• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Chime-in ... Tow Vehicle for Bimini trip

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What a tangled web I am weaving. Moving from Houston to Calgary, AB, Canada at the end of May. Selling all vehicles before moving. Have to purchase a vehicle in Calgary in order to tow the boat to Ft. Lauderdale and back for the Bimini trip.
The route that I'll be taking will be over 6500 miles round trip. It seems like a bad way to break in a new vehicle, and I'm not sure that I want to put 6500 miles (over 10500 km) on a new vehicle in the first month and a half of ownership.
I've made two round trip tows from Houston to Ft. Lauderdale with my 2012 Durango R/T and it did a great job. Zero complaints.
I've never owned a pick-up (doesn't meet my family needs), just SUVs and sports cars. I've never owned a diesel.
Three scenarios that I'm considering:
1. Buy a used diesel pick-up just for the trip, and trade it in on a new SUV after the trip.
2. Buy a used gas-powered SUV, use it for the trip, and trade it sooner than later (not urgent) on a new SUV after the trip.
3. Buy a new SUV, live life in the present like a dog, and don't worry about it.

With respect to option 1, I took a quick look at used diesel's on the Canadian Auto Trader and this one hit my radar because of the price and low mileage, but I think/know that Mrs. Moose would kill me, and the kids would rather walk to school than be seen in it, and I'd be towing to Ft. Lauderdale all alone... but I wouldn't have to pay for hotels, and I might be a little "ripe" once I get to Bimini.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/RA..._20120307095503537/?ursrc=ppl&showcpo=ShowCPO

The autotrader truck would be perfect for the long haul, no need for a hotel room just sleep at rest stops, that would be a big hit with the family. ;)

Option 4, why not keep your current Durango until after the Bimini trip then trade for something better suited for the Calgary winters.

Have you looked into flying into Bimini and renting a boat for the week? I know ZERO about Bimini, but that is a hell of a long tow and is not going to be cheap (fuel, hotels, wear & tear (on ass, sanity, truck, trailer), border issues, etc.

As far as the truck it would do the job well but good luck selling it when you get back. Takes a special buyer to want that rig.

What a tangled web I am weaving. Moving from Houston to Calgary, AB, Canada at the end of May. Selling all vehicles before moving. Have to purchase a vehicle in Calgary in order to tow the boat to Ft. Lauderdale and back for the Bimini trip.
The route that I'll be taking will be over 6500 miles round trip. It seems like a bad way to break in a new vehicle, and I'm not sure that I want to put 6500 miles (over 10500 km) on a new vehicle in the first month and a half of ownership.
I've made two round trip tows from Houston to Ft. Lauderdale with my 2012 Durango R/T and it did a great job. Zero complaints.
I've never owned a pick-up (doesn't meet my family needs), just SUVs and sports cars. I've never owned a diesel.
Three scenarios that I'm considering:
1. Buy a used diesel pick-up just for the trip, and trade it in on a new SUV after the trip.
2. Buy a used gas-powered SUV, use it for the trip, and trade it sooner than later (not urgent) on a new SUV after the trip.
3. Buy a new SUV, live life in the present like a dog, and don't worry about it.

With respect to option 1, I took a quick look at used diesel's on the Canadian Auto Trader and this one hit my radar because of the price and low mileage, but I think/know that Mrs. Moose would kill me, and the kids would rather walk to school than be seen in it, and I'd be towing to Ft. Lauderdale all alone... but I wouldn't have to pay for hotels, and I might be a little "ripe" once I get to Bimini.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/RA..._20120307095503537/?ursrc=ppl&showcpo=ShowCPO
There is only one correct solution to this, in my book. :D

Try to find a used Q7 TDI, ideally with the factory tow package installed and working.
Not many available, unfortunately, not many people selling, and some on the market are salvaged - so one must be careful. But, VW diesel gate assured those are not in very high demand, and prices in US are ridiculous as compared to the rest of the world. Especially if you can import one tax free into Canada, you would be golden as clean diesels are high premium there. And there is no better traction control known to man, for those slick Calgary roads.
My 0.02.

--

The autotrader truck would be perfect for the long haul, no need for a hotel room just sleep at rest stops, that would be a big hit with the family. ;)

Option 4, why not keep your current Durango until after the Bimini trip then trade for something better suited for the Calgary winters.
I'd have to pay import fees plus a 5% tax to get the Durango into Canada, then nobody would want it because it's 2WD.

There is only one correct solution to this, in my book. :D

Try to find a used Q7 TDI, ideally with the factory tow package installed and working.
Not many available, unfortunately, not many people selling, and some on the market are salvaged - so one must be careful. But, VW diesel gate assured those are not in very high demand, and prices in US are ridiculous as compared to the rest of the world. Especially if you can import one tax free into Canada, you would be golden as clean diesels are high premium there. And there is no better traction control known to man, for those slick Calgary roads.
My 0.02.

--
Unfortunately, I've heard too many stories (first hand) about the higher than expected cost of ownership of Audi vehicles because of things, like brake systems that prematurely corrode and need replacing at 12000 miles. My neighbor had a nice A5 and he couldn't wait to get rid of it because it kept breaking down and leaving him stranded. Not to brag but although I do not drive my vehicles hard, I am still impressed that I'm still on my original brakes at 73000 miles on my Durango.

Could you pull the boat to Ft. Lauderdale at end of May with Durango, put boat in storage. Then take durango to CarMax sell it to them. Fly to Calgary. Then fly to Ft. Lauderdale for trip, get someone to put boat in water, go to Bimini. Then when you get back to Ft. Lauderdale you can rent a truck to haul boat back to Calgary. Problem Solved!

That is the most flawless plan I have ever devised. o_O

Unfortunately, I've heard too many stories (first hand) about the higher than expected cost of ownership of Audi vehicles because of things, like brake systems that prematurely corrode and need replacing at 12000 miles. My neighbor had a nice A5 and he couldn't wait to get rid of it because it kept breaking down and leaving him stranded. Not to brag but although I do not drive my vehicles hard, I am still impressed that I'm still on my original brakes at 73000 miles on my Durango.

I am surprised by your friends Audi experience. Rana had a pretty loaded Wolfsberg Jetta 1.8T (A4 equivelant) for ten years and 140,000 miles. I believe we replaced the oversized brake pads once. The only issue it had before 140,000 was a recall involving the coil on plug setup. A little after 140,000 it developed a solenoid issue in the transmission. I had tried to get her to upgrade several times but she loved that car. I used the transmission issue to get her into a new R-Line CC 2.0T then had the transmission repaired for less than $400. I saw the Jettas new owner about a year later. She was using it for a 250 mile weekly commute to Dallas and was very happy with the car.

I respect the abilities of the Tuareg / Q7 / Cayenne product but I just can not see beyond their small size. I know they have the strength, engineering and weight but I feel better towing the boat with a vehicle closer to the boats size.

Have you considered having the 4wd components installed in your Durango?

I am surprised by your friends Audi experience. Rana had a pretty loaded Wolfsberg Jetta 1.8T (A4 equivelant) for ten years and 140,000 miles. I believe we replaced the oversized brake pads once. The only issue it had before 140,000 was a recall involving the coil on plug setup. A little after 140,000 it developed a solenoid issue in the transmission. I had tried to get her to upgrade several times but she loved that car. I used the transmission issue to get her into a new R-Line CC 2.0T then had the transmission repaired for less than $400. I saw the Jettas new owner about a year later. She was using it for a 250 mile weekly commute to Dallas and was very happy with the car.

I respect the abilities of the Tuareg / Q7 / Cayenne product but I just can not see beyond their small size. I know they have the strength, engineering and weight but I feel better towing the boat with a vehicle closer to the boats size.

Have you considered having the 4wd components installed in your Durango?
Never occurred to me to install 4wd on my 2wd vehicle. Tough to put money into it right now since it already has 73K miles on it.

If it was me at this time this would be my plan. Find a 2010-12 Audi Q7 TDI go ahead and do it now! These cars are going to be bought back from VW we are probably several month out from this but register it here in the states and even if the buy back occurs after you move to Canada bring the car up there but leave it registered in the states when the buy back time comes around go ahead and return it in Montana. As long as you buy the truck correctly you should actually make some money on this deal and take your wind fall and buy a new car in Canada at that point. Just my thoughts. I would avoid the 3.0l Dodge and Jeep vehicles as it appears another version of Dieselgate may be about to break but unsure what will be involved in it.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/12/epa-...-diesel-emissions-in-about-100k-vehicles.html

Never occurred to me to install 4wd on my 2wd vehicle. Tough to put money into it right now since it already has 73K miles on it.

It might be worth calling a transmission shop and asking how much it would be. I suspect that the used parts would not be a lot. Labor on the other hand may be.

I believe you can upgrade to AWD. I had an AWD Dakota and loved it. The driveline components were shared with the Cherokee and Durango.

It all comes down to how long you would want to keep the Durango. When I bought my 2007 Sierra Denali I thought I would sell it around 100K miles. Then I got excited about the Ram Ecodiesel and decided to keep the Denali until I could get an Ecodiesel whose cargo and tow capacity failed to meet my needs. Now I am at 170K on the Denali, everything still works and I am not seeing anything else that excites me to spend $60k+ to upgrade to a comparable recent truck or SUV. So I am going to invest a little more in the old Denali and plan to keep her to 200,000 or perhaps 250,000 miles.

It might be worth calling a transmission shop and asking how much it would be. I suspect that the used parts would not be a lot. Labor on the other hand may be.

I believe you can upgrade to AWD. I had an AWD Dakota and loved it. The driveline components were shared with the Cherokee and Durango.
I know it's not most peoples opinion but my Dakota with 4.7 v8 and some mercedes transmission basically couldn't handle the stress of towing my boat. Should have no problem with the horsepower but the transmission fried even with a trans cooler added on after i started towing the bigger boat. Won't buy another dodge until i really research the transmission and/or go straight to a cummins 2500.

I know it's not most peoples opinion but my Dakota with 4.7 v8 and some mercedes transmission basically couldn't handle the stress of towing my boat. Should have no problem with the horsepower but the transmission fried even with a trans cooler added on after i started towing the bigger boat. Won't buy another dodge until i really research the transmission and/or go straight to a cummins 2500.

Interesting. What year model Dakota did you have? I had a 2005 with AWD and the transmission cooler. I sold her long before buying the boat but never had a problem towing the 4,000 pound Kubota on a 3,500 pound trailer. I also towed a large enclosed trailer 500 miles one day.

Interesting. What year model Dakota did you have? I had a 2005 with AWD and the transmission cooler. I sold her long before buying the boat but never had a problem towing the 4,000 pound Kubota on a 3,500 pound trailer. I also towed a large enclosed trailer 500 miles one day.
2005 quad cab 4x4 slt with brake controller and upgraded trans cooler.
Was a good truck for 3 years. Held family and pulled the boat.
Mercedes trans out of an suv if i recall.
Edit-it wouldn't even get to highway speeds.

2005 quad cab 4x4 slt with brake controller and upgraded trans cooler.
Was a good truck for 3 years. Held family and pulled the boat.
Mercedes trans out of an suv if i recall.
Edit-it wouldn't even get to highway speeds.

I wonder if we had completely different transmissions? Mine had the AWD transmission out of the Grand Cherokee. I had forgotten but it's breakin was towing a race car, three guys and two weeks of stuff to Florida and back when I loaned it to my brother and his friends. That resulted in warped rotors at 9,000 miles but no transmission issues. Towing the tractor or an enclosed trailer it would get around 9 MPG.

I like the idea of tow the boat to Lauderdale, sell the Durango there, then rent a truck and tow it back to Calgary after the trip. Towing 6500 miles round trip would likely be a stressful thing, and then there's the fact that you'll have to basically get the boat across the border 3x...that's not hard to do, but can still be additional hassle.

As for the idea of buying an older Q7 diesel, I'd bet they are hard to find now...as those who have them will likely keep them for the sell-back value to VW.

I tow my boat with my Cayenne and average about 20mpg and it tows it all day long.

Not worried so much about the tow vehicle. Once underway stopping and pulling off are the rough times.
With a trip that far, its the trailer that i would worry about.

I wonder if we had completely different transmissions? Mine had the AWD transmission out of the Grand Cherokee. I had forgotten but it's breakin was towing a race car, three guys and two weeks of stuff to Florida and back when I loaned it to my brother and his friends. That resulted in warped rotors at 9,000 miles but no transmission issues. Towing the tractor or an enclosed trailer it would get around 9 MPG.
I also keep a spark plug that welded itself shut pulling the EXCITER back from Maryland.

Back on topic....
Use that durango for the long haul and THEN ditch it after the trip. The 5% tax can't be that terrible much for a used vehicle can it? I would prefer to use and abuse the used and abused.

Back