• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout Repair kits

Hoky7576

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My clean outs are so hard to get back into place. I was told I need a repair kit. Any and all suggestions are welcome please!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha cleanout rebuild kit. They are like $40-$50 each. Buy them on amazon, ebay or Jetboatpilot.com

Do not buy new plugs, they can be rebuilt. And in the meantime, pull them and spray with silicone spray of your choice. It will help until you get them rebuilt.

Good luck,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wanted to follow up on this thread, as I mentioned the Cleanout rebuild kits.

Last night I pulled my cleanouts for their weekly lube and they were difficult to get back in. I have had rebuild kits sitting on the shelf since the first day they gave me a bit of issue. I figured I would run them for as long a possible before the rebuild.

So I get them on the bench and see there are no instructions of any sort, as they are truly not needed. There are 8 Phillips head screws to remove, and it comes apart easily. It is very obvious what components you are replacing and where they go.

PRO TIP #1: Feel free to use your powered screwdriver to remove the screws and start them back in. DO NOT use it to torque those screws down. Put the final tightening to them by hand. The plastic in the new plug parts is thin threaded and will strip very easily. And if you overtighten the screws, the mechanism that locks the dogs out will not set. It needs to slide freely to get the locking pin in place. I would guess some silicone lube inside the mechanism while you have it open would be advised.

It's very obvious why these have the ability to blow out, and why an aftermarket product like the Cobra EZ-Locks make sense. It takes very little force to keep them in the locked position.

If you over tighten the screws, the locking pin will not slide into place. If you over loosen, there is greater chance of blowout. I literally took apart and assembled one plug last night like four times trying to figure out why they would not lock. I was over tightening the screws. You can run the mechanism as you tighten down the screws to test as you go. Just be careful not to lose the components inside like the spring or locking pin.

Good luck!

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to follow up on this thread, as I mentioned the Cleanout rebuild kits.

Last night I pulled my cleanouts for their weekly lube and they were difficult to get back in. I have had rebuild kits sitting on the shelf since the first day they gave me a bit of issue. I figured I would run them for as long a possible before the rebuild.

So I get them on the bench and see there are no instructions of any sort, as they are truly not needed. There are 8 Phillips head screws to remove, and it comes apart easily. It is very obvious what components you are replacing and where they go.

PRO TIP #1: Feel free to use your powered screwdriver to remove the screws and start them back in. DO NOT use it to torque those screws down. Put the final tightening to them by hand. The plastic in the new plug parts is thin threaded and will strip very easily. And if you overtighten the screws, the mechanism that locks the dogs out will not set. It needs to slide freely to get the locking pin in place. I would guess some silicone lube inside the mechanism while you have it open would be advised.

It's very obvious why these have the ability to blow out, and why an aftermarket product like the Cobra EZ-Locks make sense. It takes very little force to keep them in the locked position.

If you over tighten the screws, the locking pin will not slide into place. If you over loosen, there is greater chance of blowout. I literally took apart and assembled one plug last night like four times trying to figure out why they would not lock. I was over tightening the screws. You can run the mechanism as you tighten down the screws to test as you go. Just be careful not to lose the components inside like the spring or locking pin.

Good luck!
DEFINITELY AGREE WITH THESE SUGGESTIONS! I wish I had read them before rebuilding my plugs recently as I had a much harder time than most. I caught myself attempting to install the o-ring (rubber portion) upside down once and did, in fact, over-torque the screws as mentioned above. In my case this caused the rubber to flare out with the result that the plugs were HARDER to get in than they were before the rebuild. As usual, a thread and help from members here got me sorted out, finally.

If the rubber o-ring is larger in diameter than the plastic ABOVE it, you've got problems. the plug should either be rebuilt or reassembled correctly.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My clean outs are so hard to get back into place. I was told I need a repair kit. Any and all suggestions are welcome please!
@Hoky7576 ......have you kept them lubricated since purchase? Do you remove them when the boat is not in use? First one is a must the second one is a Yamaha recommendation. So far I'm leaving them in and lubricating them weekly which seems to be (knock on wood) working.