• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat lift questions

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Heading to florida for 2 weeks and rented a house with a boat lift. I was planning on bringing a small inflatable boat to go behind my boat and pull the drain plugs at night. However, today i was cleaning my boat and usually i dont have any company when i do it. My friend commented how no water was coming out the drain plugs but it was coming out what looked like a scupper valve. Does this mean i could avoid pulling the drain plugs while its on the lift?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What water are you speaking of? If it is water you are hosing down the inside with that you are fine. Any water in the boat in the cockpit or bow etc. Is self draining out the scupper, one of the features of the Yamaha boat. Only water in the bilge drains out the keel. I wouldn't worry about it. People keep their boats in the water for days and weeks on end. Just always check your engine compartment if you don't have a high water alarm and you should be fine. Check your bilge is working as well.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The soapy water I was washing the boat cockpit with all drained out the scupper. Not a single soap sud in the engine compartment/bilge area. I am planning on using the boat every day but i know there are thunderstorms in the afternoons in June. Just nervous about this but i think i will check it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really no need to get worried. All the rain water in the cockpit and bow will wash out the scupper. Rain in some of the cupholders, etc. Dump into the bilge. Just make sure your bilge pump is working and every now and then lift the hatch and check it. You will be fine.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you. I have never tested the bilge pump as there has never an ounce of water in it. I will do that tomorrow.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an update for the next person....

The boat lift was super easy to use even though it was set up for a 25'

The first night there was a huge thunderstorm. I went out in the morning and there was barely any water visible in the engine compartment. Turned on the bilge pump and it gave one big squirt and was dry. Really a good experience.

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Can anyone tell me the rough design considerations and tolernces for a boat lift?
The house I just boat has a lift that was used for a 20' boat around 4000lbs dry weight.
My lift is about 9' wide and 12' long. That sounds pretty short to use for the 25' boat I would like to get.

I have the marine contractor out to take a look at my lift and give me the 411. The problem is, the soonest they can get here is three days after I am supposed to pick up my boat.

I suspect, its a no go on using the lift until I get it expanded/upgraded. Assuming the weight is under tolerance, can I get away with using this lift temporarily or would it be dangerous?

Here are a few pics. Spectacular weekend down here, all the neighbors were out on the water.

Attachments

OurCrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Can anyone tell me the rough design considerations and tolernces for a boat lift?
The house I just boat has a lift that was used for a 20' boat around 4000lbs dry weight.
My lift is about 9' wide and 12' long. That sounds pretty short to use for the 25' boat I would like to get.

I have the marine contractor out to take a look at my lift and give me the 411. The problem is, the soonest they can get here is three days after I am supposed to pick up my boat.

I suspect, its a no go on using the lift until I get it expanded/upgraded. Assuming the weight is under tolerance, can I get away with using this lift temporarily or would it be dangerous?

Here are a few pics. Spectacular weekend down here, all the neighbors were out on the water.
What is the 411 the contractor gave you?
your boat (255XE) specifications says it is 4680 dry weight which is greater than the 4000 that used to be there.
First question is if the lift can handle that weight ,
Second question would be what is the size of the cradle on the trailer your boat comes with, if the same size as the lift cradle then putting it in same location as on trailer in my opinion would be Ok

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Size wise it looks fine, it is the weight that you need to check. Are there any specs or model numbers on the motors on the lift? If so, we should be able to determine its capacity from them.

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
The beams are rated for 10K lbs. But there is no info on the motor. I figure upgrading motor, cables, or gears for s heavier boat isn't a huge challenge.
But if I have to move pilings because 25' of boat length sits too precariously on 12' of carriage length, its a bigger deal and has my boat sitting in the driveway longer.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The beams are rated for 10K lbs. But there is no info on the motor. I figure upgrading motor, cables, or gears for s heavier boat isn't a huge challenge.
But if I have to move pilings because 25' of boat length sits too precariously on 12' of carriage length, its a bigger deal and has my boat sitting in the driveway longer.
Pilings look fine...I'll be surprised if the motors aren't able to handle 5k lbs....not many lifts smaller than that.