• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chatlee Marine, Boat dealer, Sanford NC

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've only had one interaction with Chatlee and it was a generally positive one. Last summer I took my boat out and it wasn't running right at all. Power was limited, reached 8000 rpm only and it sounded like it was struggling against something. My immediate thought was that the wear rings were rubbing. We were about 2.5 weeks away from a week long boating trip to Lake Murray SC, and I was slammed at work. So I had my wife all Chatlee and see if they could fit her in. She told them we were going on a boating trip in 2 weeks and could they get to it. They said they might be able to, but we'd have to get the boat in the NEXT day.

So she drove the boat down there the next day and checked her in (Monday or Tuesday morning). On Thursday I give them a call to see how things look, and they tell me that it is very unlikely they'll have time to get to it before my vacation......<crap thinks me>

So I research some more and decide that I'll give pulling the pumps apart over the weekend a shot. I drive down and Chatlee has the parts - although they are significantly more expensive than I can get online so I don't buy them. When I tell the service guy I'm going to try it myself, the service manager is called up, and they chatted with me about options. They agree it is too tight to promise me they can fix it, but have one of their techs walk through on a schematic how to pull the pumps and what if the bearings are bad (they said they'd help walk me though that too). Very helpful indeed.

I tow the boat back home and figure its still light out so I might as well give pulling the pump a try. The pump turns out to be a cinch to get off, and once I do...the wear rings are spotless and the impellers look great and everything spins pretty freely with no grinding feel to it.... Huh.....

So back online I go and decide to try a plug change.....which was all it turned out to be (spark plugs!) Phew!

So although Chatlee was too busy to work on my boat, they were very helpful! In their defense it was mid-summer-as in August.

I did walk over to their sales show room to look at the new Yamahas while I was there, and no one was there- which was surprising. Normally at least one sale person would ask if I needed help at a dealer.

http://www.chatleeboats.com

2615 Jefferson Davis Hwy-US 1 S
Sanford, NC 27330
Phone: (919) 775-7259

Service Overall 10
Speed of Work NA
Helpfulness 10
Service Pricing NA
Parts Pricing 2
Quality of work NA
Cleanliness of Work NA
Communication 10
Sales (partial 7)

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not personally used Chatlee; however the original owner of my boat took delivery there eight years ago, so at least they have been in the Yamaha Boat business a while.
Chatlee.PNG

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will chime in with my experience at Chatlee. Bottom line, I will avoid giving them a penny of my money...

I bought my boat in 2007. Visiting their showroom to kick the tires had my wife with me too so we were ready to buy. They wanted cash from me up front before they would even treat me liker a serious customer. I have never been treated like this before... ever. Bought my boat elsewhere in NC within the next few weeks. Bought from East Carolina Powersports in Greenville (sister company is in Goldboro). Great people to work with, but admittedly they are 4 wheeler people first before boat dealer.

Next summer, minor service work needed (that I couldn't do) and didn't want to drive several hours to the dealer I purchased from. Called Chatlee. First question was, did you buy the boat from us. I answered no, so it was "well that will be several weeks before we can even see you" from Chatlee. Not sure why where I bought my boat from has anything to do with me spending my service dollars there but oh well, it was the most important thing to them.

I have been through their doors on other occasions for my old boat needing parts and not really friendly people there.

After the market crash, and boat dealers failing everywhere, I have heard they are nice guys now. Pity that it takes trying to stay in business to treat people decent. Also ashamed they are the largest boat dealer in the area for us too. I will avoid, best I can, to spend my money with them though. Heck I'll drive to Atlanta to buy my next Yammie before I buy it from them.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will chime in with my experience at Chatlee. Bottom line, I will avoid giving them a penny of my money...

I bought my boat in 2007. Visiting their showroom to kick the tires had my wife with me too so we were ready to buy. They wanted cash from me up front before they would even treat me liker a serious customer. I have never been treated like this before... ever. Bought my boat elsewhere in NC within the next few weeks. Bought from East Carolina Powersports in Greenville (sister company is in Goldboro). Great people to work with, but admittedly they are 4 wheeler people first before boat dealer.

Next summer, minor service work needed (that I couldn't do) and didn't want to drive several hours to the dealer I purchased from. Called Chatlee. First question was, did you buy the boat from us. I answered no, so it was "well that will be several weeks before we can even see you" from Chatlee. Not sure why where I bought my boat from has anything to do with me spending my service dollars there but oh well, it was the most important thing to them.

I have been through their doors on other occasions for my old boat needing parts and not really friendly people there.

After the market crash, and boat dealers failing everywhere, I have heard they are nice guys now. Pity that it takes trying to stay in business to treat people decent. Also ashamed they are the largest boat dealer in the area for us too. I will avoid, best I can, to spend my money with them though. Heck I'll drive to Atlanta to buy my next Yammie before I buy it from them.
They have since lost there license and are no longer a Yamaha dealer. Not sure what the story is but several dealer in my area told me they were no longer carrying Yamaha boats but I heard from another source that most of them had Yamaha refuse to renew their license not sure which is true.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought my used boat from chris mays at chatlee in the spring. Chris selling me this boat for a customer freed the customer to buy a new boat from them so that may be some of it but I got a really good deal... and they delivered what they said they would. Chris called when he said he would but when we went to the store he was so busy he had to and us off to their finance guy to show us the boat but chris applogized saying everyone came at once. (I guess that's a good problem to have if u are a salesman.) A few years ago I bought a new ski from powers ports in goldsboro.. they were real friendly and have always been friendly although I am cautious about their winter service pricing. When I had my ski and now the boat I use watercraft concepts mobile service in the raleigh area. He comes to the house and does everything in your driveway.. in the spring thw only thing I have to do is put the batteries back in it... doing it your self is cheaper but nextremely to that I call steve with watercraft concepts.. I have not been back to chatlee although this spring I plan on buying a new aluminum trailer from somewhere... I guess chatlee is where I will start..

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought my used boat from chris mays at chatlee in the spring. Chris selling me this boat for a customer freed the customer to buy a new boat from them so that may be some of it but I got a really good deal... and they delivered what they said they would. Chris called when he said he would but when we went to the store he was so busy he had to and us off to their finance guy to show us the boat but chris applogized saying everyone came at once. (I guess that's a good problem to have if u are a salesman.) A few years ago I bought a new ski from powers ports in goldsboro.. they were real friendly and have always been friendly although I am cautious about their winter service pricing. When I had my ski and now the boat I use watercraft concepts mobile service in the raleigh area. He comes to the house and does everything in your driveway.. in the spring thw only thing I have to do is put the batteries back in it... doing it your self is cheaper but nextremely to that I call steve with watercraft concepts.. I have not been back to chatlee although this spring I plan on buying a new aluminum trailer from somewhere... I guess chatlee is where I will start..
Let me know how your aluminum trailer hunt goes....this might be in my future if I can't convince the boss that we need a new boat!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
interesting about Chatlee. I recall talking with the Yamaha Rep at the Chatlee booth at the Raleigh boat show. He said that Yamaha was really cracking down on dealer performance and the surveys, etc they send out were huge deal for them. Dealers that did not perform well would not be renewed. So maybe what you heard was true in that the licenses are not being renewed.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well if Chatlee doesn't sell Yamahas, then that only leaves 1 Yamaha boat dealer in NC to my knowledge: Performance East in Goldsboro. While they have good reviews from several of members on here, I'm not sure this is good for competition and ultimately us the consumer.

I bought my boat from Twin County Motorsports in Rocky Mount last year as they were less $ than Performance East. But they lost their Yamaha contract this year as well. I contacted them about this and the main consequence for me is they can no longer service boats for warranty repairs (I bought the 5 year YES warranty) but they can do regular service.

The other dealer close to me was East Carolina Powersports in Greenville, NC (same owners as Performance East in Goldsboro) but they no longer sell boats either, so again no warranty repairs, but can do regular service. According to guys there, they lost contract due to size contraints of dealership. Ie they weren't big enough to have complete inventory of model lineup. Performance East in Goldsboro recently moved to an old car dealership with lots of space. I now wonder if they weren't required to make this move to keep their Yamaha contract? Of course there previous location was REALLY small so either way it was a good move for them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well if Chatlee doesn't sell Yamahas, then that only leaves 1 Yamaha boat dealer in NC to my knowledge: Performance East in Goldsboro. While they have good reviews from several of members on here, I'm not sure this is good for competition and ultimately us the consumer.

I bought my boat from Twin County Motorsports in Rocky Mount last year as they were less $ than Performance East. But they lost their Yamaha contract this year as well. I contacted them about this and the main consequence for me is they can no longer service boats for warranty repairs (I bought the 5 year YES warranty) but they can do regular service.

The other dealer close to me was East Carolina Powersports in Greenville, NC (same owners as Performance East in Goldsboro) but they no longer sell boats either, so again no warranty repairs, but can do regular service. According to guys there, they lost contract due to size contraints of dealership. Ie they weren't big enough to have complete inventory of model lineup. Performance East in Goldsboro recently moved to an old car dealership with lots of space. I now wonder if they weren't required to make this move to keep there Yamaha contract? Of course there previous location was REALLY small so either way it was a good move for them.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Huh, I bought my boat from Twin County Motorsports as well back in 2011... wonder why they lost their Yamaha contract... i felt they always had great prices on Yamahas there

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is perfect for my idea of factory owned retail and service shops in areas that lack quality dealers! Are you listening Yamaha?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@jlcj7 When I contacted Twin County Motorsports about it they didn't say why, but again like East Carolina Powersports they don't have a huge dealership lot. So I'm guessing that is part of it. I could be wrong (& often I am), but from what I was told, Yamaha demands you to have X number of boats on the lot and if you don't have the space, no deal. Plus they carry several other boat brands as well as atvs/motorcycles and golf carts. Dealership looks like an episode of "Hoarders". Can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least four different brands of the 4-wheelers in there. But from their tone regarding the loss of the Yamaha boats, they didn't seem too concerned about it (again my inference, not their words). Sad to see them lose their Yamaha boat contract. Their pricing was great. When I bought my boat I just happened to call them last after haggling with several other dealers. They beat other dealers (who had the boats on the lot) by almost a grand, no haggle whatsoever. They didn't have boat in stock, had to drive to a S. Carolina dealer to pick it up and still gave me that deal. After I bought the boat I told them by how much they beat other dealers. Their response was, "We don't have time for the bullcrap, we just want to sell boats."

@Julian I nominate you to drive to Sanford and see if they have any 2016's on the lot. Maybe take your 2005 and your checkbook with you too, just in case. :winkingthumbsup"

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jlcj7 When I contacted Twin County Motorsports about it they didn't say why, but again like East Carolina Powersports they don't have a huge dealership lot. So I'm guessing that is part of it. I could be wrong (& often I am), but from what I was told, Yamaha demands you to have X number of boats on the lot and if you don't have the space, no deal. Plus they carry several other boat brands as well as atvs/motorcycles and golf carts. Dealership looks like an episode of "Hoarders". Can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least four different brands of the 4-wheelers in there. But from their tone regarding the loss of the Yamaha boats, they didn't seem too concerned about it (again my inference, not their words). Sad to see them lose their Yamaha boat contract. Their pricing was great. When I bought my boat I just happened to call them last after haggling with several other dealers. They beat other dealers (who had the boats on the lot) by almost a grand, no haggle whatsoever. They didn't have boat in stock, had to drive to a S. Carolina dealer to pick it up and still gave me that deal. After I bought the boat I told them by how much they beat other dealers. Their response was, "We don't have time for the bullcrap, we just want to sell boats."

@Julian I nominate you to drive to Sanford and see if they have any 2016's on the lot. Maybe take your 2005 and your checkbook with you too, just in case. :winkingthumbsup"
@Julian doesn't need his cheekboom... he can pay out of his front pocket...

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I checked Chatlee out this past summer (June 2015) and they were definitely still a Yamaha dealer at that time. Only two 24ft boats in stock and both 240sx. Seemed like a very nice/knowledgable dealer, but then again they were trying to sell me a boat :)

I was really looking for a 240ar used, so I kept looking and ended up buying one on consignment at Hall Marine (Halls Lake Norman dealership). They are a Yahama dealer and had probably 8-10 yamahas this past summer on the lot, just no new 240ar's. I also just checked their website and they now have 2016's listed as available. They've been great to deal with, but admittly like all dealers they have dealer pricing on parts. I spent the first months on LKN so they were a great resource for a couple "need immediately" parts since their shop was on the way to the boat ramp ;)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Chatlee is definitely still a Yamaha Dealer...and according to the Yamaha Rep I talked with...one of the biggest in the SE. They had 3 2016 Yamahas at the Raleigh Boat show...

2 of the 3 was sold by the time I left, and they'd sold a 242X sight unseen the day before....
20150206150420_IMG_4670.JPG

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
c
Chatlee is definitely still a Yamaha Dealer...and according to the Yamaha Rep I talked with...one of the biggest in the SE. They had 3 2016 Yamahas at the Raleigh Boat show...

2 of the 3 was sold by the time I left, and they'd sold a 242X sight unseen the day before....
View attachment 33105
Hmmm I wonder what changed when I was there back in October or November they told me they were no longer selling Yamaha boats? I will have to go back and check now and make sure its Chatlee and I'm not getting confused.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went down to Chatlee a month or so ago to crawl all over their boats in the showroom. They were very helpful and attentive and I will be getting my new boat from them! Hoping it arrives this week or next!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went down to Chatlee a month or so ago to crawl all over their boats in the showroom. They were very helpful and attentive and I will be getting my new boat from them! Hoping it arrives this week or next!
Chris mayes at chatlee is who we bought ours from..