• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Chime-in ... Tow Vehicle for Bimini trip

@MrMoose - You just had to go and create another tow vehicle thread didn't ya? LOL. We love my wife's AWD Durango R/T and as you know one of those will get the job done if you want to stay with a SUV that is good in the winter and can tow. Not sure I would want to rack up those kind of miles and also not sure I would want to use the Durango for that kind of load on that long of a trip. Brakes on the R/T are the same as on the 1/2 ton Ram so sway would be my primary concern there. With just you and some patience I bet you would be fine though. Anyone who has read my posts know that I play it safe when it comes to towing. Beyond that you are looking at the big boy SUVs like Yukons, Suburbans and such. I also saw that Jeep is bringing back the Wagoneer line in the form of a full size luxury SUV with a bit of jeep attitude. Think Range Rover with some real some real space inside.

Any idea if you will have a driveway to plow once in Canada? If so you may consider getting a used 3/4 ton diesel truck to use for just boat hauling and plowing. Don't believe anyone that a 1/2 ton truck makes a decent plow truck. Sure you can get by with that if that is what you have for a different reason but 3/4 ton or bigger 4x4 diesel is the way to go. Luckily my neighbor plows me out I shovel his steps and porch. If you go diesel don't forget the block heater you will need where you are headed.

Must say I love that 3500 rig you linked to. That might be considered a limo around some parts where you are headed. I think it is a great option as a long distance tow vehicle with the sleeper cab and of course a plow on the front would be pretty sweet too. Just park it in the truck parking at rest stops and gas stations and enjoy free showers.

Good luck.

I just read about what is likely to be another diesel gate but this time for Fiat Chrysler. Quick buy a 2016 Ram 1500 with a 3.0 diesel and play the long game that the EPA will force them to compensate you. Of course I jest as it is a risk and we don't know enough yet. I do have a solution for all of the Diesel Gate issues though ... Someone just needs to figure a cost effective way to convert all of the toxic NOx (nitrogen oxides) to purified N2O (nitrous oxide) and then everyone will be fast and happy.

Someone just needs to figure a cost effective way to convert all of the toxic NOx (nitrogen oxides) to purified N2O (nitrous oxide) and then everyone will be fast and happy.
It is no laughing matter, indeed (with no N2O), LOL. :D

--

I wonder what it would cost to have your boat transported to FL and back?

I do agree with a rental. I wouldn't even tow the boat to Calgary though. Rent a truck or van and tow the boat to Florida and leave it at a storage facility in May. Then fly back in to Florida or drive down and pick it up there. I just can't imagine towing to Calgary from Texas then back to Florida all in a month and a half just drop it in Florida on a weekend before you leave.

Ok, I am still crushed to learn that the one person I have *actually met* in this group here is now moving away! AAAARRRRGGHH!

Damn.

Now, then, on to the topic: my wife has a 2013 TDI Q7, which is our normal tow vehicle. Or was until some lady making a 'Texas right' hit us just before Christmas. Now they may total it. But, before that, we were actually quite happy with it. I put a set of pads on it. Replacing the battery was not fun (they put it under the driver's seat, and you need an Audi battery serial number to put into the computer for the computer to recognize the new one--what a crock). But other than that, she loves the way it rides and I love the way it tows.

So, now that it has a chunk out of the driver's side rear fender, perhaps I can make you a deal on it...

I would research and call for quotes to have the boat moved towed even to the boarder as that might be a higher fee and meet them there and tow from the boarder home. I would rent for a few months in Ft. L as it won't be much a few hundred and go from there. I know there are hauling people on THT that you can get a quote from. Or put a wanted ad on here for someone willing to tow it to the boarder for you for a fee.

I would get a 3\4 ton diesel 4x4 and live with it. That's what you're gonna need in the frozen tundra anyway. I must warn you though, once you tow with a diesel you'll never want to tow anything big with a gasser again.

Buy what you want foe yp thwrw and Rent a truck it would be cheaper than the depreciation. 12000 miles of depreciation. would cover the cost of the rental. Heck you could rent a camper to pull it and stay on the way at different lakes.
6500 miles total. Any rental with a tow package that I've found charges by the mile. Killer.
I would get a 3\4 ton diesel 4x4 and live with it. That's what you're gonna need in the frozen tundra anyway. I must warn you though, once you tow with a diesel you'll never want to tow anything big with a gasser again.
Not sure about cost of ownership if I lived with a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4, relative to a 4x4 Durango with a hemi. Wouldn't be towing regularly, probably less than 2K miles per year.

@MrMoose I do live with one and its not much more then a 1\2 ton gas pickup that I can compare it to. That's what I had previously. You just have way more power and stability and they are built to work. If you are planning to have a snow plow in Canada you'll most likely want the 3\4 ton like a previous poster said.

Me personally I wouldn't want to tow as far as you are in the amount of time you're planning with anything. I would seriously look into storing the boat in Florida before your move with the Durango and haul it to Canada after Bimini.

Well I started this post off just asking about tow vehicles, but the discussion is growing in scope and I'd like to keep it focused on the vehicle side of things. I've put lots of thought into how I'm going to go about dealing with the boat for this move, and I'm using a trip to Bimini to help justify my plan with Mrs. Moose. I've considered lots of things including towing the boat from Houston to FLA and storing it there, and even leaving my Durango there with it. Long story short, Mrs. Moose's company will cover certain expenses related to our move (nothing to do with the boat though) as long as they fit within the company's policies (edit: rant deleted).
So, the boat stays in Houston. I sell the Durango. I move to Canada at the end of May. I buy a vehicle (or maybe I find a place that rents tow vehicles that doesn't charge for mileage... unlikely) in June, and I hit the road in July. Get the boat in Houston, tow it to Ft. Lauderdale, go to Bimini, tow back to Calgary. I've considered keeping the Durango for all of the towing and getting rid of it after, but I've looked into things and I'd pretty much have to drive it back to Houston in order to find a place that would buy it. Any place that gets snow won't want a 2wd SUV, straight up, I called lots of places along the tow route to see how far I'd have to back track after delivering the boat to Calgary.
I won't be needing a 4wd with a snow plow. Calgary doesn't get that much snow. I lived there in 2001 and I drove my convertible Mustang GT year-round (with a baby seat in the back). Just had to put snow tires on the rear. If I buy a place in the city, a snow shovel will do. If I buy an acreage, a small Kubota with a blade or blower will do. I've been there already; had a Kubota B3030 with a 72inch blower on the front... (manly grunt noise).
@PEARCE , nobody in their right mind would want to tow the distance that I'm considering, but Bimini beckons, and somebody has to challenge @Majorsmackdown 's record.

Even if I break the distance record, I think that we need to create a new category called "Towing under duress" for what @Majorsmackdown went through last year. When the Bimini crossing date was pulled forward due to weather, he drove almost non-stop to make it to Ft. Lauderdale in time. (manly grunt noise)

Given the additional detail I would buy a used 3/4 ton Diesel in Canada for cash. Nothing fancy but something that will make the trip. Use it for the trip then flip it when you get back home. Wait till winter if needed to get more money for it. Of course buy another 7k plus capable awd or 4wd SUV as a daily driver and local boat hauler.

Even if you lose 1k on the flip I think you still save a bunch for what you are looking to do.

I was considering buying an enclosed trailer for my upcoming move and then flipping it. Then I discovered that Penske costs much less than Uhaul so I ditched that idea but at the time it was going to save me enough money to make it worth tying up the liquid capital for a short period of time.

see my signature... best all around towing or not towing vehicle so far.

As @blacksapphirez said, and I agree, I've never owned (or missed) a better truck than my ecodiesel. Isn't anything else around that gets near the mpg's, and I swear my dam cummins doesn't feel *that* much stronger. If I didn't need the extra towing capacity, I'd be back in an ED in a heartbeat (although, I'd definitely get at least the Laramie package next time. Likely, the Limited).

@Julian, how many miles did you get out of your Q7 brakes before having to replace them due to wear?

As @blacksapphirez said, and I agree, I've never owned (or missed) a better truck than my ecodiesel. Isn't anything else around that gets near the mpg's, and I swear my dam cummins doesn't feel *that* much stronger. If I didn't need the extra towing capacity, I'd be back in an ED in a heartbeat (although, I'd definitely get at least the Laramie package next time. Likely, the Limited).
I just dunno if I can make the switch to a pick-up. I get much more functionality out of a SUV for everyday life.

I'm in my second Touareg TDI brakes have made to around the 40k mark on both

Back