• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can jetboat handle rough water in ocean?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I find the inlets to be harder to navigate than the open ocean. In the ocean you can take the waves at an angle to avoid stuffing bow. In inlets at least in Jersey they are narrow and you basically running head on. I think your boat should do pretty well in 2-4 seas. For me personally I don’t see any reason to be in the ocean unless fishing. When have to get to another inlet is only time I need to and only a few miles. No restaurants, coves, tie ups, etc out there. Like others said if ocean “cruising” is your thing you got the wrong boat. Sell it while market is hot and get a nice cruiser.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I spent many years going out in the Gulf of Mexico in a 19 foot boat I built converting it from an inboard outboard to a sea drive with a 140 Johnson on it and a backup kicker.. You must know the depth of the water and have 3 times that length on your anchor rope so you can be safe if a storm comes and you have engine issues. Next is letting people know the area you are going out in and when you plan on returning I only went 20 miles out but you will never know exactly what insignificance means until you are out there all alone and a storm shows up. Also use only 1/3 of your fuel going out so you have twice as much to get you back, in a storm you will use it .

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I just posted this last week in another thread. Here is the post below

i have have had quite a few people on my boat that were also on my 232 and everyone of them comments on how awesome the 27 handles the seas compared to the 23. it does do really well. the bay here is notorious for getting really snotty and i have no issues with cutting across the bay in any weather. might pound a little atimes but not a terrible ride. yes you might get some spray on the windshield when going into the wind but thats about it. now the ocean....i have had the boat off the atlantic city coast quite a few times this season. we run up and down the jersey shore on the outside instead of the icw. the boat handles 2' like no ones business. 3' is not a problem either. at 3' i am running typically 18mph. not killing it but not too slow either. 4'....well, i would rather not be out there in 4' but if i got stuck i could do it and the boat will certainly handle it. all yamaha's have a really low slung bow so you would be getting wet and going slow. i went out an inlet this season and it was prob 5' maybe a little more and the wife was getting really spooked. we were down in one wave and couldnt see over the next with me standing up at the wheel. i had to do a quick turnaround between waves before the next one hit. a little sketchy. keep in mind they arent a nordhavn. yamaha's are an open bow runabouts. they arent really meant to be ocean boats but for what they are, atleast the 27, i think it does really well. i bet the 25' would do well also given the higher freeboard.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in the ocean with 9 ppl on board my ar240 almost every weekend 5 months a year with no problem. Ppl always come to me and tell me that I have a lake boat. It always pisses me off.

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Okay all very helpful. Thank you. We live in palm beach area and there are a few great spots to anchor right off the beach and some mooring balls in front of the breakers resort on top of a reef. I really only want to go out there when it is flat anyway but asking this group for comments because weather changes quickly in that area and 2 can turn into 4 quickly even if you are watching radar. And the relevant inlets are 8 and 12 miles apart. I usually have a bunch of kids on the boat and only want to be out there at all on calm days anyway, but want to make sure if things change (or if I miss a storm cell) that I can get back safely. Inlets can get big depending on direction of tide and wind also so that’s another reason for question.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If I have your boat, I can easily take it out with 5 ft forecast. I have a 19' and my going out forecast is 2 ft wave (that I think is safe) remember 2ft can change so give your self some room if weather gets rough. I was caught in a 5 footer once and its no big deal, I just significantly slowed down and quartered the wave. Remember the most challenging part is getting in and out of the inlet but as long as you keep your bow up, follow the wave in and you should have no issue, your boat is more than capable but experience is your key. Take someone out that knows what they're doing and learn or you can do it on your own, pick a calm forecast, eventually the sea will change on you and that's where you get experience on rough seas.

EDIT: almost forgot, invest in ePirb and radio with gps, its a must have for open water.

Last edited:

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I stick to the bay mostly but venture out into the Atlantic every once in a while with my 252. Did it yesterday but ended turning around and heading back in. Waves were 2-3 ft but the wind was about 15 knots from the northwest. While the boat was doing fine, my wife was not. She is more of a smooth water person...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m in the ocean with 9 ppl on board my ar240 almost every weekend 5 months a year with no problem. Ppl always come to me and tell me that I have a lake boat. It always pisses me off.
There you go so ask yourself if those people capsized their boat making a trip to Bimini and you drove by with a few other alleged lake boats do you think they would change their mind. And quickly get in your boat. Just curious

mspis65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
With the new hull design, aren't the 25" boats now better equipped for higher seas?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They had 2 sitting in the back seats not too smart but it faired well through the chop.
My thoughts as well. 7:43 and 7:51 were pretty big splashes, but otherwise it looked fairly tame overall.