• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boarding/tubing without a tower anything suffice besides the tower?

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried searching the forums gents I know it gets old having the same posts over again.

We're not "solid" enough wake boarders or that very much of active boarders/tubers/wake surfers for me to drop 1000$ on a tower that I don't see myself getting very much use of. I live in NW Florida, not what you would call glass calm water for boarding anyways.

Is there a cheaper option that is a little better then the towing hardpoint on the stern? I was thinking about rigging something up where the table base plate is but I wasn't necessarily sold looking st the connection points on it for the load that it would have to accommodate.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nothing wrong at all with tubing from the ski hook. That is what is there for, and it functions wonderfully for rip tearing rides....just watch the lead in to this video on my SX230....

You do not need an additional set up.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nothing wrong at all with tubing from the ski hook. That is what is there for, and it functions wonderfully for rip tearing rides....just watch the lead in to this video on my SX230....

If you wakeboard though the boat pulls you down, just the low stern and the rope attachment point. Tubing I'd imagine it works fantastic.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Hahaha I love the video and the music!!! Nicely done sir!!!

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks good do you use this? I'm surprised they haven't designed something for our table attachment point.
I have not personally used one of these, just seen them and thought it could be a good alternative to a tower.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe @Julian had a pylon in his 230.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup....I had a pylon with my 2005 SX230. It worked well, took about 5 min max to set up. The only downside is it gets in the way of getting to and from the swim deck. Not only is the main post in the way, but the straps angle down from it to the cleats. This wasn't a big deal. It sure would be a cheaper way to help determine if you live boarding.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can wakeboard from the tow point but it is much easier from a tower particularly when you are just learning. The trick from a low tow point is the keep the handle in your hip and plently of a back foot/ heel side pressure on the board

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup....I had a pylon with my 2005 SX230. It worked well, took about 5 min max to set up. The only downside is it gets in the way of getting to and from the swim deck. Not only is the main post in the way, but the straps angle down from it to the cleats. This wasn't a big deal. It sure would be a cheaper way to help determine if you live boarding.
Thank you!! Lol What did you do with your old one????

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a 2009 SX230 a couple of years ago. When I purchased it, I didn't really think I would want/need the tower but... the kids go older we got into more and more water sports (surfing in particular) and we quickly realized at the advantages of having a tower. I was lucky and found someone selling a stock AR230 tower. Now that i have the tower I absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate to drop a few$$$ on one.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been wakeboarding from a ski tow point since 1990. It works just fine. I finally got a boat with a tower, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I've been on a tower once before and you can catch way more air, but don't stress if you don't have one. If you get to the point of trying flips, you might want to look into a tower.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can wakeboard from the tow point but it is much easier from a tower particularly when you are just learning. The trick from a low tow point is the keep the handle in your hip and plently of a back foot/ heel side pressure on the board
Yeah we have done it but we're getting tired/sore after about 10-15 mins...I can wreck on anything I tried some stuff I saw on TV and it didn't go especially well for me..got a standing ova
I've been wakeboarding from a ski tow point since 1990. It works just fine. I finally got a boat with a tower, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I've been on a tower once before and you can catch way more air, but don't stress if you don't have one. If you get to the point of trying flips, you might want to look into a tower.
it just seems like the boat is pulling you down because your standing above the tow point. Get fatigued after about 15-20 mins mainly shoulders/lower back. We can suck it up a little bit I'm sure