• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can you "Disengage the Shift Function" in your boat?

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While reading the manual, I found a section that states we can disengage the shift function by pushing in the base button on the throttle lever, which I assume allows you to rev the engine speed without forward motion.

See attached snapshot out of manual:

Nuetral Throttle.jpg

The button labeled as "2" does not depress in my 215HO, nor did it depress or work in my previous 215. Seeing as the only manual available is for the 195, is this a 195 feature only?

Would just like to verify with some of you before I send the boat in on Monday for service and warranty work.

Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Most, but not all, Yamahas have that button and many don't realize it is there. While at Shelbyville I was chatting with a member (forget who) and he swore he didn't have it, and sure enough, no button on his model. All the other boats there did have it. I was to say it was a 2009 SX230 or perhaps the first year of the 24'ers.

So it may well be that some Scarabs have it while others do not.

Master

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just checked, I have it on my 195 impulse.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How odd. Anyone with a 215 model chime in?

Grayjrk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
mine doesn't work on my 195 HOI It is also difficult to shift at times. Guess it is time to have it checked.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have that feature on my 2010 242ls.

ptdavidson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Scarab Jet boats are direct drive, there is now way to disengage the drive line from the impeller. My guess is that this is a standard page out of the manufacturers stern-drive manuals and should not be included. The only functioning button is that at the top of the shifter/throttle that you depress with your thumb to "shift" from neutral to froward/reverse. "Neutral" will always have the impeller engaged and spinning.

Grayjrk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The button is not to disengage the drive line but to allow you with the bucket in the neutral position to rev the rpms higher for starting.
Had the feature on my Mirage but the button doesn't work on my scarab.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So this feature is available to be able to rev the engines more without really dropping the buckets down. Interesting. I didn't know I had it but I don't think I ever needed it either.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm really wondering what someone would use this function for. I've owned jet boats for the past 10 years. Not once have I been able to say "I wish I could throttle up without being in drive". Am I missing something?

Grayjrk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I used it when I was having problems starting.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I'm really wondering what someone would use this function for. I've owned jet boats for the past 10 years. Not once have I been able to say "I wish I could throttle up without being in drive". Am I missing something?
This is a somewhat standard "throttle feature" for many years, originally engineered for 2-stroke outboards.
While of limited usefulness for 4-stroke outboards and our types of boats, please remember our boats use many components and engineering present and completed for other types of boats.

Better to have it present and never need it than the other way around. I feel sure that is why it is still present.
Play nicely now in the sandbox.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Scarab Jet boats are direct drive, there is now way to disengage the drive line from the impeller. My guess is that this is a standard page out of the manufacturers stern-drive manuals and should not be included. The only functioning button is that at the top of the shifter/throttle that you depress with your thumb to "shift" from neutral to froward/reverse. "Neutral" will always have the impeller engaged and spinning.
The snapshot I included was out of the Scarab manual, not the Rotax manual. Also a couple folks with a 195 already chimed in saying they have it as well, so maybe it's only featured on the single engine boats, who knows.

I could see it possibly being useful in a troubleshooting situation, as Grayjrk mentioned above. Either way, I'm just trying to understand all the features my boat actually has vs. what the manual tells me, like the water surface temp display that also doesn't exist, :p

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry if I sounded a little abrasive. I was simply curios. Those Rotax motors are very reliable. Other than a couple of sensors and a main relay I had 7 trouble free years out of my 08' SeaDoo 215 hp Rotax.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a great use for it on my boat....it allows me to throttle up without moving the buckets....so I can use my jet pump squirt gun, and would be able to use the same attachment to fill ballast bags. Without this button, I'd have to put it in "drive" which would blow the pickup out of the nozzle.

With my 2 cycle it was useful to rev a rough running engine. I've only had to do that once with my 4 cycle engines...and that was because my spark plugs needed changing....