• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering coming back to Yamaha from Axis

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys,

I miss my Yamaha, as I sold my 2018 AR240 (it was my 2nd Yami) and went to a 2021 Axis A22. While the Axis is a GREAT surf boat, I miss the versatility of the Yamaha. I am considering coming back into a 2023 255XE or XD. A few questions:

1). Do I really want or need the DRiVE system? While it seems cool, I think I’d find myself just doing it the good ol’ fashion way.

2). Will I be able to surf the boat ropeless from the factory?

3.). Not familiar w/ the SVHO motors — do the supercharged motors require additional maintenance, are they durable and reliable?

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

I cannot respond to if its ropeless surfable, but if you were fine with maneuvering you 18 ar240 than you dont need the XD.
The superchargers do not need periodic maintenance. But would invest in a couple of blow off valves, wont void warranty but will prevent unnecessary damage to the sprag clutch in the supercharger.

A friend of mine just took delivery of his 2022 255XD and loves it! He moved up from a 2017(?) AR240.

1. He loves the Drive system. I know he was looking forward to this upgrade and he was not disappointed.

2. He surfs the boat ropeless In stock trim.

3. From everything I’ve read on these forums the SVHO engines are durable and reliable. I think I’ve only read one thread where a supercharger clutch was a problem on a boat bought used, and one other where allegedly a motor failed but this was allegedly caused by a broken shaft on a 27’ boat, lots and lots of SVHO boats here with no issues. These motors are now in the 25’ FSH boats which folks are running off shore with zero issues. As @Neutron states there is periodic maintenance on the super charger clutch, I think it is at 200 hrs. There was an issue with heat soak on the earlier models intercooler but I think that issue was resolved with a factory updated intercooler on later models.

Again, my friend has been using his new 22 255 XD in very hot temps surfing with zero issues.

I myself and half a dozen friends all surf ropeless behind my 22, 255XE with zero issues at all. Is it as nice of a wave as your axis or any other dedicated wake boat? No, absolutely not. I bought this boat for the versatility though just like you described. I personally didn't want the drive system when I ordered mainly because it takes up even more storage room to house the system. I'm really glad I didn't get it now that I've read some reports on here about people losing their boat for months while waiting for the power steering that is part of the drive system to be fixed. I upgraded from an 08 AR210 so handling the boat wasn't a concern for me nor does it sound like it would be for you.

I am sure the Drive would be nice for docking but not 100% sure how it works. I use a lot of neutral and very slow fwd thrust, then a strong reverse thrust to finish docking. My concern would be reverse as sometimes docking in high wind/current situations I am using almost max reverse thrust. I don't think the Drive would be ideal in those situations.

As far SVHO - I am creeping on 430 hours on my 2020 195. So far so good (knock on wood). Supercharger clutch failed once, which I believe was user error. They are now on the 4th or 5th generation of the clutch.

I like my Drive system. I use it in my marina, pulling into my slip, and in busy coves; pretty much anywhere I like to stand up and see better. For me, the primary throttles are a bit of a reach while standing. Mine will do about 7mph fwd and plenty of reverse.

Back