• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini (BPL) Generators Destroyed By Fire

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These generators provide the power for both islands. I hope that they will be replaced quickly but suspect this could become an issue for the trips planned this year and will certainly cause difficulty for the locals.

The second video suggests that it will take a year to replace the power plant and that “load sharing” will occur until then. I assume that means that power will be available for part of the day.

@Bimini

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Wow. I wonder what caused them to blow up.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The chitter bugs will have a field day for sure.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Man that's not gonna be any fun for a while. Lady in one video says it was less than 10 years old. That means the older plant gets worked hard and how long will that last? Think about how long a project takes here in the states much less on a small island especially a power plant.
What type of plant is it? Fuel source?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Diesel I think...
I did a little digging and saw that like 95% of bahamas has diesel generators.
May be a good time for some resorts and marinas to repower with wind or solar but worried that hurricane winds would be more costly then. Maybe rooftop solar panels tied to a grid at marina? No clue what that would cost but if the island is out and you are the only fuel source...

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
These generators provide the power for both islands. I hope that they will be replaced quickly but suspect this could become an issue for the trips planned this year and will certainly cause difficulty for the locals.

The second video suggests that it will take a year to replace the power plant and that “load sharing” will occur until then. I assume that means that power will be available for part of the day.

@Bimini
Sad

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just called Hilton, they have power and said there was a fire at the power plant but it was not a total loss and that 75% of the island still has power.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
that is no doubt a major issue ...an will be lengthy... Any idea if resort world has its own backup generators?. I'm thinking probably not.

That island has had its better days no doubt....

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just called Hilton, they have power and said there was a fire at the power plant but it was not a total loss and that 75% of the island still has power.
I do not believe that to be accurate.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that is no doubt a major issue ...an will be lengthy... Any idea if resort world has its own backup generators?. I'm thinking probably not.

That island has had its better days no doubt....
There have been times that residential portions of Bimini have been powered down to support the AC at Resorts World. So
I would guess that the do not have their one generators.

I understand that the BPL staff had been recently replaced resulting in almost daily power outages before the fire.

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just spoke to Big Game Club, they said they are alternating power between areas for several hours at a time until it's fully restored. With that being said, looks like what Hilton told me wasn't accurate.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@LayneG, there is a single power plant location for north and south Bimini. It also was the storage for the diesel for the generators. With that location destroyed it will be a long time before power is fully restored.

My understanding is that smaller trailer mounted generators will provide power for a few hours a day to each area of the island. Hopefully there will be enough power on N Bimini to pump water but it is expected that water will be an issue on S Bimini.

Fuel supply is likely to become an issue for locations with their own generators as the fuel boats take days to come when called and much diesel intended for electricity was likely lost to the fire.

Personally I would not disturb too many Bimini residents. They are working to handle this situation in their own lives and there will be plenty of reporting of conditions on social media.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is not good for anyone planning a trip there this year. More so this is awful for those that reside there. A/C and refrigeration systems run at nearly 100% duty cycle during the day to keep up. Fuel pumps, water systems, sewage systems, and communication systems all require power. Add to that human nature and behind the scenes jockeying of the big resort owners. Won’t be pleasant there for quite a while.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Official word from BPL although I suspect that “to carry the load that is currently on the island” is the most important quote.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Secondhand word from the island is that "The message that came out this morning was that they lost 9 mega watts and can supply 3, for now. All have power for now but we will likely be going onto planned rotational outages. Thanks to all who were able to help and much gratitude that everyone is safe."