• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dash Pod Relay (maybe)

frascona

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Question: What is the small black box mounted under the dash of my 1996 Rea Rayder? It connects to power and ground, and then has a lead to the tachometer, and the other to the start engine switch. I think it may be the listed as an Ignition module in the wiring schematic. But it seems to be a siple relay.

The issue is that when I turn the key on, it feeds power to the gauges for about second, and then the power lead goes dead. Turn the key off and then on again, it feeds power for 1 second then no more. I am trying to determine if the issue is with the box, or something else.

The box is under the dash... I think it is going out. It gets the signal from the start switch, and the output wire feeds the gauge cluster. Currently, when the key it turned on, the relay sends power the the gauges for 1 second, and then stops. Turn the key off and on again, and it sends power again for a second.

The box looks original and it is sealed with only the 4 wires coming out. I am thinking I should try and replace with a marine waterproof relay and see if everything works.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Question: What is the small black box mounted under the dash of my 1996 Rea Rayder? It connects to power and ground, and then has a lead to the tachometer, and the other to the start engine switch. I think it may be the listed as an Ignition module in the wiring schematic. But it seems to be a siple relay.

The issue is that when I turn the key on, it feeds power to the gauges for about second, and then the power lead goes dead. Turn the key off and then on again, it feeds power for 1 second then no more. I am trying to determine if the issue is with the box, or something else.

The box is under the dash... I think it is going out. It gets the signal from the start switch, and the output wire feeds the gauge cluster. Currently, when the key it turned on, the relay sends power the the gauges for 1 second, and then stops. Turn the key off and on again, and it sends power again for a second.

The box looks original and it is sealed with only the 4 wires coming out. I am thinking I should try and replace with a marine waterproof relay and see if everything works.
Does it have any part numbers of writing on it at all? I agree....looks like the ignition module based on the wiring diagram (although the wires colors don't line up)

frascona

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just heard back from Sea Ray. They said "The module served as a delay to the gauge signal when the ignition was activated. Based on your description the module has failed. The module can be by-passed with the connection direct to the gauge. "