• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Day Shapes

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone undertaken to display day shapes on one of our vessels? If so, how did you do it. For example, the ball is to be displayed while at anchor. Does it go on a post somewhere? Doesn't seem like you would see it to hang it anywhere... What do people do?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Never heard of day shapes. I know that I need a flag out if someone is in the water, but never heard of a day shape.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For me I think this would involve just glueing a huge image of a Miller Lite can on a blank flag and I'm good!!!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never seen a marine yacht or pleasure boat displaying day shapes. I have only seen working/stationary barges use them as they are typically in the channel and need to display how traffic should move past them.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apparently, they are optional for all of our size boats, except for the at-anchor day shape (the ball), which is required if you are greater than 23 ft and not anchored in a designated anchorage.

Learning all sorts of crap from this Chapman book... Still researching this one, though, as I (like you) have never seen anyone with a day shape on our lakes. And I cannot imagine that if there were a rule that our local Constables would not be enforcing it (though on the lakes on which I boat, I suspect they are not falling under the USCG rules).

PedalPirate

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
CG navigation rules -Rule 30(e) - vessels less than 7meters (23feet) when at anchor not near a narrow channel, fairway, or where other vessels normally navigate shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed.

However, common sense rules apply. I've never heard of someone issuing a ticket for a vessel greater than 23' for improper day shapes while at anchor. Keep in mind, if someone hits your boat while at anchor, a savvy lawyer could place blame on you for not prescribing to the rules.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right. Those of us with AR240's and SX240's don't fall within Rule 30(e), therefore we are subject to 30(a), still. That requires the day shape on the front of the vessel. That is, if we are in navigable waters (which, up here on Lake Conroe, I am usually not).

But I was just looking at all of the diagrams I have seen of that, and I have no idea how one would secure a ball day shape there...

PedalPirate

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right. Those of us with AR240's and SX240's don't fall within Rule 30(e), therefore we are subject to 30(a), still. That requires the day shape on the front of the vessel. That is, if we are in navigable waters (which, up here on Lake Conroe, I am usually not).

But I was just looking at all of the diagrams I have seen of that, and I have no idea how one would secure a ball day shape there...
You are completely correct. Vessels SHALL display the shape. Annex I allows you to use a "reduced" size shape for vessels less then 20 meters. You could tie a black tennis ball to your stern light post and that would suffice. However, I've been a CG Boarding Officer for 20 years this coming June, and I nor my shipmates have written a recreation day shape violation.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Annex I allows you to use a "reduced" size shape for vessels less then 20 meters. You could tie a black tennis ball to your stern light post and that would suffice. However, I've been a CG Boarding Officer for 20 years this coming June, and I nor my shipmates have written a recreation day shape violation.
Excellent idea! Thanks for that, and for your service. CG too often gets short shrift on those thanks, IMHO.

I was actually much less worried about getting a violation (I'm not usually on navigable waters anyway) and more about safety. As a relatively new boater, if there is a something I can do out there to mitigate the risk and make everyone on the water safer, I certainly want to do that. Boating is too much fun for me and the kids than to mess it up with accidents and hazards.

Thanks again!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I want to second the thanks for your service @PedalPirate !!! Much appreciate you keeping our waters safe.

Top Bottom