• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cable replacement project

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In order to prepare a 10 year old boat for the next summer and bimini i decided to change the steering and reverse cables along with installing a 2nd bilge pump. I spent a few hours each afternoon tearing the boat apart and getting ready for the cable work on saturday..
20171117_164800.jpg 20171115_165319.jpg 20171117_164829.jpg 20171117_164913.jpg 20171117_164919.jpg

Once the boat was significantly destroyed replacing the cables was a sinch. One reverse cable wasnt long for this world.

20171118_115819.jpg

And one steering cable was bent.. no pic..

At the end of the day..

20171118_143631.jpg
The old ones are on the ground,

20171118_143645.jpg the new ones in place a sealed.

I have to thank my wife @Qhorse572 .. she was all in this project... got all dirty an sealant in her hair but she was a trooper.. (the only pic i have was with her head down applying sealant and her butt up in the air... figured i better not post that one).

Tomorrow installing the throu hull discharge for the 2nd bilge pump and figuring out pump placement!! Its been a good day!

A few bumps & bruises....I'm so glad he excluded that extra picture....

@bronze_10 wow, looks great guys! Did you have any trouble sourcing the parts? Did you use OEM or aftermarket?

--

Nice job! You are going to love how smooth and easy the controls are now. I know I did.

Through hull and hose routing completed,

21869.jpeg 21870.jpeg 21871.jpeg 21873.jpeg
My son.. in the void!

20171119_140729.jpg next was the wife in that tiny compartment.
20171119_140908.jpg
Completed look.20171119_141936.jpg

There are five of us in the famy... 4 went into the compartment at some point today in cluding my claustrophobic wife. Guess whos big ass couldn't fit in the compartmemt! :D

Let's just say 1 of us is glad they don't have to do that again!

Looks great.....I would have had them put long sleeves on though...as that fiberglass can leave some nasty splinters in your skin! Hopefully they didn't get any...if they did....use duct tape to try and pull them out.

Looks great.....I would have had them put long sleeves on though...as that fiberglass can leave some nasty splinters in your skin! Hopefully they didn't get any...if they did....use duct tape to try and pull them out.
Ehhh. They live and learn! Lol

20171203_135014.jpg Finally got the boat back together. Now we just need to wash it and go put it in storage.

Here is a pick of the pump placement.

Side note.. we noticed the sloppyness and 80% of the play in the wheel is gone. I use to be able to shake the nozzels sperately buy hand in opisite directions.. not much but it was noticable. Now they are tight and there is only abou 10 degrees of play in the wheel as before it was half a turn of play. It will be interesting to see how it handles in the spring.

Side note.. we noticed the sloppyness and 80% of the play in the wheel is gone. I use to be able to shake the nozzels sperately buy hand in opisite directions.. not much but it was noticable. Now they are tight and there is only abou 10 degrees of play in the wheel as before it was half a turn of play. It will be interesting to see how it handles in the spring.
I know my time is coming but well done! I keep oiling mine hoping for the best!

Cant remember what year boat u have but if it is near the 08 model its real easy.. as long as u can get your fuel hatch open!

Now that the reverse cable project is officially on my list... A question, please: About how long did it take you? TIA!

Just reverse cables you can do in a few hours. Add a little time and u can get the steering cables done as well and then they are all complete. U will be working in the same areas anyway. All four cables, 6ish hours?.. You have to pull the pumps to do the steering cables. So that adds 30 min or so.

Just reverse cables you can do in a few hours. Add a little time and u can get the steering cables done as well and then they are all complete. U will be working in the same areas anyway. All four cables, 6ish hours?.. You have to pull the pumps to do the steering cables. So that adds 30 min or so.
I never pulled the pumps to do the steering cables. It's not necessary. I did, however, have to move the water boxes out of the way. I actually completely removed the starboard waterbox. This is actually a good exercise as I discovered a broken clamp and two that were ready to break.

Back