• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cover came loose and damaged the boat

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Last Friday I was towing the camper and my wife was following me with the boat. We were about 6 miles into our 20 mile trip to the lake when I noticed the cover was loose on the boat. We stopped right away but the damage was done. The cover is shredded, the boat is covered with nicks in the gel coat and several black marks on the seats with one small cut. Where should I start with getting this fixed? Should I call the insurance company?

The good news is we had a great time at the lake.

image_zpsn945tgyt.jpg

image_zpsgxuyhe9v.jpg
image_zpsjvmpbwiz.jpg
image_zpso9ksnadf.jpg
image_zpsw9lqyrv0.jpg
image_zpsivulginm.jpg
image_zpsegc7jvmr.jpg
image_zps3ej1nlxt.jpg

Man...Sorry for your pain. I would make a claim, because there is no way I could ever look at that damage and not be sick to my stomach.

Wow. Was that all from the ratchet flopping around?

Yes the ratchets can do some serious damage and we didn't even get over 50 mph. I wish yamaha put the ratchets on the front of the covers like the shipping cover. I was sick when I first saw it but it could have been worse. Luckily it was daylight when we were towing otherwise it would have been much worse. It will defiantly be fixed but I'm not going to let it take away from the boating season. If they can't fix it in a few days during the week it will need to wait until the off season.

After you get your claim going. Magic eraser and elbow grease may clean up a lot of the black scuffs and marks. In the fiberglass and on the seats.

Oh man I just got sick looking at that. But you got the right attitude. And like mentioned above, I bet some Magic Eraser would at least take the black scuffs out and make it a little less noticeable. Good luck with getting it fixed. Hope it's quick.

After you get your claim going. Magic eraser and elbow grease may clean up a lot of the black scuffs and marks. In the fiberglass and on the seats.

I agree that the magic eraser should take out some of the scuffs, but be careful on the elbow grease as you can further damage the gelcoat. I have been amazed at some of the scuffs that the magic eraser removes effortlessly. Sorry about the damage.

I started the claim process tonight we will see how it goes in a few days. I can't be sure how the cover was installed. A friend was helping us get ready and I was out of my normal routine. We were in a hurry and now I'm paying the price. Either way I blame Yamaha, if the seats would not blow out I would not need to tow with the cover to my local lake. I guess it's Yamaha's way to ensure we are required to make a $650+ purchase every 5 years or so.

Holy crap just thru up in mouth / dizzy/sick to stomach . Black scuff mark all should come off the nicks are another story . All fixable for a price good luck. We are all feeling bad for you

Ugh. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

@Glassman - Any suggestions for repair? Does this look buff-able?
Yes

From what I can make out, it should clean up. There looks to be random chunks missing, I can't tell how bad. Don't let it sit, if you can fill any deep chips now, before any dirt or polishing compound gets in it, you'll be able to polish the repair out all at once. Wipe it down with acetone to clean the dirt off and get a better idea of what you are looking at.

Last edited:
I know that some people use the big bungee type nets when towing to keep things in the boat for short trips. Just an idea for your the future. To avoid the entire cover

Yes

From what I can make out, it should clean up. There looks to be random chunks missing, I can't tell how bad. Don't let it sit, if you can fill any deep chips now, before any dirt or polishing compound gets in it, you'll be able to polish the repair out all at once. Wipe it down with acetone to clean the dirt off and get a better idea of what you are looking at.

I'm still waiting on the adjuster to give me a call but if they can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time should I use Spectrum color or just mix my own gel coat?

I love the thought of a cargo net to travel with. clip to the bow eye, the 6 cleats, and to the rear trailer eyes under the swin deck..... would be nice to let the boat dry out on the drive home, much simpler to put on and get out of dodge...
Wonder how much a custom one would be. Would even save on the mpg's of having to pull a sail boat down the road at 70-80mph.... custom fit to make it nice and tight so when seats or carpets to get blowing around they are safe... hmmm... i might need to learn to make nets and buy a few miles of bungee cord...

your cover does not have a zippered section around the ratchets?
The nicks are definitely not something you can just buff away. They need to be filled, sanded, then finished with a buffer. Not a major job, but a delicate one. as far as the seats, depending on the tear and on your acceptance of damage, it can be patched or reupholstered. In any case, magic eraser should take care of most of the black marks.

Wow I know you hate the results! As mentioned above it looks like chips are missing and the seats could be repaired with a repair kit. I saw that Gorilla tape now has a clear tape. I know it sucks but it is waterproof and will hold anything. I am thinking you may want to use that to prevent the rip(s) from getting worse while you decide next steps. I am curious how your insurance will handle this too.

your cover does not have a zippered section around the ratchets?
The nicks are definitely not something you can just buff away. They need to be filled, sanded, then finished with a buffer. Not a major job, but a delicate one. as far as the seats, depending on the tear and on your acceptance of damage, it can be patched or reupholstered. In any case, magic eraser should take care of most of the black marks.

Yes the ratchets were zipped up! I feel confidant that I can repair the gel coat and the seats will come clean. I do have one small 1/4" tear in the back rest cushion on the swim platform that I will need to figure out but otherwise it could be worse. The worse part is I had a tire blow out 3 weeks ago on the camper that did $1300 in damage! I just finished the repairs the day that the cover came loose. When it rains it pours.

I'm still waiting on the adjuster to give me a call but if they can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time should I use Spectrum color or just mix my own gel coat?

The Spectrum product is great stuff and if they have your year/color I do recommend it - but be very careful with the supplied catalyst.
The ratio instructions are a bit vague. The jar is two ounces, but there are no measurements on the container, so I recommend mixing a small amount first to get a feel for how much is needed to kick it.
Use a fine, flexible putty knife (we sand them flat with fine paper on a belt sander) to apply the product and them use the knife edge or an old credit card to scrape the excess off. I would also recommend spraying some PVA over the area after you've filled all the nicks to help with curing.
Let it cure fully before lightly wet sanding - I'd start very fine 800-1000 and move up to 1500-2000 and polish. Then wax, then go have fun.:cool:

Back