• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat storage for Canadian winters, heated vs. non heated

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi,

I'm starting to research how to store my boat (2015 model 165) which I just purchased this past spring. I've decided to do the winterization myself (from what I understand, this involves: flush with environmentally friendly antifreeze, change oil and filter along with spark plugs, lube up with the XPS lube all parts, add fuel stabilizer and finally inspect clamps, bolts, etc. forgetting anything?)

I'm trying to decide on how to store the boat in Canadian winters that reach down to -30C (-22F), these are my options (Canadian dollars):

1. $0 - Store at a friends place for free in an open field, but have to build some sort of structure to support heavy snow and purchase a tarp, then install all of it. Hopefully be able to reuse the tarp for a few years. I do own the trailering cover but it won't support the snow/ice very well and will get destroyed.

2. $300 - Someone else builds the structure, stores it on their property and shrink wraps the boat with the blue stuff.

3. $320 - Indoor but UNheated storage. No tarps, no sun, no fuss.

4. $480 - Indoor and HEATED storage. The ultimate.

I realize many of you live in the southern USA, keep in mind I'm in reasonably cold climates. What would you all do and why? Obviously I'm trying to keep costs at a minimum, but not at the expense of having issues in the long run.

Merci!

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi,

I'm starting to research how to store my boat (2015 model 165) which I just purchased this past spring. I've decided to do the winterization myself (from what I understand, this involves: flush with environmentally friendly antifreeze, change oil and filter along with spark plugs, lube up with the XPS lube all parts and finally inspect clamps, bolts, etc. forgetting anything?)

I'm trying to decide on how to store the boat in Canadian winters that reach down to -30C (-22F), these are my options (Canadian dollars):

1. $0 - Store at a friends place for free in an open field, but have to build some sort of structure to support heavy snow and purchase a tarp, then install all of it. Hopefully be able to reuse the tarp for a few years. I do own the trailering cover but it won't support the snow/ice very well and will get destroyed.

2. $300 - Someone else builds the structure, stores it on their property and shrink wraps the boat with the blue stuff.

3. $320 - Indoor but UNheated storage. No tarps, no sun, no fuss.

4. $480 - Indoor and HEATED storage. The ultimate.

I realize many of you live in the southern USA, keep in mind I'm in reasonably cold climates. What would you all do and why? Obviously I'm trying to keep costs at a minimum, but not at the expense of having issues in the long run.

Merci!
per month or total?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Total. Per month would be ludicrous :)

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Total. Per month would be ludicrous :)
total I would do heated $480 sounds like a huge deal compared to down here. 4 mths for indoor her would be 175 per mth non powered (not heated)

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Any particular reason besides just having the warm and fuzzy feeling? lol I like the idea of the heated storage, but I'm wondering if it's necessary at all. Obviously lots of boats are stored outside... but then again, I've never owned a boat before. So maybe there are long term issues with the cold? I have to admit, I'm definitely shying away from the $0 option, it's a lot of work and trouble with no guarantee for a few hundred dollars.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
couple benefit for heated storage is no need to pump antifreeze through the exhaust and less chance of moisture / mould .... its not really a big deal though.
you could always purchase one of those canopies that people use as carports, they are sold at home depot or Canadian Tire. one time cost and will probably last 4 or 5 years. maybe your friend will let you leave it up year round....

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any particular reason besides just having the warm and fuzzy feeling? lol I like the idea of the heated storage, but I'm wondering if it's necessary at all. Obviously lots of boats are stored outside... but then again, I've never owned a boat before. So maybe there are long term issues with the cold? I have to admit, I'm definitely shying away from the $0 option, it's a lot of work and trouble with no guarantee for a few hundred dollars.
In my opinion . Heated in Canada, it gets way colder than it does here and would be a safer option. Also thinking its heated probably means its powered. If powered just put a battery tender on it. With a 120 dollar price difference of heated or non. You will greatly reduce the chance of causing a issue of a freeze. I am not saying don't winterize, I still would but that's just me. You would also get to visit it and do mods in the winter time with Heat!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my opinion . Heated in Canada, it gets way colder than it does here and would be a safer option. Also thinking its heated probably means its powered. If powered just put a battery tender on it. With a 120 dollar price difference of heated or non. You will greatly reduce the chance of causing a issue of a freeze. I am not saying don't winterize, I still would but that's just me. You would also get to visit it and do mods in the winter time with Heat!
Thanks for bringing this up. I Just found indoor powered storage for 110 us. Perfect timing too as it was time to move it from the other and now I don't have to drag it to the office.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
haha you're welcome? I've emailed the company about the heated storage asking if I would have access to the boat/electrical. I don't think that's the case... so with that in mind, I may go for the non heated option. I am planning on winterizing regardless.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Stored my boats in Wisconsin in non-heated for years with no issue. Yamaha boats don't need to be flushed with Anti-freeze...not sure about the Scarab winterization process due to the heat exchanger....but either way, you want to winterize it properly regardless of heated or not.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Well for the curious folks... heated storage was all booked up. Nothing available. Either way, it seems heated storage is a nice to have but not a must. So I did manage to book a spot in a non heated garage. Thanks for your opinions/advice.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I store my boat a outside for the winter and Shrinkwrap it myself. 3 of us went in on the equipment to reduce the cost. We do a better job than most places that do it. I live in Barrie Ontario so the same winter conditions you experience. No issues to date. If you go the indoor route I would still winterize your boat. One power failure during a cold spell could lead to trouble.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Good to hear it's working out well for you. I booked indoor storage, but not heated. I am indeed winterizing it regardless every winter. I don't trust others even if it was supposedly heated. Especially considering how easy it is to winterize these things.