• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bottom Paint or No Bottom Paint

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2015 242 LS and wet slip the boat during the 4-5 summer months we get here in Ohio. We go out 3-4 a week in season. Last season I kept the boat in the water all season and at the end of the season the algae and barnacle growth were horrible. It took me and my brother in law about 4-5 hours to clean with the Acid mix. I know I probably should have had the boat cleaned a time or two but I'm thinking about doing a SeaHawk bottom paint. They seem to have the higher grade out there as far as what a few of the boat shops have said. I'm having a hard time though deciding on to paint or not to paint. I know most of the pros and cons but I thought i'd ask you guys one more time in case I am missing something. Thanks in advance guys. Enjoy the day !!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Consider how long you plan to own the boat (#seasons in water) and what minimum price you are willing to accept when you sell it. Convenience of use is key in maximizing a boat's fun per dollar; but fun per dollar starts to go back down if you neglect things and wear it out. You have two things to fight: blistering and algae growth.

A barrier coat like Interlux Interprotect 2000e or TotalBoat TotalProtect would prevent blistering damage. Then to fight bacteria and subsequent algae growth, you add the Seahawks or perhaps a product like VC17m for a more conventional looking protection or maybe Aurora VS721 https://www.auroramarine.com/store/vs721-bottom-coat.html to name a couple.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like Clemson said, bottom paint on this type of boat is generally something to brr avoided. Look into high and dry/ boatel storage. It offers almost all of the convenience of wet slipping with none of the draw backs. In my neck of the woods it costs 50-60% more than a wet slip.

Andy,

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the above post but do also see why you would want to do it. I had bottom paint on my SX240 it really didn't effect performance at all it was still a 50 mph boat but the reality is it was still a 4+ hour job to repaint it each year so either way you are going to spend that time playing with the bottom of the boat. I probably wouldn't do it again was the same head ache for something that reduced the value of the boat. With that said the only way I would do again it is if my boat was in water that was heavily discoloring my hull as that after years will become tougher to get out.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, you'll have the same time invested repainting every/every other year.

If the boatel isn't an option, just have it professionally cleaned every year. It'll be cheaper than whatever value will be lost by painting imo.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd spend a little money on a floating lift WAY before I'd consider bottom paint. I went with an Airdock for $3K and figured it would pay for itself in 4-5 years (link in the fine print of my signature). I was paying for my marina to clean my boat twice a year, and then paying a lot more in gas in between due to the drag on the hull slowing the boat down BIG TIME (like max speed on my 230 was 37mph when furry). The convenience of being in a slip and having a clean boat is the best combination in my mind!

I would really like a Sunstream V-Lift....but those were more than I wanted to spend....although I'm sure the resale is much better! Since I bought my Airdock, 2 other boats at my marina have gone with them!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And I forgot to mention....I was the first person at my marina to get a floating lift....I had to talk to the marina manager about it, and initially he was like...."No lifts allowed", then after showing him how they worked and that nothing attached to the dock...that it was just like a floating boat....he agreed to go with it.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A pressure washer will take off growth easily. I say no bottom paint and pull it once a month and wash it.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys, I'm going to stay away from the bottom paint. I'll break the news to the marina tomorrow. I have to stop being so lazy and clean the bottom more often.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I actually disagree that a power washer will take it off. After I moved from wet to lift last year, I took my boat out and tried to power wash with my 3000 psi. Did next to nothing. Only toilet bowl cleaner worked. Thing I hate most is that its still around/under my bunks. Pretty sure I'll take it to the marina and have them hoist it out to get perfectly clean. Still cant do more than 45mph when in the boat by myself. That was yesterday on calm waters with 65 degree temps.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oxalic acid is your friend!

--

Reaction score
Boat Make
Kawasaki
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
You must paint your boat if you're not planning to sell it. Before painting a boat clean the boat and Service it properly in case it's needed. You can use a boat trailer that might make your task easy. You can use Primer before painting a boat that gives an amazing finishing and look to your boat. A fresh paint coated boat also helps to avoid aquatic life from attaching on bottom of your boat.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You must paint your boat if you're not planning to sell it. Before painting a boat clean the boat and Service it properly in case it's needed. You can use a boat trailer that might make your task easy. You can use Primer before painting a boat that gives an amazing finishing and look to your boat. A fresh paint coated boat also helps to avoid aquatic life from attaching on bottom of your boat.
Not too many people here apply ablative bottom paint on their hulls with these boats. Many are trailered to and from the water. Others in salt water locatiions will not wet slip for very long and most will be using a lift for any extended stays. In the fresh water Lake I boat in, 6 months in a wet slip will get you a little growth of algae and zebra mussels. It is easily cleaned off with oxalic acid, Starbrite Hull Cleaner. I do not put bottom paint on the Yamaha...however I do like having it on the hull of out 35' Sailboat, makes it easier to clean in the Fall when we haul out for Winter.

The only areas of concern up this way is equipment mounted below the waterline, which we usually do not paint, some cannot be painted. The X-ducer on the Beneteau, after 6 mos in the water, was the only growth medium on that boat, because of the bottom paint.20191022_111421.jpg On the Yamaha it is all the equipment mounted on the transom, the steering fins, nozzle etc. 20181011_093041.jpgThe fiberglass/gelcoat hull is easily cleaned after 6 mos. in a wet slip.20181012_083129.jpg 20181012_103415.jpg

Not sure where you are at in the USA, salt or fresh water boating, show us a picture of the bottom paint on your 2012 Kawasaki GT 27 for example. I am trying to figure out what a craft like this looks like.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
clickbait?

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The only areas of concern up this way is equipment mounted below the waterline, which we usually do not paint, some cannot be painted. The X-ducer on the Beneteau, after 6 mos in the water, was the only growth medium on that boat, because of the bottom paint.View attachment 108712 On the Yamaha it is all the equipment mounted on the transom, the steering fins, nozzle etc. View attachment 108713The fiberglass/gelcoat hull is easily cleaned after 6 mos. in a wet slip.View attachment 108714View attachment 108715
The zebra mussels in that second pic on the nozzle/fin hardware are nightmarish. :eek:
Maybe it's just my "must clean" neurosis, but I could only ever imagine keeping a boat wet slipped if it absolutely couldn't be racked, airdocked, lifted or otherwise kept on a trailer (sailboats, bigger cruisers, etc.).

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The zebra mussels in that second pic on the nozzle/fin hardware are nightmarish. :eek:
Maybe it's just my "must clean" neurosis, but I could only ever imagine keeping a boat wet slipped if it absolutely couldn't be racked, airdocked, lifted or otherwise kept on a trailer (sailboats, bigger cruisers, etc.).
I don't like them, but I am not affraid of them. Easily controlled on the Yamaha by hauling the boat out once or twice during the season and giving it a quick brushing. But not too much of a problem to get them off if you don't clean during the season. Starbrite, a stiff brush and a flat screwdriver to pry the stubborn ones off in hard to get spots.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a used boat severlaal years back that was wet slipped all summer, I freaked out when I realized how bad the botton was with stains, algae etc.

After trying all te expensive stuff that is supposed to make it easy, and of course nothing work very well, came across this, use a 50/50 mixture of Lysol Blue Gel toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. Buy cheap plastic spray bottle and spray on. Let sit , then scrub with scrub brush, brings it right off. Best of all, less than $10.00 total. I always keep a bottle mixed up for when we get back from vacation when the boat is wet slipped for 1-2 weeks. Lakes are dirty.

Of course I image there are allot worse cases than mine was , but for $10.00, cheap to try.

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I don't like them, but I am not affraid of them. Easily controlled on the Yamaha by hauling the boat out once or twice during the season and giving it a quick brushing. But not too much of a problem to get them off if you don't clean during the season. Starbrite, a stiff brush and a flat screwdriver to pry the stubborn ones off in hard to get spots.
Amazing the amount of Zebra mussel you accumulate , we are on the same lake, I'm on the New York side you on the Vermont side and when I pull my boat after 3 months on the wet slip I have maybe a half dozen around my drain plug, that's it...Boat at Marina.jpg64550558_10219063303192138_7888472291175038976_n.jpg

Before and after Star Brite hull cleaner, 3 months on the wet slip.

Last edited: