• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Switch Tripping

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed the light wasn’t on for my bilge pump. Pushed the breaker and it came on, but shuts back off every few minutes. I’m guessing that something is tripping it as it periodically comes on the check for water. I took a look in the engine compartment and didn’t see any obvious signed of pinched wires or anything that would cause it to short. Any ideas?

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah, found another thread where someone else had the same problem and there were good tips for troubleshooting. Will pull the pump and see if it’s seized. If not, will try swapping the breaker.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you pulled the pump to see if there is something in it or if it even runs? That would be a good place to start

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ah, found another thread where someone else had the same problem and there were good tips for troubleshooting. Will pull the pimp and see if it’s seized. If not, will try swapping the breaker.
What babin said....most likely there is something stuck in it, worst case it has seized.

Let us know what you find!

Cleaning your bilge pump should be on your annual maintenance list.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hadn’t cleaned it before so will definitely need to do that. I did pull it off the mount today and the impeller was hard to turn. I was able to get it to move a bit with a screw driver and now it looks like the switch is staying on. Will definitely have to give it a good cleaning when we get back off the water.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like it is time to replace it. It is a must have working item when out on the water.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. Luckily this boat takes on no water but that’s not an emergency situation I want to be in.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay, so now that the boat is home and off the water I’ve done some troubleshooting. I pulled the pump and it was a little hard to turn the impeller but rotated several times with a screwdriver and flipped it on. Runs fine for about 10-15 seconds and then blows the breaker again.

Made sure the screen was all cleaned out and tried running water through it. Same result. Blew out the line to the thru hull fitting and it’s all clear.

Tried running the pump in a container of water without the line out connected. It runs just fine for 10-15 seconds cycling water and then the breaker trips again. Is my next step just to buy a new pump and try that? It doesn’t seem to be getting hot at all.

I took a look at the back of the switch panel to see about trying to run it through another breaker but I’m not sure how to do that exactly.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A second more powerful bilge pump and a bilge float are great additions to any small boat. The smaller the boat the faster it sinks all else being equal if there is constant water ingress. Best of Luck!

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well... I ordered a new pump that appeared to be the appropriate part number but it has three wires and my stock pump has only two. I’m assuming it won’t work.

Back on the water this weekend! Keeping a close eye on the bilge 😬
7446C07F-B230-443D-A9C3-509247702BC8.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the instructions. Might be just fine. Just need to know which function you want. Might have electronic auto.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t think the pump came with any instructions, but I’ll have to double check.

Can see the drain plug light at this lake though!BBB442E1-377F-49D6-9138-0CC493345095.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rule Wiring.png
From a Rule video in Youtube. I think you want to hook up the Brown to battery or switched auto, and Brown-White to manual override. depends on your preference, but working pump much better than no pump.

Greg__Berger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay good news. The third wire didn’t go into the harness and appears to just be available to bypass the switch as the diagram shows. Got it swapped yesterday and all is good!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice. How is it wired? Is switch on dash =pump in auto?