• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Couple questions

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

After searching through the FAQS, I thought I'd as a couple questions. I picked up a 14 AR192 this week, and it seems that it was NOT well taken care of. It only has 43 hours but it must have sat outside under the dirtiest Tree out there.

1. Why do my transom straps keep loosening?

2. The hydro turf is leaving black residue everywhere and making black marks all over the white seats everyone we step on them. It wipes off easily but I feel like these shouldn't be deteriorated this bad already.

3. The gas tank is extremely filthy under the hatch. I'm thinking of pressure washing the whole area, along with the ski locker that is very dirty as well. See any issues?

4. Boat will not steer straight even at high speeds. It isn't consistent either. I somtimes need pressure on the wheel one way, then the other. Very random. Normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. It is likely that the boat is moving forward on the trailer reducing the length of transom strap needed. I found this was less of an issue after installing boat buckle type mounted ratcheting straps.

2. It dries out in the sun. SeaDek is a much better product you can get in on this group buy https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-seadek-group-buy.11209/

3. Avoid damaging the electronics and you should be fine.

4. Is there excess play in the steering wheel? Is the jet centered when the wheel is? If there is no obvious mechanical issue install fins from Cobra Jet Steering or Jet Boat pilot to improve the steering control.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wind, currents, wakes, and a shallow draft jet boat equals wandering, a steady 10mph breeze requires what I would consider a lot of force to compensate. Also, weight distribution inside the boat can have a pretty dramatic effect.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hi all,

After searching through the FAQS, I thought I'd as a couple questions. I picked up a 14 AR192 this week, and it seems that it was NOT well taken care of. It only has 43 hours but it must have sat outside under the dirtiest Tree out there.

1. Why do my transom straps keep loosening?

2. The hydro turf is leaving black residue everywhere and making black marks all over the white seats everyone we step on them. It wipes off easily but I feel like these shouldn't be deteriorated this bad already.

3. The gas tank is extremely filthy under the hatch. I'm thinking of pressure washing the whole area, along with the ski locker that is very dirty as well. See any issues?

4. Boat will not steer straight even at high speeds. It isn't consistent either. I somtimes need pressure on the wheel one way, then the other. Very random. Normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best mod possible is to add your location and get to one of the gatherings! There a knowledgable person (or sometimes not so knowledgeable) will give you all the advice you ever need!
That and you can check out the thousands of dollars of upgrades you can do!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SAGERFLY welcome and congrats on the new boat. I "second" everything Bruce said and would add the following.

Have you tried scrubbing the hydro turf really well with soap and a scrub brush? That might help a little bit with the degradation. However it seems that once it starts deteriorating it just better to replace.

Second, there should be a drain for the fuel tank area, make sure that it's open when you psi wash the tank so that it can dry out properly.

As far as steering, that's hard to tell for sure without actually being behind the wheel. Jet boats do track differently than I/o's. So your situation could be normal. But if you want me to be 100% sure, just fly me out and put me up in a hotel, pay for meals and I'll spend a whole weekend diagnosing it if necessary because that's just how we do it here. ;)

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, please tell me this doesn't look like fiberglass repair. Also, pressure washed it all out. Looks fairly clean now.

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SAGERFLY I'm looking at your pic on my cel phone, so it's hard for me to see much detail. But it looks like there was some kind of damage around the lip of the fuel compartment and especially in the lower left corner of the tank area. One thing that stands out to me is that the fuel hose in the front left corner of the tank appears almost new while everything else looks so dirty. But I've never seen a fuel compartment and tank area on your year and model. Do you have any other pics? How does the fuel tank cover/floor look? Did the bolts remove easily? We're any of them stripped out?

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll take more pics in a bit. I really can't see what would have been damaged. The other side of the fiberglass looks completely fine.

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SAGERFLY I'm looking at your pic on my cel phone, so it's hard for me to see much detail. But it looks like there was some kind of damage around the lip of the fuel compartment and especially in the lower left corner of the tank area. One thing that stands out to me is that the fuel hose in the front left corner of the tank appears almost new while everything else looks so dirty. But I've never seen a fuel compartment and tank area on your year and model. Do you have any other pics? How does the fuel tank cover/floor look? Did the bolts remove easily? We're any of them stripped out?

Also, the fuel tank compartment is easy access, similar to the clean out and ski locker. Just turn the knobs

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  1. When getting the boat on the trailer, be sure you have some tension on the winch strap as you take up the slack. If you don't, the weight of the boat on the strap will slowly pull out the slack while you are towing. So release as little strap as you can, and when taking up what you do release, put your weight on the strap to ensure it is wound on tight. Also, after driving a little bit, do a hard stop and then get out and tighten the straps again.
  2. Hydroturf left out in the sun does break down. Try pressure washing it...but I fear it will keep crumbling.
  3. Looks like your cleaning is already underway! Man that locker is dirty....it will be rewarding cleaning!
  4. Steering is affected by wind, current, loading and even throttle levels.....my guess is this is just something you will get used to. But perhaps your nozzles are aligned.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The red colored fiberglass is likely an area that the factory did not gelcoat.

I am surprised at how dirty it was!

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The red colored fiberglass is likely an area that the factory did not gelcoat.

I am surprised at how dirty it was!
Are you saying it could be from the factory that way? Yeah I'm surprised too, the outside is nearly showroom except for some gel coat fading around the bow light.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
these boats are pretty bulletproof, I am not sure about the gas tank area, I've never looked at mine, but with only 43 hours, it does appear to be especially dirty.

These boats wander under slow speeds (no water coming out of the back to actually steer the boat), it takes practice to get used to driving one. As far as high speed wandering, I don't have that issue, seems to track straight when water is running through the jet.

You might want to access the clean out port in the rear and see if you can feel the impeller, just check that it feels pretty smooth, no major nicks.

Have you had the boat services? Changed oil? I know we are nearing the end of the season, do you plan to go out much more?

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
these boats are pretty bulletproof, I am not sure about the gas tank area, I've never looked at mine, but with only 43 hours, it does appear to be especially dirty.

These boats wander under slow speeds (no water coming out of the back to actually steer the boat), it takes practice to get used to driving one. As far as high speed wandering, I don't have that issue, seems to track straight when water is running through the jet.

You might want to access the clean out port in the rear and see if you can feel the impeller, just check that it feels pretty smooth, no major nicks.

Have you had the boat services? Changed oil? I know we are nearing the end of the season, do you plan to go out much more?

I plan to go out quiet a bit until it's just too cold. Oil looks nearly new. I plan to change it when I put it away for the winter and will do spark plugs and air filter in the spring. Going 30mph, if you let go of the wheel it turns. Almost dangerously. Slow speed is definitely difficult but I picked that up pretty quick and didn't even embarrass myself at the dock. It has cobra jet fins on the pump. I may remove them to see how it is without them. Overall, I'm happy with the boat and am looking forward to upgrades and making it mine. :)

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
not sure I ever let go of the wheel at 30, maybe my next outing. If you go 30 and hold the wheel, it tracks straight right?

those fins are supposed to make slow speed maneuverability much easier.

do you mind sharing what you paid? The reason I ask is I am going to upgrade to a larger boat and trying to see what shes worth.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you saying it could be from the factory that way? Yeah I'm surprised too, the outside is nearly showroom except for some gel coat fading around the bow light.
I am unfamiliar with your model but Yamaha does not gelcoat the fiberglass in some infrequently accessed areas. I have fiberglass that looks like that in the bilge area.

For comparison this is what it looked like under the not previously opened fuel than hatch on my 2007 SX230 when I opened it in 2015.

image.jpeg

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can someone post a pic of the front of their fuel tank access so I can see if mine does indeed have fiberglass repair? Thanks in advance.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can someone post a pic of the front of their fuel tank access so I can see if mine does indeed have fiberglass repair? Thanks in advance.
If nobody has posted a pic of theirs by tomorrow I'll do it for ya when I get home from work.