• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering Review - 1000% Improvement!!!

Daxxer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
I'd first like to say hello to everyone here at JetBoaters.net! I run a Harley forum with thousands of members so if any members here also have Harleys, I invite you to stop by and join the www.HDRidersUSA.com forum.

Anyway, let's talk about the Sea Doo jet boats and their steering issues! I recently bought (Nov 2014) a 2002 22' Sea Doo Islandia deck boat that seemed to be the perfect starter boat for this boating newbie. Here in SWFL we have some seriously shallow water. Almost immediately after purchase, I discovered the monster issue with jet boats ... low speed steering. Horrible, freaky, dangerous, and more. In Cape Coral, FL, we have about 400 miles of canals, most averaging 80ft width. With docks and lifts on each side there isn't much room to maneuver, especially with traffic. And the worst of it is no wake idle speed throughout. The boat was basically drifting with EXTREMELY limited control. It required constant throttle hits to not cause any damage to property on what felt like a long narrow bowling alley ... where I was the ball. Doing this BTW is neither idling or "no wake". And docking is, in a word, frightening. Other great descriptor words are discouraged and depressed ...

Then I learned about ThrustVectors through a local watersports dealer and suddenly there was hope!! I called and talked to Will @JetBoatPilot in December 2014. I then learned the awful news ... Their product did not work on Seadoo jet boats older than 2007. I was discouraged but Will offered to work up a version for my boat if I would send him my nozzle. After closing on my house in Jan 2015 I climbed into the canal, stood on a ladder in 10 feet of water with a strong current (right by the river), and removed the nozzle from my boat on its lift. I sent it off to Will with a big smile on my face! Week or two later I get a call that they couldn't do anything with the nozzle and needed the boat (500 miles away) to make the product. I was about to find a trailer and get it up there when he told me it would be at least a month they'd need to keep the boat and they couldn't get to it until October, 10 months away. Talk about a letdown.

After receiving the nozzle back (exactly same as when I'd sent it) I took the boat for a spin to see if maybe I was overreacting to the steering situation. It wasn't a pleasant experience and I vowed to just sell the beast and be done with it.

Then ...

I found Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC ! I wrote a plea for help and advice. He called and said his product could easily help. While installation actually looked quite simple, I was just "over it" and he stepped in and offered to install the Cobra Jet Steering product if I'd send him the nozzle. After some Deja Vu, I did the canal nozzle removal dance and shipped it off. A week later I had it back with the Cobra Jet Steering firmly attached. I excitedly dragged my ladder into the canal and reinstalled the nozzle, grabbed a couple friends who'd previously tried steering the boat in the canal, and took off idling down towards the river. OMG! Night and day. A tiny bit of drifting but oh so controllable! Wow, wow, wow! Did some low speed donuts in the canal and headed off to a waterfront restaurant watering hole nearby. I was worried the steering system didn't lift up at speed like Will's. Nope, not an issue. No drag at speed from the fins, boat topped out at 44 mph just like before. Not heavy steering. Turned on a dime. Awesome!

Then I docked like a pro at the restaurant and it was that moment I realized that the boat literally had a new life now! And so did I. Sell the Islandia? Are you kidding? It's been about 2 weeks since I have been using the boat daily and love the transformed steering. It's simply fun to use the boat now. Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC really knows his stuff, gives great customer service, and has an awesome product that WORKS!

If you have a Sea Doo Boat, ski, or Yamaha setup you MUST GET THIS. Turn that frown upside down for real!!

Hopefully I'll be able to attach some pix below:

-- Dax

fins 1.jpg lift1.jpg nozzle 003.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

Does your boat have a kiddie pool in the bow? I believe it was the Islandia that had that option.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome aboard and nice write-up. Jeff's gone the distance for me in the past as well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an another set of fins from him the next time I'm ready for an upgrade.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you on the forum, your contribution in the SeaDoo section would be a benefit to many! Be sure you add your location to your profile so others know your with us! That is super news that your able to get control! Jeff has always been a problem solver and this is a perfect example of how he can do just that! Congrats on the updated steering and once again, welcome aboard!

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard @Daxxer! I'm glad Jeff was able to hook you up and make you love your boat again. Even though I'm running the TV's. I know based on many members experiences, that @Cobra Jet Steering LLC makes a very high quality product that does exactly what he promises.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, we don't see to many islandia boats,

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome and I also have a Harley. I use the CVO forum and will go check yours out as well.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Daxxer and congrats on the new boat. I also have Jeffs fins on my Yamaha and have been happy with them for some time. I'm glad that you found us and posted up your experiences. IT will more than likely help other guys who find themselves in your situation.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard! Glad Jeff stepped up for you. I also have Cobra's. Just waiting to see what @Bruce says about upgrading his fins before I upgrade too.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard! Glad Jeff stepped up for you. I also have Cobra's. Just waiting to see what @Bruce says about upgrading his fins before I upgrade too.

I have used fins from both manufacturers. On the LX210 the older smaller fin designs worked perfectly well. The newer boats benefit more from the current larger fin designs. I believe that you would benefit from upgrading.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Daxxer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

Does your boat have a kiddie pool in the bow? I believe it was the Islandia that had that option.
Ha! Yes it does but I haven't tried it yet. I need to get it fired up and take a relaxing dip right inside the boat! Will be perfect when my toddler grandson visits for sure!

Daxxer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
Welcome and I also have a Harley. I use the CVO forum and will go check yours out as well.
Cool, check it out. I also have a CVO ... Just rode it from SoCal to Cape Coral when I moved here mid February. Switched off riding and driving the Penske truck pulling my car. Made great time with myself and two buddies. First thing upon arrival was to jump in the boat and head to river and gulf. Steering sucked but now it's fixed and life is good!

Daxxer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! Where do you live in the Cape?
28th St just south of mid point bridge. I'm about 800 ft from the river on a 200 ft canal which is what saved my hide from banging into things pre Cobra Jet fins! When I bought the boat in the Cape and drove it back to my lift I truly thought I was going to do some damage on the way back idling through 80 footers. Many VERY near misses. These Cobra fins are like magic!

Daxxer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I'll get an avatar pix up soon. If you live in or near Cape Coral, lets get together ... just let me know!

The Wanderer2

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
28th St just south of mid point bridge. I'm about 800 ft from the river on a 200 ft canal which is what saved my hide from banging into things pre Cobra Jet fins! When I bought the boat in the Cape and drove it back to my lift I truly thought I was going to do some damage on the way back idling through 80 footers. Many VERY near misses. These Cobra fins are like magic!
Cool, I live in a codo off Four Mile Cove PWKY behind the bowling alley and Publics. Before I bought the Yamaha boat, I had a SeeDoo Utopia. I know exactly what you're talking about. I had some really close calls in the beginning.

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice write up! Welcome aboard. Jeff also posts the best videos of general interest ;) to the forum.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome! Glad Jeff was able to help you out. We've got some pretty sharp folks around here. If you've got a problem that can be solved, a way will be found to solve it!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You meant to say me? I'm headed out tomorrow morning with my new Ultimates!