• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Concerned New Boater/ Battery Wiring Question/White Smoke

Madantek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Last year we were happy to pick up and enjoy a nice season onboard our 2017 Yamaha Limited S E Series...

I pulled her out of storage and just completed 2 oil changes and had my father in law with me who has "been boating for 30 years". This is where my concern arises...

We opened the battery compartment where last year I disconnected all wires and harnesses. Before I could get the manual to properly see how to replace to the proper configuration my Father in law tells me "it's foolproof and he's been boating for years so he can just do it for me without issue". Long story short he started by connecting the 2 Black thick negative wires to the positive terminal, white smoke was present in the engine compartment and I immediately took everything off and almost had a nervous breakdown. The boat was not turned on nor were the house or aux battery switches turned to on. This lasted for about 30-45 seconds in my opinion.

I followed the wires and they seem to hook up directly to a part of the engine itself, I'm assuming the alternator or similar component. I turned boat on next day after doing wires correctly and everything seemed to work fine and I couldn't fine any damage done at first glance following the black wire itself. Running the boat for 3 mins on the trailer the batteries still were increasing in voltage and all systems seemed to be in order.

I don't want to blow up or have an issue so I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure what those 2 black negative cables attach to on the engine? what voltage is normal when operating boat so I know what to look for? Given I saw white smoke I realize something sizzled so should I be panicking or can I just be cautious and observe?

I admittedly know nothing and learned a valuable lesson that I should be the only person who does pro bono work on my watercraft!

Thank you for any input- Adam

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like they were just hooked to the motor for a ground. If that's the case then I would think you would be ok, just that black wire cooking. But there are other far more knowledgeable people on here. I think @AndyD has that boat.. Maybe he knows more about those wires.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m not sure about where the wires go but on our boat the battery voltage tops out at about 14.3 on a full charge and drops to around the low 12’s high 11’s after a full day lounging with the radio on.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds to me like you might have burned a little of the insulation on the ground wires. The engine grounds run right to the starters, so if the starters work and the engine runs fine I'd say you are ok. One thing you could do is to take your phone and turn on its light and use your camera to record video under the engines of the wire connection points to the starters. Look for badly melted insulation. If you don't see any bare wires or badly melted insulation I'd just keep an eye on it and enjoy your boating!

In the future, when you disconnect the wires, label them and loop them together with a wire tie so you know which are grouped together and where they go.

Madantek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you so much all 3 of you! Have run the boat twice all day and no issues to report. Also talked to dealer and they said to just have fun because without knowing what burned they would have to rip everything apart. Enjoying life and the water and appreciate the sound advice!