• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow handles mod for 2015 boats

webbug

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone with 2015 boat thought of doing this mod? The bow area is a bit different from the previous years.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@webbug - I am all in for a mod -- however what exactly are you talking about? I looked a few pics of the previous years and nothing really popped out to me as to what you are referring to.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't see why it would be any different for the newer boats but if a lot of the increase in size is in the length of the anchor locker door using the same grab handles may make them seem smaller. Sorry but this is the best pic I could find at the moment.
image.jpg

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is my first Yam - I do like those handles. If anyone gets a good game plan on how the install should go I would love to know. That definitely seems like a great mod to install.

Thanks for the suggestion. - something else for me wife to say I "don't need" and me do anyways. haha

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I copied someone else's mod for mine. Basically just ordered two grab handles like the ones already on the boat at the back of the cockpit. I purchase from yamaha sports plaza in Seattle. If you go this route don't forget to order 4 washers and 4 nuts/bolts as well. It's an easy mod, just measure and drill four small holes. Total cost was around $70. Oh and don't forget to assure that the wiring for the nav light is clear before you drill and that you can reach the nuts/bolts of the handle with a wrench through the anchor locker.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

webbug

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I copied someone else's mod for mine. Basically just ordered two grab handles like the ones already on the boat at the back of the cockpit. I purchase from yamaha sports plaza in Seattle. If you go this route don't forget to order 4 washers and 4 nuts/bolts as well. It's an easy mod, just measure and drill four small holes. Total cost was around $70. Oh and don't forget to assure that the wiring for the nav light is clear before you drill and that you can reach the nuts/bolts of the handle with a wrench through the anchor locker.
Do you have the hardware part numbers?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a screen shot I took off of yamaha sports plazas site. It's or the 2015 242 ls. I believe the parts are 30 through 33.
image.jpg

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie - you should want 37 - 40. The ones you are looking at are the "o-shit" handles next to the passenger seat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The ones I ordered are the same ones that are at the back corners of the cockpit but yes, I recommend getting the longer of the two. It's been a good well used upgrade for my guests and crew while on the water and for me out of the water when I want access the cockpit from the bow while the boat is on the trailer.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie - AMEN to getting into the boat from the trailer. You sold me on that comment alone!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@webbug, @Ronnie -

Thanks to your post I finally was able to get this mod completed. This has to be one of my favorite mods so far!! Quick and easy and used every time we take the boat out!!

Amazon's handles @ $14 each, plus about $8 at the local hardware store. Finished and perfect!!

Attachments

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@webbug, @Ronnie -

Thanks to your post I finally was able to get this mod completed. This has to be one of my favorite mods so far!! Quick and easy and used every time we take the boat out!!

Amazon's handles @ $14 each, plus about $8 at the local hardware store. Finished and perfect!!

That looks great. What size handle did you use? It looks like you got the handle without studs.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@webbug, @Ronnie -

I'm not finding any $14 Stainless handles on Amazon...can you link to them?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Thor - I did get the one without studs. I wanted to be able to tighten with a bolt, lock-nut, and blue lock-tite. I also used neoprene washers on both sides of the fiberglass and then those large washers below to assist in spreading the torque of people hanging on it.

I believe I used the 9" option of these handles from Amazon. Then I just got a few dollars of stainless hardware from the local ACE. I wasn't too worried about water on the bow but you could always add some quick drying 3M 3400 marine sealant.
http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Stainless-Steel-Handrail-Handle/dp/B00FY42O74?ie=UTF8&keywords=boat stainless handle&qid=1464045631&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bennie