• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cruising in Alaska.....

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not a fan of these floating hotels by any means. Never been; have no desire. But the kids want to do this. Any tips? Best cruise lines in Alaska? Where to you embark from? Thanks!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have not been on an Alaska cruise but have been on and enjoyed several others. Alaska will probably be next since princess or royal Caribbean runs one out of SF (otherwise I'd have to travel to scal to go on a cruise to ak, ha or Mexico). Alaska cruises may start in Seattle as well but I'm not sure of this.

First, understand the cruise agenda, most go directly to the furthest destination before stopping so you may not touch land for the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the trip.

Also, try and get an outside cabin (I.e., one with a window), so that it is easier to keep your sleep pattern intact. This won't matter as you go farther north and depending on when you go (I worked in Kodiak for two summers as a teen, the sun never went down, it was always like early morning for the 2.5 months I was there).

If your family tends to get sick or you think you may need to cancel or post pone the trip buy the insurance.

Bring lots of cash for tips. On carnival they put out a daily paper/flyer that outlines not only the days events but also the recommended tips per service provider per day. They also include envelopes, if you don't tip "well" you can expect that the service provided to you will decrease or be rendered later when compared to other passengers.

Cruises tend to have a lot of events so read the daily paper and plan accordingly or you may miss the comedy show, ice sculpture carving, viewing the aurora borealis, etc. that you may be interested in.

Other than carnival be sure to check the top deck out around the smoke stack, especially if it is "covered or shielded" this may be where the nude sun bathing is allowed (and cameras are not) for those that hate to have or look at tan lines. Again, this may not be the case in a cruise to Alaska because the average air temp may not be suitable for sunbathing at all.

They serve food 24 hours a day, mostly buffet style except dinner. Bring at least one dress outfit for the captains dinner night. Oh you can order as much as you like since the price is included in the cruise fee. So it's ok and on one of my cruises common to see or others order two or three dinners in a single session. For instance, ordering two lobster meals along with a steak meal. This applies to food not the drinks but you may be able to buy an all you can drink plan depending on the cruise line you go with. Gambling is allowed X miles from shore and the shore excursions are customized to each cruise. I'd bet for Alaska they include at least hiking on an iceberg and whale watching from a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) but these things are not included in the cost of the cruise so budget accordingly.

Be aware of the cruise lines policy regarding sick guests. One of my coworkers is a cruise fiend and takes at least two per year, sometimes vey exclusive ones on different lines. He tells me if you come down with a cold or stomach flu while onboard. They immediately wash all of your bedding and clothes then they basically quarantine you until the doctor on board clears you. Meaning you eat last, you don't serve yourself and you spend a lot of time in your cabin.

Lastly, mark you luggage so that it is easy to find. When you deboard they basically point you to a pile of luggage for your deck or section of it and it's up to you to figure out which is yours, the same is true at the air port but multiplied 10 or more times over for cruises.

Have fun and dress warm or bring layers (I have a friend going on a 9 day Alaska cruise next month out of SF, the long term forecast is highs in the low 50s which is normal for some but not a ca girl like her).

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had no idea tipping was mandatory on cruises....I assumed they were all inclusive...yuck! Cruises (except perhaps an Alaska cruise) never really appealed to me....and the Mrs gets seasick....so doesn't matter anyway! LOL

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn't say tipping is mandatory but it is expected. I don't mind tipping the cabin person who basically provides the maid like services found in hotels or the waiters at dinner but have an issue tipping the maître de (sp) who basically acts like a restaurant receptionist that seats you at dinner.

Its easy to get nailed on extra charges for all of the staged photo ops as well (e.g when you board and deboard you pose for pics in front of props, signs and such, the pics are available for viewing and purchase later that night).

The excursions are not cheap. We took a golf cart tour of Catalina island and a jeep tour of mazatlan (sp) for $80 each or $240 per tour (they charge by the person even though we only used one golf cart and one jeep).

For seasickness I've heard its like boating in that you need to take the anti seasickness meds before you get sick otherwise you are in for a bad time. The sealegs symptoms are similar to those experienced by those who are based on navy ships, it takes a few days to get used to being back on land after a cruise.

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. guys. Kind of confirmed the reasons I never have, and never will take a cruise I suppose. Except for that Windjammer Barefoot cruiser over 25 years ago on the Fantome, in the Caribbean. Now that was a hoot on that sailing rig; incredible party . Too bad the "Fantome" tried to and failed to out run a hurricane a few years later and put the line out of business!

http://www.fortogden.com/fantommiamiherald.html

A bit dated, but it was exactly like this

Oh well. No floating hotels in Alaska for me.....

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been on 4 cruises and personally love the atmosphere. All in the Caribbean so I can't speak much for Alaska. However, If you want a relaxing vacation then a cruise is by far over prices and you will walk away unsatisfied. However, if you want to have a vacation that you get to do this then that and ultimately non-stop activities and entertainment then a cruise is right for you. I've seen so many folks walk away from a cruise dissatisfied because all they wanted to do is relax and then they moan and groan because they couldn't relax due to the "up-beat" atmosphere and saying they wasted there money.

For tipping on Carnival, I've NEVER seen envelopes or anything of the sort for tipping, however, they do have a tip field on bar receipts but that is for additional tipping over and above the charged tip for the cruise which is typically ~$150 per person (depending on length of trip) then added to your sail and sign card (on-board credit card) for gratuity and then charged to your card at the end of the trip. So say you and your wife go on a week long trip, that's ~$300 total for gratuity for 21 meals and twice a day room cleaning.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife loves cruising but I'm not a fan. We went on the Allure of the seas last year, mainly because it intrigued me to go on the largest cruise ship in the world. I wasn't disappointed but really feed up by the numerous rude guests from South America.

My wife is planning an Alaska trip with Royal Caribbean, and to be honest I'm up for it, as I would imagine, and from talking to others, you'll meet nice people on this type of cruise.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know why others experiences on carnival would be different from mine but I've taken 3 cruises with them all to Mexico and all out of scal and every time at the end of the daily paper / flyer the was the suggested tip guide and if I used any of the tip envelopes near the in room safe they would be replenished. We never add the tip to the room balance just put the cash away for them at the stern of the trip now them increase or decrease it accordingly on the last night before we give them out at the last dinner.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just got back last night from a 7 day cruise. It's my second cruise. And I was not crazy about another 7 day cruise, however, when it gets toward the end, you are wondering where the time went. I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. I didn't think I'd like it either on the first one.

The one I just took was on Carnival Legend out of Tampa, FL. My previous cruise was on Carnival Freedom. The food was better on the Freedom and the boat layout was a little better.

As far as the tipping, it was included in the bill at the end (not the initial price). $80 per person, and that covers the wait staff and the people that clean the rooms everyday (can't remember what they call them at the moment). However, we make a habit of leaving them a little extra at the end, escpecially if they were good. The $80 does not include room serivce (food) or the bar wait staff.

Again, I'd recommend going at least once. Plus your wife will love you for it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You will be bowled over with spectacular Tom. A cruise in Alaska waters is not typical of any other cruise. And if I could tell you anything, it would be contrary to most advice cruisers would give, because most cruisers don't do Alaska.

If you get a choice of cruises, do one that includes Glacier Bay and forgo the Hubbard Glacier routing. If you do, you will cruise right up into Glacier Bay and they will sit for a few hours and you can enjoy lunch on the fantail deck and just take in the beauty...just don't jump out of your chair when the Glacier your parked in front of "calves" a chunk of ice the size of a building, and it sounds like a bomb went off!

One of the best bits of advice I could share, is that you don't stay in your room. If you are looking out at the scenery, you are on deck, not in your room. So an outside room or balcony is a complete waist of money. I can tell you also, that cruise ships are built for tropical climates...and those with balcony rooms complained they were cold! Secondly, if anyone in your party is bothered by motion sickness, an inside room has less roll and pitch along the centerline of the ship, and will be less bothersome when crossing the gulf of Alaska.

We cruised from Seward, a seaport town on the coast away from Anchorage. It is about a 7 hour trip from Achorage to Seward by bus, and is interesting but long. The larger vessels can't come into Anchorage due to 29' tides!!! So Seward is the port. From Seward, we went along the coast and into Prince William Sound. I can't remember the exact timing, but it was beautiful and then during the night, we cruised across the gulf and woke up to the naturalist on board just about to wet himself...because we were in a pod of about 200 Orcas! Yep, right in the middle of them, and they were all sleeping and right on the surface. Then we left and drifted into a big group of humpbacks that were lunge feeding and we had a front row seat for that as well. After the whale adventures, we cruised farther into Glacier Bay and enjoyed the magnificence of that for the day.

From there, we hit the ports of Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. The only tour we did other than walking, was an expensive but worth every penny, two part trip. We did a tour by Twin Otter on floats, up a glacier, across the ice field and down another glacier and back to the airport. About 30 minutes in all, but I shot 4 rolls of film and had tears in my eyes the entire time...incredibly magnificent. If I had had a digital camera (before they were the rave), I would have shot over 1000 pictures. The second part of the tour was a tour through the bald eagle preserve. We floated down a river through the preserve on big white water rafts, but the river was tame. Bear, moose, otter, beaver, and eagles...all present and accounted for. I could write paragraphs about this excursion and the $250 a person that the 2 part trip cost would be a bargain at $500 each.

Tom, the tidewater glaciers are disappearing at alarming rates. Go see them. In the last 80 years, the ice has receded 80 miles in Glacier Bay!!! There will be no more tidewater glaciers in that bay before my lifetime ends. Go now. You will enjoy this trip so much, you won't care that you did it by cruise ship, even if you hate the idea of a cruise. It is the only 7 day or more trip that we have ever done, we are not cruise people. But we would do that one again in a heartbeat. The package that the cruise lines put together for Alaska is very different than the atmosphere for the caribbean. I suspect there are many places that the lines cruise that are similar to Alaska but it isn't the open season party boat that you see in the tropics. We only had one formal night in the dining room, and I rented the clothes for it and my wife bought a dress...she wore only that once and at a wedding. We took warm clothing, but it would have been fine in a medium to light coat or jacket with long sleeves and a good sweater. Do take knitted stocking caps and gloves, you spend a good deal of time outside. It isn't too cold in the towns, just at night and in Glacier Bay and the Sound. If you and your family can get the time to do it, a train tour (adds at least a few days if not 3 or more) up to Denali and Fairbanks from Anchorage and back. We didn't do it, but those we talked to loved that as well. Have a great trip and take loads of pictures...you know where to post them when you get back!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Make no mistake, even for all the "perceived" negatives I raised, if my son's schedule allowed for it I would be on the Alaskan Cruise our friend is going on this May.

Maybe Carnival changed its tipping practices or they differ from location to location. It makes sense for Carnival to pre-charge you for the tip, this way they are sure to get it. I find it hard to short change the help on cruise ships. Many of them are foreigners that send a lot of what they make back home to their families. My understanding is that unless you are on the bridge crew or are a performer like a comedian or singer, the wages suck as do the working/living conditions (I have heard 6 to a cabin while underway is not uncommon).