• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet vs. Thrust Vector

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All,

Just reading up on either product. I'm curious about everyone's experience with each. If you have a preference, and where you can get the best deal on either one. I've seen prices in the $200 range for each new. Curious if one is clearly better, or if it's a six in one hand half dozen in the other kind of thing.

Greatly appreciate the feedback in advance!

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe that they are equally on par with each other. One is plastic, one is aluminum, each with benefits and downsides based on the material used. One thing that has put me in favor of Cobra is the fact that if you want steering fins AND a Wake Wedge, the Cobra AK series is the only solution that will not bind your steering at speed.... at least with the new Yamaha jet boats.

With that being said, I will be selling my Thrust Vectors so that I can run my Wake Wedge without crashing into something.

Hit me up if interested in my TV's

Last edited:

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can only speak from experience but Jeff at Cobra Jet was awesome to deal with and the product makes a night and day difference imo at both low and high speeds. I added the fangs as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seadek from Jetboatpilot, fins from Cobra.

--

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had Thrust Vectors on my AR190, I got to try a set of Cobras with Fangs setup and switched. I have them deployed fulltime. It helps my wife to be able to drive the boat more confidently and keeps a straight line easier. Im in a deep lake, so i'm not really concerned with hitting submerged items, its been really clean the past 2 years. Depending where you boat, you may have to have them spring loaded.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had Thrust Vectors on my AR190, I got to try a set of Cobras with Fangs setup and switched. I have them deployed fulltime. It helps my wife to be able to drive the boat more confidently and keeps a straight line easier. Im in a deep lake, so i'm not really concerned with hitting submerged items, its been really clean the past 2 years. Depending where you boat, you may have to have them spring loaded.
@njmr2fan - Do you have your Cobras or TV's deployed full time?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cobras Ultimates (and the new Vipers for singles) can be deployed full time. It is great if you like a more traditional boat handling feeling and a must have for any serious water sports.

--

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can only speak from experience but Jeff at Cobra Jet was awesome to deal with and the product makes a night and day difference imo at both low and high speeds. I added the fangs as well.
Thanks. I've reached out to him. I'm interested in control, and want to learn to wake board. It looks like CJ just might be the way to go.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have cobra jets but to be fair to both, very hard for most of us to make any reasonable comparisons without having tried both. Off course the ones that buy TV will say TV or Cobra buyers will say Cobra. I never tried out the TV just cause it does not work at speed was the only reason I went the other route. So if you want lil control at speed than Cobra but besides that I don't think you can go wrong with either during low speeds from what I've read on here.

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have cobra jets but to be fair to both, very hard for most of us to make any reasonable comparisons without having tried both. Off course the ones that buy TV will say TV or Cobra buyers will say Cobra. I never tried out the TV just cause it does not work at speed was the only reason I went the other route. So if you want lil control at speed than Cobra but besides that I don't think you can go wrong with either during low speeds from what I've read on here.
I'm new at this, and don't want to be doing 360s right next to the dock.:) I'm sure it's not that bad, but you get the idea. Thanks!

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm new at this, and don't want to be doing 360s right next to the dock.:) I'm sure it's not that bad, but you get the idea. Thanks!
it is almost that bad if you add in some good wind :D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I RECOMMEND every new jet boater to get used to the boat without these mods. I went all last summer without it and glad I did. Yes at first may be little embarrassing but in the long run the Captain will be glad he can control the boat regardless of the obstacles. Things happen and who knows one day those mods might break or something. Then what? Wait for more to come in before you take the boat out lol. I feel I can control my boat very well now being my first yamaha. I just wanted the Cobras/TV for better loading and around tight docks. To be honest, I really don't know how much it has helped me as I still control just like before really. The main difference is I can turn quicker at speed than I used to I believe. But during low speeds or wake, I just don't know.

I used to go in a cove, throw some cans out and use them as practice obstacle course. You really learn how the boat moves and how to compensate for things when you practice this way. Early mornings with calm waters is the best.

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I RECOMMEND every new jet boater to get used to the boat without these mods. I went all last summer without it and glad I did. Yes at first may be little embarrassing but in the long run the Captain will be glad he can control the boat regardless of the obstacles. Things happen and who knows one day those mods might break or something. Then what? Wait for more to come in before you take the boat out lol. I feel I can control my boat very well now being my first yamaha. I just wanted the Cobras/TV for better loading and around tight docks. To be honest, I really don't know how much it has helped me as I still control just like before really. The main difference is I can turn quicker at speed than I used to I believe. But during low speeds or wake, I just don't know.

I used to go in a cove, throw some cans out and use them as practice obstacle course. You really learn how the boat moves and how to compensate for things when you practice this way. Early mornings with calm waters is the best.
Cans. Like traffic cones for the water. What a great idea. This forum.....what can I say. Appreciate all of the help.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have a like new set of Cobra Ultimate fins available for $150. I had them on for three months and they only saw water for about 5 hours. Jeff just came out with the new Viper for the FSH190, so I switch over to them. Great product. You will see the most improvement at slow/no wake speeds.

I have purchased items from both Jeff at Cobra Jet and Will at Jet Boat Pilot and both are excellent.

If you are interested send me a PM.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
At the end of the day I think it really depends how you plan on using your boat or where you use it. I have the thrust vector as I like the spring load function as I spend a lot of my time out on the river next to the sand bars. However if I only boated in deep water and did not plan to pull up to sand bars I would probably go with the cobra's.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suggest learning how to handle the boat before you add these items. You may find as I did that they don't add anything. My 2d Yamaha came with fins installed. I figures what the heck, let's see what the big deal is. Truthfully, didn't notice anything. Then, one snapped off later in the day. Off they came the next day. Noticed no difference. I drove Tollus's 230 yesterday before my buddy bought it. Had the old style tiny fins on it, not sure which brand. The boat handled zero difference from my boat, finless. Zero. Think about the physics of it all. IMO, they really don't add much, if at all, to the handling. A tiny piece of metal or fiberglass pushing against all that water at high speed with a 3000 pound boat? Please. At slow speed? Use the engines. No thrust? No control. Thrust? Control. The slow speed assist? Sure, when you cut the engines you have no control as you come to a stop. In those few seconds? Perhaps those tiny things might assist just a tad control, for the few seconds it takes to stop. Simply not worth it. That's my opinion. Try operating the boat without the fins. You might find it quite easy to handle the way a jet should handle. Thrust? Control. No thrust? No control. Scroll to 23.00 for my on location commentary, lol!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have Cobras with Fangs attachment deployed 100% and locked. It makes it easy for my wife to drive the boat without over correcting and us fish tailing across the lake at speed!:eek: It also turns way easier with the Fangs.

It also allows her to tow me on the wakeboard easier. We've used them spring loaded, but I love them deployed 100%

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
However if I only boated in deep water and did not plan to pull up to sand bars I would probably go with the cobra's.
I never go in less than half-foot of water with my Cobras. ;)

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A tiny piece of metal or fiberglass pushing against all that water at high speed with a 3000 pound boat?
How big are your impeller blades? Must be huge. ;)

--