• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Lift Questions

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I finally decided to put her in a slip this year. Moving closer to the lake (45 minutes) and ease of use are the two main reasons. I was able to get a used lift for a deal so had that installed last week. Also got a spider net installed to keep the boat clean. Couple of questions for you lift users...

1. What is the proper bunk spacing? I feel I may be a bit wide currently as the bunks contact the chines on both sides of the hull. This seems like a bad long term plan?!? Is it as simple as the spacing between the long trailer bunks? Or is that too narrow? My bunks are just two long parallel bunks.

2. Any tips for tying up the boat? I have it set up for a back on, which is awesome for boarding. I went up yesterday and setup bungee lines that work for the lowered and lifted setting off of the bow, and then fixed lines for the mid cleat (one set for lowered, two set for lifted one forward and one aft), then the stern gets a bungee set for lowered setting. the end result is controlled tension towards the stern that holds the boat about 6 inches off of the dock. I flip the blower on and gently much the stern out about 18 inches until the lift contacts the boat then I disconnect the stern bungee lines and swap out the middle cleats. Seems to work well and gently pulls the boat away from the dock about 3 feet in the event of lift failure.

3. Cleaning tips? I have water at my spot which is nice.

4. Do I need to use anti-pooling poles? I am under a good covered boat house so I am thinking maybe just for winter.

5. Any other thoughts? I have always been a trailer boater so I am basically using similar techniques. I blow out the motors, pull the clean out plugs, take the keys, turn batteries off, leave throttles in reverse, etc. I also have power so the charger is plugged in and I have a float switch bilge directly to the battery so no issues there with batteries switched off.

6. Bimini left deployed okay? Or should I wrap it up every time?

Thanks in advance for any expert opinions you can provide. I am including some pics to help make sense of the situation. And yes the boat is filthy...

P1000055.jpg P1000060.jpg P1000057.jpg View attachment 46033IMG_2232.JPG

Last edited:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know backing in looks cooler and is easier to load but it comes with a few cons. 1) It's much harder to clean the front of the boat, and usually there is more cleaning to do externally at the front. 2) On a really windy day, or on a day when a storm blows in and you are caught on the water backing in will present a huge challenge! I would invest in some good rubber rails or dock fenders to place at the front of the outer most dock supports in case you have to pull the boat in by hand on a windy day.

I would not recommend leaving the bimini deployed. I always wrap mine up. Don't worry about plugs until Sundays. Yes I know you have been trained to ALWAYS take them out. You don't need to. If you go out on Friday, and plan to go out on Saturday or Sunday, just leave them in from Friday until you know you will be done. It saves time and also if you know they were locked in good on Friday, then there is no doubt they are locked in on Saturday or Sunday.

I lightly spray my overhead area and dock area with Demon WP. You will not see any spiders or webs for a good 2-3 months after application of Demon WP. Buy it on Amazon. Water soluble packets. 2 packets per gallon of water. Take the left over Demon WP and spray the outside foundation of your house and the weep holes in the brick and you can then fire your exterminator!

When that cover wears out invest in a good Sunbrella custom cover that will cover the wakeboard tower.

You don't need anti pooling poles. I've been in the same style slip for 6 years and have never used them.

As far as dock lines go, I use 2 at the bow and 2 at the stern. My boat is nose in. I have all the dock lines ties to the lift. I have the aft dock lines set evenly so it holds the boat in the center of the slip, but here is the key part. Set the lines after the boat is on the lift where you want it centered port/stbd, fore/aft. Make sure the boats weight is evenly balanced on the lift and not leaning one way or the other. After you have the boat centered properly attach the dock line to the cleat as you normally would and then tie the line to the lift very tight when the boat is in the raised position. Only do this for the aft or bow. If you have done this right the next time you raise the lift all you have to do is push the boat against the dock lines so they are tight and as the lift comes up the boat is right where you want it. Hope this makes sense.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @BigN8 Do you know what your bunk spacing is like? Trailer width or wider? That is one of my biggest concerns.

I appreciate the Bow vs Stern out discussion and issues. I thought a lot about it before having them install it for the bow out. For me with kids, the safety and ease aspect of boarding trumped the wind/cleaning issues. I figure if its crazy windy I can still just bring it in normally and tie up wet. Also we usually aren't out if its crazy windy and we are in a very protected part of the marina. Thanks for the insight so far!

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't even use dock lines with my lift, but I guess I probably would over the winter. Are those lights for illumination only or do they help with birds? We've got a ton of barn swallows that crap about 1000 times a week on my cover.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jawsf16 Gald to see you're doing less of that trailering nonsense! It looks like your slip is close to land? If that's the case then I think wind blown weather won't be as big of an issue.

Your bunk spacing is ok, but how much room between your forward keel and the lift cross beam? 6 inches is what I like to see.

I personally keep the bimini open all the time. Yeah it wears a little quicker, but it also keeps the mud duabers & spiders from forming nests when it's folded.

Take off a few of those lines. Your spider nets won't do squat if you have spider highways from the dock connected to your boat.

Get a couple of plastic owls, they help deter some of the birds.

If the marina will let you, buy a couple rolls of dock edging and nail it around your slip.

Use pooling poles only when you know you will be gone for more that a couple of weeks. My boat leans just a little forward and I've come out to see some water in the bow that made it through the cover.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice! I am sure this is going to make boating a lot easier for you guys!

If you see or hear of another used lift for sale, give me a shout.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't even use dock lines with my lift, but I guess I probably would over the winter. Are those lights for illumination only or do they help with birds? We've got a ton of barn swallows that crap about 1000 times a week on my cover.
The lights are for both. Anything hanging/sparkling seems to keep the birds away based on others on the dock. Some people also use streamers or banners.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice! I am sure this is going to make boating a lot easier for you guys!

If you see or hear of another used lift for sale, give me a shout.
I will keep my ears open for any other deals. I know there is another lift available on my dock but it is a 4k lift, so not quite enough. We are really excited about not trailering anymore! Been doing that for a long time...

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jawsf16 Gald to see you're doing less of that trailering nonsense! It looks like your slip is close to land? If that's the case then I think wind blown weather won't be as big of an issue.

Your bunk spacing is ok, but how much room between your forward keel and the lift cross beam? 6 inches is what I like to see.

I personally keep the bimini open all the time. Yeah it wears a little quicker, but it also keeps the mud duabers & spiders from forming nests when it's folded.

Take off a few of those lines. Your spider nets won't do squat if you have spider highways from the dock connected to your boat.

Get a couple of plastic owls, they help deter some of the birds.

If the marina will let you, buy a couple rolls of dock edging and nail it around your slip.

Use pooling poles only when you know you will be gone for more that a couple of weeks. My boat leans just a little forward and I've come out to see some water in the bow that made it through the cover.
Thanks for the great info. We are in a very well protected corner. My only concern with the bunks is the chine edges are contacting the bunks. I have about 4 inches or so spacing. I may have them bring it in one notch on each side, but I am going to measure and compare with the trailer first.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used to back in when I had a wet slip. With an air dock I can only bow in. I've gotten used to it, and it is much easier on windy days to bow in. I would have to lower the bimini on really windy days when I was backing in, even then it was a challenge.

You'll love the ease with which you can just go out....especially in the evening after work. Before slipping the boat I'd be way to tired to consider trailering...now I go out every other week during the week!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I may have a lift available I will sell for $3500