• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Capacity Plate

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello!!

I was thinking the other day how many other 24' boats have capacity for 12/2700lbs and above, while prior to 2015 the Yamaha 24' capacity was 11/1980lbs.

What about the 2015 gives it greater capacity, or why can't the 2010-2014 carry 12?

Thanks!!

Great question, I'm sure it has to do with the volume of the hull, the weight of the boat, and the amount of foam in the hull. The coast guard tests the boats and gives the capacity approval....so don't think you can adjust that.

I give you my approval for more ballast, errrrr, capacity. :p

While talking about capacity... Do 30'ish LB kids count as a whole person with regards to the 11 on my plate? Sometimes we will have 6 kids on the boat. You toss in all 3 couples on top and it's over 11. Just curios.

For 2015, the USCG raised the average weight per person. This decreases all boats person capacity and gear capacity. As Americans weigh more they will continue to raise their average weights.

And yes I understand your question reflects the opposite change. My guess is that they changed some bouyancy rating and passed the USCG testing for said capacities.

While talking about capacity... Do 30'ish LB kids count as a whole person with regards to the 11 on my plate? Sometimes we will have 6 kids on the boat. You toss in all 3 couples on top and it's over 11. Just curios.
I checked this last season with our Harbor Master. I was curious as the airlines do not require a child under 2 to occupy a seat. The Harbor Master sited Coast Guard regs and said any soul on board is counted towards the 10 capacity of my boat. So you can go with 10 persons or 1800 lbs whichever you hit first. 11 people is a citable violation.

Yes, each child counts as one person to the letter of the law. If a LEO pulled you over, you could be subject to fines but almost all won't even know you are over capacity as long as you have vests for all and a seat for all people on the boat. With kids you could use their remainder of average weight to put towards cargo weight.

Great question, I'm sure it has to do with the volume of the hull, the weight of the boat, and the amount of foam in the hull. The coast guard tests the boats and gives the capacity approval....so don't think you can adjust that.

I believe it is all of the above plus the number of seating positions in the boat...as determined by the USCG (although I imagine there is some back & forth between USCG and the boat manufacturers on this.)

The 2015s have a higher freeboard. That allows them to handle a greater weight before they sink. My guess is that capacity is some fraction of sinking weight.

The 2015's are also a true 24', while prior years were 23'6". I know that once you hit 26', the boats are then yacht certified(at least for all that I've looked at).

Back