• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Please consider the spin being applied to those findings, a simple fact remains it will take years to ascertain any of those very optimistic claims actually hold water.
Of course testing should speed up. And it does. But propagating “spin” can only do harm. The US NIH and FDA standards and guidelines for conducting clinical trials have been proven to be extremely effective in the last decade. There is a lot at stake if we tear those down in a rushed panic attack.

I dont really see how it's spin when the article goes over both sides of spectrum when using the drug. It doesn't say it's some magic cure or anything like that. It just says that they have seen some improvement in patients but it also mentions side effects some have experienced while taking it. It mentioned they have seen it being less effective if you don't catch the virus early enough but also could be anecdotal. Just too early to tell I suppose. Spin to me is making something seem better than it is in reality from a biased approach. I don't get that from the article even though it's from our local al.com which is heavily liberal driven.

I hope nobody reads into my post thinking it was some magical cure and if so please don't take it that way. Just spreading some info that FDA is looking into this more as more reports come in with other countries trying different medicines trying to find some sort of coping. I agree things can get scary when you tear down the safety barriers of clinical medicine. I am no expert in that field for sure so I will leave it to those individuals.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think it's time for banks and lenders to step up and repay the taxpayers that bailed them out not too long ago. They need to allow borrowers to be late a payment or two without penalties.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Day 6 of my ICU stint. Supplies are tight but available. Spike of critically ill patients overnight. Staff and doctor morale is steady but weary. We believe we can get through this.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just read where the FDA approved a new test which gives results in about 45 minutes compared to days of waiting and strains on lab resources.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Day 6 of my ICU stint. Supplies are tight but available. Spike of critically ill patients overnight. Staff and doctor morale is steady but weary. We believe we can get through this.
Y'all got this and be strong! Nation has your support and we thank you for you hard, long hours!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Please consider the spin being applied to those findings, a simple fact remains it will take years to ascertain any of those very optimistic claims actually hold water.
Of course testing should speed up. And it does. But propagating “spin” can only do harm. The US NIH and FDA standards and guidelines for conducting clinical trials have been proven to be extremely effective in the last decade. There is a lot at stake if we tear those down in a rushed panic attack.

These claims can be validated in months, not years. Rapid proof of concept studies are already underway, and compassionate use after peer-reviewed publication is easy to come by. Given the mortality rate once invasive respiratory support is required, the bars for safety and efficacy get much lower.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speaking of thinking.... I got to thinking: If WI does a shelter-in-place, what kind of bad stuff can happen that can hose me?

Plumbing, pipes, etc. I've got a reasonable supply of fittings, flux, solder, propane, and even a little MAPP gas. Long ago I installed local shutoff valves near all of my fixtures. Check.
Man, I'm really glad I've been planning a full replumb of the house! After reading your post, yeah, that hit me - I've got plenty of fittings already on-hand to address any issues, but I don't expect to have any at home because it's heated, but my place up north would have been a PITA to deal with if I hadn't redone everything with PEX last year! Still may have issues, but with as mild as the winter has been, I don't expect any freeze issues with the pump (and I winterized everything I could with anti-freeze before closing up). If there's ANY issues, I've got a good assortment of push-to-connect fittings for temporary use until things can be addressed, and I've got PEX at home already on-hand to swap out, as well as using up the excess I built into the lines when I ran everything in the first place.

I've been driving all over the state for the past week for work (I'm an "essential business" supplying food producers, so I gotta go to work). There has been no issue that I see EXCEPT for the area from downtown Milwaukee through the north side and into some of the surrounding areas (Menomonee Falls, Shorewood, for instance). Yesterday, I was driving throughout those areas, and it was looking like any old regular day of the week, to the point that I said to my wife "it looks like no one around here owns a radio or TV or even has any idea that there's anything going on!".

I have an electrical service upgrade that's been put on hold, and I was considering doing some framing in my basement in preparation...now, considering I don't wanna run a nail into my foot/hand or some other accident... I'll be installing 5 studs (header, footer, two ends and the laundry outlet stud) and calling it a success. Guess I'd be better served installing the insulation on the basement walls, and I've got 2 pork bellies to turn into bacon!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think we need to keep politics out of this thread and just focus on passing along facts, factual news, recommendations and best practices, and positive stories to get us through.

edit: and great cocktail recipes to get us through this crap
I read your report on your increased intake of Old Fashioned's, and in the spirit of your edit, I'd like to mention that your increase makes you a lightweight in Wisconsin (drink up, Sally, you're falling behind! You want a nipple on that thing?! LOL). To help you, here's a little something from my state to you, Charlie Berens from The Manitowoc Minute

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian use this post in whatever way you so desire, I only want you to avoid a heart attack! LOL

Are we supposed to assume our government is full of idiots that don't know what they are doing, and Facebook is what we should all listen to?????
The government is the only body that is going to dictate and enforce rules that will result in good isolation. The fact that a number of states are still allowing Restaurants to remain open is insane! My brother is HOPING they close in Florida because it has financial implications for him - he has insurance that would cover the losses if he's forced to close....but if he voluntarily closes...no.

So YES...the f'ing government SHOULD be doing their f'ing jobs and taking this seriously! The US government response is pathetic - federal, state and local! If their approach to containing this is "everyone use common sense, don't look to us to make rules".....we are all fucked! RANT OFF.
My brother is furious with his governor (FL). The main reason is because he gives zero notice or time on his announcements. Yesterday he closed all dine in at restaurants (finally)....which made my brother happy as he can now file an insurance claim, but the infuriating part is he made it effective immediately. The restaurant was open, staff were working, food was prepped etc. Its as if the guy has no clue about how a restaurant works and that not only is this devastating to restaurants, but we'll fuck em every little bit we can. There was no reason they couldn't have said it is effective tomorrow, or made the announcement last night! Yes these are hard decisions, but think!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Day 5 of lock-in.

19 year old daughter may be losing it.

A few minutes ago:
Q: What do you call a single Portuguese person?
A: A Portugoose!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I read your report on your increased intake of Old Fashioned's, and in the spirit of your edit, I'd like to mention that your increase makes you a lightweight in Wisconsin (drink up, Sally, you're falling behind! You want a nipple on that thing?! LOL). To help you, here's a little something from my state to you, Charlie Berens from The Manitowoc Minute

That guy would be fun to be quarantined with! Not sure about his old fashioned though!!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I may have mentioned at some point how much I hate city driving. I'm talking mid-city, stoplight-to-stoplight stuff. Makes me nuts. Madison makes me even nuttier - you add in the students and the bikes and it goes from worse to worsererererer.

Not today. Our appointed time to be at Tripp Hall to gather Katie's things was 9:00 a.m. I have never seen that city so deserted. There were a few vehicles around us in traffic and I think we saw a handful of pedestrians. At least it made the driving easy.

Loading her things into the Expedition, there were only a few other people around doing the same as us. They clearly scheduled the times so that the move-outs during those times were in different areas of the building using different doors.

The campus - and most of the city - was a ghost town.

We made it back to the house by noon, unloaded into the garage, and hunkered down.

This was also not the way she wanted to spend her 20th birthday. Ah well. A few disappointments in life are important. Soft steel makes a soft blade.

Chris made French Toast for dinner (Birthday person gets to pick) and a cake. Her boyfriend - who finally realized that this thing is no joke - joined us via Skype to sing Happy Birthday.

At Katie's request, we all got on our Minecraft Realm this evening and played together for about an hour. We did this a lot when she was in Kentucky. It gives you a chance to "see" one another and do some silly things together. So we all jumped on the server (including boyfriend) and had a good time. She's feeling better about things now.

@drewkaree I think there ARE people who don't know what's going on. My wife said a cashier at one of the local stores was checking them out and said "Boy, it sure is busy. And people are buying a lot of things. They must be going on a bunch of trips or something." My wife thought she was being sarcastic but she was serious as can be.

Tomorrow's plan is to balance my books for the month so that will actually feel somewhat normal. We'll see what Monday brings.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This just makes me sad. I think I’m most pissed off by the folks that seem to be cavalier about the whole social distancing thing. Kid across the street had 10 cars in front of the house last night. So I feel like a shit heel when I tell my kid she needs to stay home. Freaking bullshit.
E228C517-4885-41AC-89CE-61CBC0D5FAFE.png

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just read where the FDA approved a new test which gives results in about 45 minutes compared to days of waiting and strains on lab resources.
Yes, this is a great system, extremely fast and easy to set up (completely contained within a small cartridge which serves as an RNA extraction chamber and a RT-PCR machine all in one) - great tech designed to run literally anywhere with minimal infrastructure requirements. We have been using this system here for flu and in oncology testing (for example for the BCR-Abl1 fusion in in CML) - it is one of the best systems, and because of the features it permits UN-BATCHING of the sample runs, so one can run individual samples with no delay as they come to the floor - everything is internally controlled, so both the reliability and speed.
However, it is not a high throughput system.

--

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This just makes me sad. I think I’m most pissed off by the folks that seem to be cavalier about the whole social distancing thing. Kid across the street had 10 cars in front of the house last night. So I feel like a shit heel when I tell my kid she needs to stay home. Freaking bullshit.
View attachment 114109
Stay strong on this, despite how difficult it is. If you need motivation, look up information on lung damage this virus leaves in its wake for some severely ill people that manage to survive. You are doing everything possible to minimize that happening to your family + doing the right thing to help lower the curve.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I may have mentioned at some point how much I hate city driving. I'm talking mid-city, stoplight-to-stoplight stuff. Makes me nuts. Madison makes me even nuttier - you add in the students and the bikes and it goes from worse to worsererererer.

Not today. Our appointed time to be at Tripp Hall to gather Katie's things was 9:00 a.m. I have never seen that city so deserted. There were a few vehicles around us in traffic and I think we saw a handful of pedestrians. At least it made the driving easy.

Loading her things into the Expedition, there were only a few other people around doing the same as us. They clearly scheduled the times so that the move-outs during those times were in different areas of the building using different doors.

The campus - and most of the city - was a ghost town.

We made it back to the house by noon, unloaded into the garage, and hunkered down.

This was also not the way she wanted to spend her 20th birthday. Ah well. A few disappointments in life are important. Soft steel makes a soft blade.

Chris made French Toast for dinner (Birthday person gets to pick) and a cake. Her boyfriend - who finally realized that this thing is no joke - joined us via Skype to sing Happy Birthday.

At Katie's request, we all got on our Minecraft Realm this evening and played together for about an hour. We did this a lot when she was in Kentucky. It gives you a chance to "see" one another and do some silly things together. So we all jumped on the server (including boyfriend) and had a good time. She's feeling better about things now.

@drewkaree I think there ARE people who don't know what's going on. My wife said a cashier at one of the local stores was checking them out and said "Boy, it sure is busy. And people are buying a lot of things. They must be going on a bunch of trips or something." My wife thought she was being sarcastic but she was serious as can be.

Tomorrow's plan is to balance my books for the month so that will actually feel somewhat normal. We'll see what Monday brings.
Balance the books nowadays LOL.
82 cans of soup 1-25pound bag of rice 1-45pack of toilet paper +2 in each bathroom 2-8 ounce jars of hand sanitizer 22 bottles of Jack Daniels

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sure.
However, spreading misinformation is simply not a great way to manage a crisis, especially of this proportion. There are consequences.
From my perspective (of a clinical diagnostician/immunologist, currently an “essential” HCP) I am extremely concerned with spread of misinformation coming from the top such as overhyping untested medicines and services.

In this context, I read this piece this morning, I find the opinions of the officials cited, outside the cabinet, quite accurate (from my perspective).

You lost me at NPR. A known bastion of liberal propaganda. Thought we weren't going to take this into politics. Your disdain for POTUS is obvious. I posted on Thursday regarding the same malaria drug that has shown promise and is being widely distributed to hospitals. To make a snide remark on my post dismissing the potential hope to slow the spread of the virus and then at the same time make the below doom and gloom prediction couldn't be more irresponsible. People are looking for hope of which it some on this thread are not interested is as it impacts their agenda. This drug is far from pie in the sky. Maybe stay in your lane on this one.

swatski said:
Can’t divulge details, for obvious reasons, but let’s just say there is some disturbing news that will be coming out of the new testing, bad on many levels.
Basically - the $hit is about to hit the fan.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay fellas, let's just keep this thread about sharing knowledge, albeit facts or articles you find interesting without the political opinion. We are all in this together.....well, except maybe the douche bags that partied on the shores of Miami while the shit was hitting the fan. Nevertheless, let's keep this thread positive from the stand point of helping each other.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Z packs are also Helping with it to the point that every doctor around here has got them for all of their family.D936B388-685F-4B94-B582-916E97AB637C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.