• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cost to service

Mike murray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2014 242 Limited S last year. I sent it in for a few warranty issues. Since it was at the dealership I asked them to go ahead and service the engines. Any idea about what that should cost?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Unfortunately, the cost will vary and sometimes greatly, from 1 dealer to another, and from different regions of the U.S. as well.
My advice would have been to have the dealer give you a price to begin with before you brought in your boat.
@Mike murray ... Let me also take this opportunity to WELCOME you here. :Welcome: We are so glad you've joined us !
Wish I could have been more informative, but I would like to add that the oil change is a relatively easy, fast and simple process.
And something that you may next time want to tackle yourself. The $ savings might run into $200 to $300, or more.
We will gladly "guide" you thru the important elements of this service.
But I can assure you it is relatively painless ....... LOL !
Wishing you a great 2015 Boating year ! KILLER boat you purchased. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
And of course ........... +             CartoonWelcomeAboard 86 - Mike Murray sm.jpg

Last edited:

Mike murray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is why I asked. I purchased the oil and filters when I purchased the boat to do it myself. I have only run about 4 tanks full of fuel through the boat. I felt a little bad about only bringing it in for warranty work so I asked them to service the engines while they had it. I received a call today to tell me it was ready. The bill is just a mere $604. She said everything was under warranty but the service. When I asked why the bill was so high she replied "Sir you have to keep in mind there are 2 engines".

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... I felt a little bad about only bringing it in for warranty work ...
I did the same thing - I felt especially bad since it wasn't the dealer I bought it from. $500 some dollars later I had fresh clean oil (one engine slightly overfilled but hey - who's counting?) and MOST of the warranty items I mentioned were addressed in some sloppy fashion or other.

I've always done my own work and learned my lesson why very quickly.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can confirm, my first service was just north of $600.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My local dealer charges $800 for the 10 hours service, basically a lube, oil and filter job. If I use all yamaha materials from the dealer it would cost around $100. Plus a one time fee of $50 to $100 for an oil removal pump. I only take my boat to the dealer for warranty work but now that my warranty has expired I'd have to be desperate to take it there again.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Opportunity cost? or actual cost? All of these things mean something different to each individual.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm quoting the actual cost of a yamaha jet boat owner that I know paid it possibly for the same reason stated by others above (I.e., first boat and feeling like he should have the initial maintenance done by the dealer, in this case the dealer he bought the boat from). As an outsider I don't think the dealer reciprocated this customer's loyalty at all (no price break, no pick up or drop off of his boat nor did they get his boat in or out early). $800 for less than an hour of work and parts with a retail value of about $100.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My local dealer charges $800 for the 10 hours service, basically a lube, oil and filter job. If I use all yamaha materials from the dealer it would cost around $100. Plus a one time fee of $50 to $100 for an oil removal pump. I only take my boat to the dealer for warranty work but now that my warranty has expired I'd have to be desperate to take it there again.
X2

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yamaha.jpg You can get the oil change kit from Amazon for less than $60. My experience with boat mechanics in the past has been worse than with auto mechanics so I will do all my own maintenance, if possible. If I'm reading the manual correctly you are allowed to do the required servicing and still keep the warranty intact.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dealer quoted my about $800+ for the 10hr service on the 2015 240. I am so tempted to do it myself. Only problem I have in doing it myself is that if I have a warranty issue on the engines and Yamaha says I did not do the 10hr service and they contribute the issue to possibly not being during the required service, do I want the hassle of fighting with the dealer and Yamaha or do I spend the cash and have some peace of mind.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Edited by me after original posting, on 4-30-2015.

Here's the issue when it comes to Warranty:
YOU can perform required services yourself.
It's a good idea to have a CLOSE relationship with their dealer.

"WARRANTY CLAIMS" should be made through an authorized dealer.

But for the rest of us, our ADVOCATE is our dealer.

But you can perform the work yourself. The Courts ruled on this several years ago.

==> More information can be found specifically here:
http://www.nmma.org/membership/resources/marinewarrantylaw/federal.aspx

So if this involves timely oil changes and using the CORRECT oil types, etc, and filter changes, keep good records, with dates, etc, and maybe receipts for products purchased. If a situation arises, then your dealer is going to both put in a Warranty Claim for you.
It's that simple. That's why it is a GOOD IDEA to have a good relationship with your dealer.
You don't haveta spend a lot of additional money with him - just maintain a good relationship.
Your "Warranty" is in HIS hands. Period.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Mike murray I agree cost will vary by dealer and more do by region. What did the dealer do for $600?

@MikeyL we don't fight with Yamaha over warranty claims. It's just like anything, you file a bunch of bogus warranty claims they start to question them, you don't and they don't!

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to my manual: "The service information included in this manual is intended to provide you, the owner, with the necessary information for completing your own preventive maintenance and minor repairs."

I'm not going to pay $600-$800 for a $50 oil change...

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
According to my manual: "The service information included in this manual is intended to provide you, the owner, with the necessary information for completing your own preventive maintenance and minor repairs."

I'm not going to pay $600-$800 for a $50 oil change...
Well said @xoomer.
And necessary. Thanks for finding this.
By the way, if you as an owner are unclear about all of this still:
Please know the COURTS even responded and told the world YOU as an owner -
- CAN perform required services and
- Still receive a Factory Warranty Claim if that occurs !

Again, you can find more information here:
http://www.nmma.org/membership/resources/marinewarrantylaw/federal.aspx

If you are unclear about this item, please take a few minutes yourself and GOOGLE this.
You'll quickly see you do have "rights" as regarding Manufacturers' Factory Warranty (and subsequent Warranty Claims).

Last edited:

Mike murray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Williamsone46 they said they changed the oil and filters, replaced the spark plugs and greased the unit. I am just really disappointed that a simple service would cost so much. Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be doing all of my own service work in the future. Lesson learned.

CharlestonJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last year, I bought an SX230 from the original owner, always and only serviced by the local dealer. Before buying the boat, I had them check compression. The numbers varied well outside the service manual spec (180 220 220 230
; 200 180 220 225), but they said that was fine... I thought, oook, they're the experts. I asked them to give me engine hours (~260 per engine is what they told me). The bill for this inspection was around $350, if I remember correctly.

When I bought the boat (again, only serviced by them), I found that the oil was past the full mark, completely cold, on both engines (!!!). The hours, once I got the YDS kit, were actually ~340 (WTF?!), and that the compression (once I used this throttle body cleaning procedure:
), was nearly perfect, per the service manual.

So, in short, if a dealer can't change the oil correctly, check engine hours, or thinks wildly varying compression numbers are ok, they're not getting a nickel from me. I dreeead taking my new boat there for warranty work...

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I pick my boat up from it's first service today. I was told around $225 for it. There are also a few warranty items they are getting things ordered for and sending off some more warranty requests. I found a big blemish in the finish in the fiberglass the other day that my salesman is not happy with Yamaha about so we will see what happens there.