• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can't find engine compartment drain plugs

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've seen other threads mention 3 drain plugs in the engine compartment. My owners manual says there should be 3. I can only find the plug to the fuel tank compartment and one right next to it on the floor of the engine compartment. Where are the other 2 plugs?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you found the one on the forward wall between the fuel tank compartment and engine compartment, and the drain right beside it on the forward floor of that same divided compartment, then you only have one left. It is generally in center floor of the center divided compartment. You may need to push the white cockpit drain hose to scupper valve, out of the way to see it. It is in the lowest part of the engine compartment liner center section in most, but I haven't checked your particular model exclusively. Just check up and down the center for and aft, you will find it.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpg
This is the bottom of the center engine compartment. I expected it to be somewhere between the two holes in the risers (bulkheads?)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suspect you may be looking for something that is not there. I have the 240 but it only has two drain plugs in the engine compartment. Mine are located where yours are. I suspect if you look and or feel behind the riser platform that you show above you will find a third hole like the two in the picture. This leads to your bilge pump.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey....guess they got rid of that one and drilled the risers! Learn something new every day! Looks like you only have 2! (so much for your manual being accurate!)
I have type-0's all through my manual.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why have one plug if everything else is draining into the bilge? Seems inconsistent.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a quick question about that picture. Are those holes simply drilled? Was there any evidence that an effort was made to seal the exposed material that maybe I can't see?

If not, I might suggest that you use something, RTV at a minimum....put a dab on your fingertip and rub it into the exposed material - taking care to not clog the passage of course.

Just a suggestion....it "could" lead to swelling over time from exposure.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why have one plug if everything else is draining into the bilge? Seems inconsistent.
Those two holes you see and the one do not see on the opposite side of that riser allows water to run through the risers to the bilge pump.The two drain plugs when open allow the fuel tank drain to drain into first riser riser area. Open that plug and it than will run through the second riser AND under that engine cavity. Water gets to the bilge pump via the riser openings AND from under your deck. The 230 series had a cut out that allowed the bilge pump to sit down on the hull. The newer boats, the bilge pump sits on the engine floor with a cut out behind it through the deck wall. This allows water to get to your bilge pump from two different directions. To get a better understanding put water in you ski locker to watch water flow. Then run water through fuel cell plug. Then open second plug in engine compartment. Leave rear boat drain in and use limited amount of water.

Last edited:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love this new system compared to my old sx230. This is a true self bailing design for Yamaha. Less water to stand in the engine compartment causing the chance for less corrosion and dry rot!

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a quick question about that picture. Are those holes simply drilled? Was there any evidence that an effort was made to seal the exposed material that maybe I can't see?

If not, I might suggest that you use something, RTV at a minimum....put a dab on your fingertip and rub it into the exposed material - taking care to not clog the passage of course.

Just a suggestion....it "could" lead to swelling over time from exposure.

"it "could" lead to swelling over time from exposure." - girl at a sand bar told me that once......lmao

Last edited: