• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new to boating & this site from Bedford, Tx

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_4193.JPG Hi! My wife, Jeannine, and I just purchased our first boat this week...a 2012 Yamaha SX210! We are looking forward to taking it out for the first time tomorrow (Sat, July 1). I am also looking forward to gaining new knowledge from this site!!

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great choice for a first boat!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you found us, where are you going to put in at? Do you have boating experience or this will also be the first time launching/retrieving?

I may suggest even with the temptation of a new boat sitting in the driveway you pick a slow time to take the boat out. You don't want to be at a busy ramp being your fist time, as nice as some of us are there are a lot of jackasses out there who will either be drunk or just not care. Can your wife work the truck/trailer or boat or will you do everything yourself?

Check out our FAQ for lots of great tips ( I think we may even have a new boater/launch check list)

Remember no thrust = no steering

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you found us, where are you going to put in at? Do you have boating experience or this will also be the first time launching/retrieving?

I may suggest even with the temptation of a new boat sitting in the driveway you pick a slow time to take the boat out. You don't want to be at a busy ramp being your fist time, as nice as some of us are there are a lot of jackasses out there who will either be drunk or just not care. Can your wife work the truck/trailer or boat or will you do everything yourself?

Check out our FAQ for lots of great tips ( I think we may even have a new boater/launch check list)

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Thank you Scott for the advice! This is our first time out (my dad had a boat when I was a kid, but this is my first boat & my first launchIMG_4194.JPG ). I have been doing a lot of practicing with the trailer this week. I have a very narrow driveway & have had no real issues getting it to the back of my driveway. The attached pic is my driveway...there are just inches between the trailer fenders & the brick wall & tree. So far I'm managing this!! I've watched a million videos (I know that doesn't replace the real thing) & have read the launch threads on this site. I'm going to be a little nervous, but I think we can do it! We are going to head out to Lake Worth fairly early...I've been told that this lake has less traffic than some of the other area lakes (I live in the D/FW area so there is no short supply of surrounding lake choices) & this is the same place my dealership gave me the orientation. My wife won't be much help yet, but we'll work on teaching her! We are going to go out with just the wife & I the first time (no kids or friends) so I can be a little more comfortable before adding others to the mix. Please feel free to add any other advice you guys have! I'm excited to be in the boating community!

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome - I remember my first launch, I grew up with boats so I had all kinds of experience. The launch was good, the retrieval was a nightmare, I had a heck of a time getting the boat to the dock as I had no experience with driving the jets yet. Finally discovered that even though the boat was in neutral, it was still under propulsion, once I discovered that, and got close and shut the motors off, then it was cake.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This was my first boat also (seven years ago) plan for the worst hope for the best and don't go faster than your willing to hit something. I've been sideways on the trailer trying to load it, gave the dock a pretty solid kiss, ran over some shallow bottoms, forgot the transom plug, forgot the cleanout plugs, sucked up some ropes.......

There's not much that you probably won't experience that most of us haven't done before, just have patience and know it will get easier with repetition. Get your wife driving asap, it will make boating so much easier.

Remember, boat is in the water, bilge pump should be on (you should hear it cycle when you hit the switch with the engines off).

If you need any help let me know I work in Grapevine and boat on Lewisville.

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was my first boat also (seven years ago) plan for the worst hope for the best and don't go faster than your willing to hit something. I've been sideways on the trailer trying to load it, gave the dock a pretty solid kiss, ran over some shallow bottoms, forgot the transom plug, forgot the cleanout plugs, sucked up some ropes.......

There's not much that you probably won't experience that most of us haven't done before, just have patience and know it will get easier with repetition. Get your wife driving asap, it will make boating so much easier.

Remember, boat is in the water, bilge pump should be on (you should hear it cycle when you hit the switch with the engines off).

If you need any help let me know I work in Grapevine and boat on Lewisville.
Thanks again...hearing that, maybe I won't feel so embarrassed when I do something stupid! Grapevine is closest to me, but I figured it would be crazy busy this weekend.

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome - I remember my first launch, I grew up with boats so I had all kinds of experience. The launch was good, the retrieval was a nightmare, I had a heck of a time getting the boat to the dock as I had no experience with driving the jets yet. Finally discovered that even though the boat was in neutral, it was still under propulsion, once I discovered that, and got close and shut the motors off, then it was cake.
I drove it quite a bit on my orientation. I did a lot is stopping, backing, turning, etc. The guy who did my orientation said that was good practice & that most buyers just get out there & throw the throttle down. I felt like I had a good feel of how it maneuvers! We shall see!

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm sure you will do fine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Having a 2nd experienced boater with you can be VERY helpful on that first outing. Especially if they can reliably drive the car and trailer WITHOUT hitting anything, and can back it up! Take your time and have fun!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard and congrats! I had a 2012 SX240, the same color...The Blue Yonder! Another family @Betik now has her and they are headed to Bimini in July with her! You will have a pretty good learning curve, but your game plan sounds solid for now. When you get to the ramp, practice getting on and off the trailer several times before the crowds get there for the afternoon retrieval. Also practice getting to a dock if you will have to use one. Driving the boat is pretty simple, but those two things can be the real challenge. The hull is high tech, but it is thin, as is the gelcoat layer, so even a small stone on the shore can really gouge it. Mine and many others philosophy is to put the anchor out in deeper water, and back up the the beach, then use a shore spike to to the stern to, and keep the boat off the bottom and shore always. Watch the jet nozzles, you don't want them in the bottom either. And don't power on and off the shore, push out and get at least 3' of water under the intakes before you start up, your intakes are like a big vacuum cleaner and will suck whatever it gets off the bottom into the pumps! Don't forget to smile and have fun! Incidents happen, but limiting them saves on the wallet. Here is a checklist I designed for my situation. You can alter it to fit yours, it was created in Word. Congrats again and welcome to Jetboaters.net!!!

Attachments

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard and congrats! I had a 2012 SX240, the same color...The Blue Yonder! Another family @Betik now has her and they are headed to Bimini in July with her! You will have a pretty good learning curve, but your game plan sounds solid for now. When you get to the ramp, practice getting on and off the trailer several times before the crowds get there for the afternoon retrieval. Also practice getting to a dock if you will have to use one. Driving the boat is pretty simple, but those two things can be the real challenge. The hull is high tech, but it is thin, as is the gelcoat layer, so even a small stone on the shore can really gouge it. Mine and many others philosophy is to put the anchor out in deeper water, and back up the the beach, then use a shore spike to to the stern to, and keep the boat off the bottom and shore always. Watch the jet nozzles, you don't want them in the bottom either. And don't power on and off the shore, push out and get at least 3' of water under the intakes before you start up, your intakes are like a big vacuum cleaner and will suck whatever it gets off the bottom into the pumps! Don't forget to smile and have fun! Incidents happen, but limiting them saves on the wallet. Here is a checklist I designed for my situation. You can alter it to fit yours, it was created in Word. Congrats again and welcome to Jetboaters.net!!!
Great advice & awesome checklist...thanks for sharing!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Gerry Smith , a few other thoughts...it would be a good idea to change that bow roller to the Stolz Ultimate, that stock roller has been known to scratch up the bow. And always stow your bimini when loading/unloading/docking, it is like a big sail, and it catches even a breeze and drags you off your intended course easily. I put CE SMITH guide posts and LED cap lights on both my Yamahas as it made it easy to back the trailer as well as helped to keep me from drifting off on approach to the trailer. Your driveway at night...they will show you the back corners of your trailer and make that job easier too. Welcome to us helping to spend your money!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hear-Hear!!!
@txav8r 's baby girl 14 hours prior to starting a 1,300 mile trip. After her lake Powell honeymoon, it is time for her to have her saltyhoneymoon.
Don't worry Mel, I fogged ( 1 min per cylinder) her last week and got I protection to spray all over the metallic parts.
IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4800.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I edited your post to show full images @Betik , good luck, fair winds and following seas to all of you.