the keel plug and a very decent amount still came out. If and when I get to installing a second pump, I will do it lower in the bilge probably.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You are correct. You can have a decent amount of water in the bilge but it is still not high enough to activate the pump or be picked up by the pump. I was surprised when I tested mine the yesterday. I let the hose run in the engine compartment for a while and the pump came on. Once the pump stopped, I went and pulled the keel plug and a very decent amount still came out. If and when I get to installing a second pump, I will do it lower in the bilge probably.
Yup, that’s why I put my second pump under the swim platform right by the drain plug. You can have quite a bit of water in that area

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I installed a second bilge pump on the angled section in the "true bilge", and leveled the boat (using the swim platform as my level point with a liquid level), and when I filled the bilge with water, the pump in the engine compartment kicked on before the one in the bilge.
I didn't see an easy way to mount a pump in the U where the keel is.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The commercial solution:

And the diy version:

Another diy inspired by the above one:

Last edited:

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. Any clue why there is a drain plug in the engine compartment if it is at the same level as the bilge pump? Seems like it would "drain" into the bildge which
I installed a second bilge pump on the angled section in the "true bilge", and leveled the boat (using the swim platform as my level point with a liquid level), and when I filled the bilge with water, the pump in the engine compartment kicked on before the one in the bilge.
I didn't see an easy way to mount a pump in the U where the keel is.
Thanks. Do you have any pictures of your install? Also anyone have a sketch of how the bilge looks (i.e. how far down from the pump does it go?). What's the easiest way to "look into the bilge" with least parts removal. Now I'm curious to understand more what's under there. Estimates of volume bilge holds BEFORE pump kicks in (from a water hose test)? Thanks in advance

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. Do you have any pictures of your install? Also anyone have a sketch of how the bilge looks (i.e. how far down from the pump does it go?). What's the easiest way to "look into the bilge" with least parts removal. Now I'm curious to understand more what's under there. Estimates of volume bilge holds BEFORE pump kicks in (from a water hose test)? Thanks in advance
If you look at my signature (if you are on a phone you will need to turn it sideways to see people's signatures) you will see a 242X link at the very beginning, that link takes you here:

And at the bottom you will see a video of my bilge pump install. It also includes video of the bilge area.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length