• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boating Accident in FL Keys

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That’s terrible. I wonder if it was poor visibility. I’ve never heard of someone hitting a channel marker.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have some channel markers here in the Great Lakes and they are pretty darn big. Is it the same everywhere?

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nearest one to my marina is like a 12” diameter metal tube that is like 10’ tall at high tide and someone still managed to run it over.

Years ago, I saw someone nail one on the ICW in New Jersey. Captain said a towel blew in his face, but he was also going too fast and was too close to the marker like he thought it was a slalom course.

I don’t boat at night, how hard are the unlit ones to see at night? I can see someone not knowing the area come up on one too quick.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am not at all familiar with the area of the accident, so no telling from my point of view which way the boat was heading. As per usual the “news” article is light on details, heading and an accurate location.

According to the nws, and as close as I can put the boats location, at the time of the accident the sky was clear, wind at 1755hrs was E @ 6mph. I cannot find what the swell was at the time of the accident.

Looked up what light condition would be like on a clear day and there was still a hour left of daylight at the time of the accident. The sun was only four fingers above the horizon, so right in your face if heading west.

F6EB6F79-4C9B-4AE9-8811-0278B2399002.png

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well Ive seen them run boats right up on the banks (big twin contender), hit piers and leave prop cuts in pilings 10' above the dock (Big SeaVee with twins)... run jetskis into bridge abutments and thats all within 2 mile radius of me... in broad daylight... some live some don't and sometimes they don't find the bodies... ive seen them run a big world cat right into the rocks, bend props, fall off jetskis in 12" of water and bust themselves up on the coral chunks... I cant imagine what FWC, CBP, USCG and the NAVY see... I monitor 9/16 when Im on the boat and occasionally when im at home the calls come over the radio... its all the time...

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This was in Miami not the Keys as everyone knows them Close the Blackpoint for those who follow the Chit Show on youtube. They were in Biscayne Bay so swell was not a factor as its pretty proteted, my guess was sun from thre sunset was in there eyes since they say alochal was not a factor. Local news here said all 11 people were thrown out of the boat in impact so hey were definatly going fast.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was in Miami not the Keys as everyone knows them Close the Blackpoint for those who follow the Chit Show on youtube. They were in Biscayne Bay so swell was not a factor as its pretty proteted, my guess was sun from thre sunset was in there eyes since they say alochal was not a factor. Local news here said all 11 people were thrown out of the boat in impact so hey were definatly going fast.
Very sad stuff, the stuff you see on chit show I sometimes wonder if it's like, all the time or just feels like it for the show.

When we went down to the keys earlier this year I was talking to a charter captain, he said lobster mini season is the worst down there. Apparently.it gets worse and worse every year, people pulling guns on each other and sometime shooting over "this is my lobster spot", drunk af dad's accidentally running.over amd drowning their kids that are in the water, people going off the road after getting back to shore they're so drunk...

The keys are really wonderful, but people are ruining them. This happening more in Miami area, Miami is a total chit show.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have an issue here where some of the very large channel markers have sheared off right at the waterline from corrosion. A number of boats have hit their remants (just a 12" open end steel pipe) at speed at higher tides when they aren't visible.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have an issue here where some of the very large channel markers have sheared off right at the waterline from corrosion. A number of boats have hit their remants (just a 12" open end steel pipe) at speed at higher tides when they aren't visible.
ouch that will ruin your day

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The channel markers around here are either telephone poles with red or green reflective signs or small bouys. Both of can be hard to see in the dark. Very few are lit. I carry a spot light for use at night.
Sunday I saw a telephone pole marker in a slow speed zone (min wake) broken about a foot above the water line.

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most channel markers I've seen on the ICW and upper gulf coast are wood pylons with reflective daymark signs and a few with accompanying lights. Deeper waters get the nuns/cans or buoys.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where this happened was only 6 feet deep, This is the marker they hit. Im not sure if this is from pre or post accident. If post accident (no pun intended) then the dent in the post is probably from the boat
.1663359475338.png

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I boat in this area all the timetje markers are very visible. At 6:30 pm you still have a lot of daylight to see. They mention 14 passengers in a boat, that is a lot of distraction if they are not all sitting and that most likely played into the accident. As per the coment of the shitshow "I wonder of its like that all the time" it is! Specially blackpoint marina, way to many new boaters in the last 2 years with more money then brains.