• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Comm Error Help

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good afternoon everyone,

Had the boat out yesterday and a few times when starting the engine from float mode it displayed the Comm Error indicator when turning over. It did not remain once the engine started.

This was only our second time taking the boat out so I don't know if this is normal, but I didn't notice it last time we had it out. Any ideas?

Does the boat store these codes anywhere accessible? I'm not even sure which system it's referring to.

Attachments

• 20210906_155917.jpg
    20210906_155917.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 2
I'm.having same thing started with port then starboard both tachs bounce and don't read and flash engine communication error ...engines run fine ..but ..I need to get this fixed

Yeah - mine literally only showed it while cranking then it once the engine/s were on it was gone. I noticed a couple times this weekend.

Yeah - mine literally only showed it while cranking then it once the engine/s were on it was gone. I noticed a couple times this weekend.

How's your batteries ? Voltage ? ..and condition, age ect ?

So the boat is new to me so I'm not completely sure the batteries age. Previous owner kept them on a trickle charger and I've done the same.

I noticed around 12.4 - 12.6 out on the water. I'll check more closely next time I take it out.

im in the same ( boat ) lol .... engines pur and run fine but no reading on rpms ..started with port then starboard ... change your batteries and let me know if works out ? im going to next season ..or have to take it in for service

If your noticing this while cranking then the most likely cause is batteries. You cant tell by the voltage while running. The batteries need to be load tested. The voltage is probably tanking while your cranking the engine. Just get a pair of good new batteries.

If your noticing this while cranking then the most likely cause is batteries. You cant tell by the voltage while running. The batteries need to be load tested. The voltage is probably tanking while your cranking the engine. Just get a pair of good new batteries.

In my case its the opposite .. after starting and idling they go fine its under throttle and acceleration they go haywire and start bouncing from 1 -8 flashing comm error ....

Here is what I would do:
  1. Check the batteries - when engines are not running. Voltage should be 12.3v or higher
  2. Unplug the connections to the back of the tachs and make sure they are dry.
  3. When the boat is acting up, lean into the area behind the helm and move the wires connected to the tachs - does this increase or decrease the problem? See if you can isolate a wire that causes the problem. On my boat I had a GPS ERR that was caused by the Orange CANBUS wire on the starboard (I think) tach.

interstate are the best batteries IMO .. I had the last one on my boat stamped 2015 and had no issues .. I kept it charged regularly ... it wasnt till this season I decided to replace both with the cheaper brand my nearest marina had by the register .. I asked how is this brand .. of course was told they are very good! .... Go with interstate 1000CCA even though they cost more .. and let us know . .. also repeat what Julian said as well ... I will be doing the same and hopefully resolve it ... other wise i will have to make appointment with dealer

Back