• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Box Anchor Praise

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just wanted to praise my small box anchor.

I've now had it for 1 year and I must say it is a great purchase. It is a heavy SOB to be pulling up from 50+ feet, but the good news is that it sticks, and 95% of the time, on the first try with less than 2:1 scope.

I've been on the ocean with it diving in Bimini, the Ohio river with the current running strong several times, and lake cumberland, which is a deep lake with narrow coves so letting out 7:1 scope is never an option. It has held every time I've used it and only a couple of times have I had to let out the prescribed 2:1 scope after the initial toss and then letting out some additional rode.

Wishes? That it would fit in the anchor locker assembled, that it were lighter and still worked the same, and that the spring mechanism for assembly didn't need to much periodic lubing (Haven't tried grease yet).

If you have issues anchoring, this anchor seems to check almost all the boxes! Thanks to fellow Jet Boaters that praised this in the past! It made me a believer.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I used ours for the first time this weekend. I was impressed. didn't move at all for a couple hours. 15-20 mph winds also. Sandy bottom 5' deep.

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree. It's a great anchor. I use it all the time in ocean waves, winds, and currents. Never had an issue with it not sticking in the Florida sand.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like mine as well, mine actually fits in the locker assembled...barely, but it fits. I haven't folded it since I got it.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree, it's a great anchor, but it's a PITA for what's needed in the FL sand. I have one sitting the the garage that I used once.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I Love mine as well. It is heavy and can be a back breaker when pulling it in but man it holds really well. I too have been on the Ohio river with heavy current and it held!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
RE: the anchor being super heavy... watch this:

Skip to 2:05. it's boring I know, but in short, you use a buoy a ring and your engines instead of your back to lift the anchor off the bed. Might be tricky with a box anchor since there's no chain on the rode to counter balance the anchor once it's all the way up, but that's an easy fix ;-). I use this method for my Manson Supreme and it works just about every time.

Edit: Amazon has these on sale with prime shipping. You can get one cheaper, but not a stainless steal one that's this size: http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Anchor-Retrieval-Stainless/dp/B004UOTPLW

Tomlist704

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a small box anchor and it has been great for my 21FT Yamaha. It has held first time each time out. But I seem to be getting a lot more boat movement than I had in the past from passing waves. Any advice or add-ons to help with this issue? Not sure if it is the length of line, positioning etc. Might just be the way it is and that's fine, I am glad it holds unlike my fluke which pulled up 70% of the time.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used my box anchor this weekend at the coast near Beaufort NC. The wind and the tide were so strong it would not hold the boat! I tried setting it over and over to no avail! Other than that it has held every time. Even held mine and another 21 footer at the same time. I don't know why it wouldn't hold this past weekend. I still love it though. Planning on getting some other small anchor to double up when it get that bad again. Any suggestions? I wonder if one of their small box anchors would work as a double up?

Tomlist704

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used my box anchor this weekend at the coast near Beaufort NC. The wind and the tide were so strong it would not hold the boat! I tried setting it over and over to no avail! Other than that it has held every time. Even held mine and another 21 footer at the same time. I don't know why it wouldn't hold this past weekend. I still love it though. Planning on getting some other small anchor to double up when it get that bad again. Any suggestions? I wonder if one of their small box anchors would work as a double up?
I suggest you buy a 5ft chain rubber coated and to the front on very choppy days. I have that added to mine and has held every time even with only a few feet of rope out. With that said, you should use 7ft of line out for each ft of water depth.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I tried all different lengths of rope. But nothing seemed to help. I guess the chain may be the way to go. Although I may try the baby box anchor as an add on to help. And that way I can use the baby one on calm days at the lake.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I watch people struggle to Anchor in Lake Travis all the time. It has a rocky bottom and fluke anchors are hard to set. My box anchor works every time.

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have used the box anchor and shoe spike with my last two boats and they have never let me down. I boat mainly in Lake Havasu and Lake Mohave. About 5 years ago I was in Lake Havasu for a 5 day stay and upon readying my boat to launch the next day after I arrived, I realized I had forgotten my shore spike. The house I was renting was 1.5 miles away from where they were located so I took a shot the next morning at 7:30 am and knocked on their door. A guy answered the door and I told my story to him. He sold me a shore spike at a discount and even gave me a new bag for my spike at home. Just as I was leaving he told me that they don't normally sell to the public but he did it because the local stores were not open. He gave me a business card and told me to visit the website. The remember business card had the name Ryan and "owner" on it (didn't remember the last name).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put off buying a box anchor for my previous yamaha jet boat because of the price. When i upgraded to a 242 ls a small box anchor came with it. I have been hooked since the first time i used it, to the point where i got rid of my other anchors and purchased another box anchor as a stearn or spare.

I have only folded up the main box anchor to confirm that it works other than that it sits under one of the bow seats ready to deploy at a moments notice. If somehow i lost both box anchors on the same day i would buy a new one immediately, no questions other than, "When will i get it?"

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even though mine did not hold that day I would still get another if I lost it somehow. I really do like it. I don't think many other anchors would have held by their self without some help!

Walt McCree

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got ours this week. I can't wait to get out and try it!

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Count me in as a believer. I made the 18 inch metal dowel and hang it collapsed in the anchor locker. Works great. We have been in some good wind and had other boats float to us. But we never move. I just park, toss it over and throw out a 2:1 rode. Th boat sets itself. Works great every time so far.

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Love our box anchor, sets and holds every time. Is a bit of a PITA cleaning the mud of it (Dallas area - mud bottom lakes) but worth not having to think about it once we throw it out.

Stuart

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You have heard of "use the force Luke"...if your box anchor doesn't hold..." Use more scope Luke". That is all it takes. Never use chain with a box anchor. It defeats the purpose and will foul the anchor.