• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat rules

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only thing I will add that has not already been said is No Glass or Glass Bottles.
- Spray Sunscreen is the worst!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you want to eat sunflower seeds or pistachios, they are on the swimdeck, or in the water only. I don't care who thinks they can spit shells the best, they all end up in the cushions.

No smoking, unless on the swimdeck on rare occasions.

If you insist on bringing your shoes, for bar stops etc, they come off at the dock, and go into the head or ski locker only to be taken out at the bar dock.

If you insist on wearing your shoes, you have just volunteered to help clean the boat, and that is always accepted, as it is never offered.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While waiting for warmer weather we've come up with these rules

1. No shoes
2. Kids need to have their own pfd
3. I'll provide adults with pfds
4. Have fun
As your kids grow keep their life jackets you might have family or friend who has a kid who doesnt have one..

We have at least 1 extra of each size from infant (now 2 extra). Not because we bought extra but because of kids growing and needing different sizes or same size.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1. sit down
2. shut up
3. hang on!!

seriously, I invited you, it's all inclusive unless you want to bring something special, enjoy what I have, If you or your kid acts like a jerk for whatever reason we may call it a day early or you won't get invited back,

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here's mine in n particular order:
  1. Shoes go in the shoe bin
  2. BYOB - no red wine as it stains
  3. No spray sunscreen - 50% will land on the deck and can make the deck slippery (that and I have to clean it up). If you don't have any spray sunscreen, we have plenty you're welcome to use
  4. If you have kids, please bring a life jacket that fits them.
  5. Please make and effort to sit evenly from side to side. In a small boat, this will help keep us evenly loaded.
  6. If I ask you to do something, please do it. It you want to know why I'm asking, feel free to ask. Note however, that I may be busy and may take a few moments to answer (when I'm not so busy)
On your thought about life jacket: At the end of the day, you'll be the one to get a ticket if there are not enough life jackets on board for every person. The old orange life jackets are cheap to buy and meet this need. Between those, a couple of inflatables, and the wake boarding jackets, I always have plenty on board.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I get the no shoe rules that you guys are saying but my dock is one hot fu*cker during the summer and if your not wearing shoes or flip flops etc your going to burn your feet. I've never had an issue with shoes or food etc. Its a boat, my family & guests come out to have fun. If I worried about shoe prints or cheesy hand prints on the boat, I'd be stressed out. If someone steps on my boat with shoes, I just take the towel and wipe off the shoe print.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All good stuff here.

I never ask my guests for anything, they usually offer to bring their own food. That's fine, I kinda set the rules for no eating on the boat. I clued my kids in that when I'm explaining the rules to others I may make up examples using them to make things seem like we've experienced them before. They're good with that and often laugh later reminding me that I blamed for them something they never ever did. Guests have often offered to pay if we're at the pump on the way to the lake, and I've often given in, and sometimes said, I'll let you split it with me.
No sunscreen spray I've stressed this one plenty. Almost as much as no orange snacks!

We did have a couple who used to be regulars with us weekly. After two occasions where the wife got nasty (the second time drunk in my face telling me F-YOU! in front of kids and all) we just never had them out with us again. That kind of settled out the relationship on a whole and opened up a spot for many other families to join us. We haven't seen them since the boat invites stopped.... strange.

Richardb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just remember that boating is all about fun. It’s ok to be overly protective of your investment but you also don’t want to come across as being too overbearing for your guests otherwise they won’t come out the next time and you won’t have to worry about rules lol.

I don’t really enforce or set out rules to my guests other than common sense or safety stuff. It’s all about having fun and relaxing. If I stressed over things I won’t be having fun or relaxing. One thing I do not allow is shoes on the boat. I politely tell them this before they enter the boat and tell them to get comfortable. I even put their shoes away for them lol. Oh and no doritos or cheese puffs while inside the cockpit. I’m fine with someone eating them on the swim deck and rinsing their hands off before entering the cockpit. Same with spray tan stuff. If I see someone applies a lot of oils I use towels on the seats. If I get a stain I clean it because I want it done right or it will just be worse and I’ll get agitated so makes more sense for me to do it. It’s best to avoid these foods or drinks inside the boat at all costs thus why I tell people to eat messy foods outside the boat and rinse before entering. Same with muddy areas. The good things about seadek or gator step is it’s easy to clean compared to carpet or upholstery.

Gas tips are always welcome but I never ask for them. I do however ask they help when around the docks as we come in which I’ve never had anyone not want to help there.
One valuable reason i supply the food and drinks is I control what ends up on my deck.....

I like the part about helping out at the dock as everyone always wants to pitch in on something, so giv'em a task as part of the experience. For me it's usually I assign anchor duty to one of the lady's and you'll thank me later for the views.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The only thing I do tell guests:
  • HAVE FUN...no whining
  • Please listen to the Captain at all times
  • Shoes off and in storage once you board
  • Spray sunscreen on the swim deck only
  • BYOB if you don't want what we drink
  • We supply life jackets but come by the house to ensure we have one that fits.
  • No swimming without a life jacket or noodle unaccompanied (applies everyone)

My mental list that I don't publish.....(they have to read my mind):
  • No glass ideally (although wine bottles are hard to work around)
  • No smoking
  • No Red/Orange chips in the boat (eat them on the swim deck..fine)
  • Donations accepted but not required - it all works out in the end!
  • Please help when we return to dock

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I get the no shoe rules that you guys are saying but my dock is one hot fu*cker during the summer and if your not wearing shoes or flip flops etc your going to burn your feet. I've never had an issue with shoes or food etc. Its a boat, my family & guests come out to have fun. If I worried about shoe prints or cheesy hand prints on the boat, I'd be stressed out. If someone steps on my boat with shoes, I just take the towel and wipe off the shoe print.
They can use the swim deck to remove shoes. I’m mainly trying to preserve my upholstery.

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
All good stuff here.

I never ask my guests for anything, they usually offer to bring their own food. That's fine, I kinda set the rules for no eating on the boat. I clued my kids in that when I'm explaining the rules to others I may make up examples using them to make things seem like we've experienced them before. They're good with that and often laugh later reminding me that I blamed for them something they never ever did. Guests have often offered to pay if we're at the pump on the way to the lake, and I've often given in, and sometimes said, I'll let you split it with me.
No sunscreen spray I've stressed this one plenty. Almost as much as no orange snacks!

We did have a couple who used to be regulars with us weekly. After two occasions where the wife got nasty (the second time drunk in my face telling me F-YOU! in front of kids and all) we just never had them out with us again. That kind of settled out the relationship on a whole and opened up a spot for many other families to join us. We haven't seen them since the boat invites stopped.... strange.
Good info here! What was the effects of the sunscreen spray to the interior/exterior of the boat if I may ask?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t have rules per say but things I ask people to avoid is Cheetos and other foods that make a mess and get all over hands. Also try to avoid people using spray sunscreens while in the boat as that stuff sprays everywhere. And no shoes if possible.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only have these hard rules, that I alert you of ahead of time.
-No Shoes
I have a dedicated cheap towel for the hot dock problem. They stand on the towel and take their shoes off. The upholstery is the main concern, hence no shoes on the boat.

-At your own risk, and Follow All instructions
Ahead of time I warn them with the worst that has happened and that this is not risk free. (Jelly Fish Sting, Fish? bite (Something bit her...still don't know what it was), Broken leg from jumping in the water without listening to my clear instruction that there are only 2 ft of water under the boat, all have happened on my watch...)
Also, for their safety, they must follow my instructions right away, always. There's a reason that I'm happy to explain, but it may need to wait a moment before I can, depending on urgency)

Of note, but not a rule I give ahead of time
-Suspicious foods only on the swim deck. (Too colorful/too small)
-I don't have any friends that drink enough to be a problem, so this has never been an issue that I had to worry about. I would hope unless it's a gorgeous specimen drinking to get liquid courage to give me something extraordinary (which is not happening, as I'm married and alcohol makes my wife sleepy) I would expect folks to remain sober enough to safely walk off the boat unassisted, and NOT throw up in the boat.
-I don't take their money. They'll eventually treat me to something that evens it out. I was going to spend almost the same anyway.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bringing money to fuel my boat is like asking people to bring food when I invite them to dinner...tacky. The other issue is asking for money could be considered a commercial operation. If your boat breaks down are you going to issue refunds?

I do have, what I call soft rules. I prefer naked feet but will not make anyone uncomfortable about it. If someone spills or makes a mess they have always cleaned up as much as possible. I'm out to have fun with my friends not to be a Captain Bligh.

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Bringing money to fuel my boat is like asking people to bring food when I invite them to dinner...tacky. The other issue is asking for money could be considered a commercial operation. If your boat breaks down are you going to issue refunds?

I do have, what I call soft rules. I prefer naked feet but will not make anyone uncomfortable about it. If someone spills or makes a mess they have always cleaned up as much as possible. I'm out to have fun with my friends not to be a Captain Bligh.
Definitely see your point on that, thank you!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started putting a large bath towel down on the seat cushion where everyone boards the boat. They can get on with shoes and then take them off once on board.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good info here! What was the effects of the sunscreen spray to the interior/exterior of the boat if I may ask?
It leaves a horrible film on your seats and over time can discolor them, especially is its a tanning spray and not just a sun blocker.

I will warn you, when it's sprayed on the swim deck it can make the Seadek slick once it's wet. It usually washes itself away after a few times coming off plane but I've found it can get slick enough to bust your ass if you've had a few :hungry:....not that it was me or anything :hilarious:

thorsome

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No smoking is the one rule that I’m not willing to waiver for anyone. It amazes me that a couple of folks have gotten annoyed about this.

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1. No shoes
2. No glass
3. No Cheetos
4. New surfers or skiers get as many tries as they want
5. No discouraging new surfers/skiers or you can swim back to the dock
6. The Captain calls the shots. Period.
7. Everyone drinks well, eats well and has a damn good time.
8. Everyone helps wipe down the boat before we put her away