• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broke a screw in fiberglass. How do i remove?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Installing screws for my cockpit cover and apparently needed a slightly larger bit size or something because it snapped the head right off.
No idea what to do now so put the tools away. Best thought so far is to drill right next to it and cover with another snap but then it will stick up a bit.

20160711_201741.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Installing screws for my cockpit cover and apparently needed a slightly larger bit size or something because it snapped the head right off.
No idea what to do now so put the tools away. Best thought so far is to drill right next to it and cover with another snap but then it will stick up a bit.

View attachment 41506
Do you have easy outs or equivalent set of screw extractors? I had to drill out the fuel hatch bolts and it worked for me on a few of them. I think it would do nicely to remove the broken portion in the fiberglass.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you get to it underneath? If so, use pliers and twist it back out the way it came from.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The screw is very small. #6 i believe. I can try the easy out but going to be extremely hard to get it started.

The screw is hardly through the other side. Can't get pliers on it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Btw the response time of members on this website is absolutely amazing.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you tried drilling into it? You might start with a very small bit then keep going up in size.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The screw is very small. #6 i believe. I can try the easy out but going to be extremely hard to get it started.

The screw is hardly through the other side. Can't get pliers on it.
The smallest easy out thing should be able to drill into the broken screw, once you have the 'tunnel' drilled into the screw you flip the bit and use the reverse thread extractor tip. It should work well even with the small #6 screw stud. At worst, it will drill it out and then you will be good to go. I had a panic moment when the screw securing the port Bimini head broke off. I used easy out to drill it out.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd imagine that once the drill bit "bites" It'll probably screw itself all the way through if you start drilling it out.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't have anything to add, other than if you keep going with the holes, use the recommended drill, but add a few in/out strokes with the drill to enlarge the hole. I found that the snaps didn't go in very easily unless I enlarged the hole very slightly, then they went in like butter. Additionally, if the hole is too small, it will likely cause the gelcoat to crack. This was especially true of the snaps that needed to go into the metal frame of the window.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I don't have anything to add, other than if you keep going with the holes, use the recommended drill, but add a few in/out strokes with the drill to enlarge the hole. I found that the snaps didn't go in very easily unless I enlarged the hole very slightly, then they went in like butter. Additionally, if the hole is too small, it will likely cause the gelcoat to crack. This was especially true of the snaps that needed to go into the metal frame of the window.
Well, i have here an ebay special. No instructions. Clips for on the windshield but they pop off super easy. Put some short screws through those but not they pull up that rubber strip. I guess i go buy longer screws or get more of the screw in type to re do it.

Tried the easy out, won't bite. Too much angle how it snapped.
Tried to do a small pilot hole with a 1/16" and no luck there either.
Pliars just ain't happening.

There is JUST enough sticking out that i may be able to take a dremel and make a flat cut and try to drill in center again. Maybe use a pointy stone bit for getting it started?

LyonsAR210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I broke off a screw taking off one of my seats...I had to cut it off with a dremel tool. Was able to get below the fiberglass just enough so it didn't protrude, then used some 5200 to cover it (it was behind the seat so wasn't worried about the finish). If it shows, you might try a patch kit.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you have to make the hole too big for a screw to hold The snap while getting it out, You could always through bolt it in place.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like you're going to need to make a mess to fix it. Try the dremel slit first. If that fails, drill holes all of the way around that broken stud deep enough to get your plyers on it and get a bite. Grab it and turn it out. After its out, fill the area with micro balloons and gel coat it. After that's all dry try it again.

If you can see it and get to it on the backside, this tactic might work from the back but a very delicate task for sure.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well, i already asked my BIL for my gelcoat back for fixing other cracks and scrapes so cutting it out somehow may be only option but fixable.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is a snap going over it? If so can you drill 1/16 holes around it in a circle until it comes loose then fill the hole with 5200 or epoxy, let it dry then redrill and cover the spot with the snap?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is a snap going over it? If so can you drill 1/16 holes around it in a circle until it comes loose then fill the hole with 5200 or epoxy, let it dry then redrill and cover the spot with the snap?
Correct. In fact, if I feel confident enough about the dremel I may just leave it in and try and screw in next to it. There is a small crack in the gelcoat but not the end of the world there. It's a well used and abused boat!
Just trying to get this done before @Shelbyville !

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length