• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Day trip from Topsail NC to Wilmington NC

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This was the first time we have done this run. Absolutely gorgeous day and the water was as blue and clear as I've seen it in a long time. We docked at Bluewater grill, then just cruised around Wrightsville beach for a while. Then we of course found a sandbar around Mason inlet. All in all, a great day. Next day trip will be Shackleford Banks and Cape Lookout. @Julian may recognize some of the scenery.

IMG_69128911440095.jpeg IMG_69097305183422.jpeg IMG_69097305183422.jpeg IMG_69114153954975.jpeg IMG_69114153954975.jpeg IMG_69156595187992.jpeg IMG_69164212065757.jpeg IMG_69189997019211.jpeg IMG_69207005839596.jpeg 20140601_152436.jpg IMG_69207005839596.jpeg
IMG_69076817254231.jpeg IMG_69086176753696.jpeg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian we launched at a NC Wildlife ramp next to the draw bridge in Surf City. It was about a 25-30 mile run south. The ramp was in a nice location, but the dock itself was lousy with poles on the outside.....I hate those.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice pictures....boats look great!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad to see you joined @mwilliams . Now go introduce yourself in the "welcome aboard" thread.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome pics! What a beautiful day and area.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow! Now that's a run I might like to do. Thanks for sharing. The pics look awesome.

I am heading down to OBX in a few weeks but regretfully will not be bringing the boat. I might have to schedule a weekend trip though.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been contemplating trailering my boat down to Topsail/Surf City this summer for our annual beach week. This thread might have put me over the top in my decision. I will be trailering from Charlotte, NC so it wouldn't be too far. Never had the boat in salt water but don't think it would be a big deal, just have to flush it and spray it down. Just need to get the wife on board. We go with about 30-40 people down to the beach so I am sure there will be takers on a few boat rides.

What kinda advice do you have if I were to bring it down and explore the IWC @redthumper9 ?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We've put in at Scott's Hill Marina (which is right at Rich Inlet) and have cruised towards and past Wrightsville a couple of times. Love doing that trip! We've never gone the other way (NE) towards Topsail. Hanging out at sand bars is awesome! Just make sure you keep the boat deep enough! Both times we've been there, we've seen beached boats waiting for the next tide! Ours grounded once just a little....scared the crap out of me....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been contemplating trailering my boat down to Topsail/Surf City this summer for our annual beach week. This thread might have put me over the top in my decision. I will be trailering from Charlotte, NC so it wouldn't be too far. Never had the boat in salt water but don't think it would be a big deal, just have to flush it and spray it down. Just need to get the wife on board. We go with about 30-40 people down to the beach so I am sure there will be takers on a few boat rides.

What kinda advice do you have if I were to bring it down and explore the IWC @redthumper9 ?
Salt water is no big deal...especially if you are only going to do it for a weekend. Just bring down some Salt Away, vinegar or Dawn to flush with. We love the ICW, and for us, there is nothing like the salt air. If you stay somewhere near Surf City/Topsail Beach, you are not only about 25-30 miles north of Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington area), you are also about the same distance from Swansboro/Emerald Isle. Sandbars are plentiful, scenery is gorgeous. You can even get adventurous and trailer the boat farther north toward Morehead/Beaufort. There you will find Shackleford banks where the wild horses roam, and you are only about a 30 min ride to the lighthouse at Cape Lookout. A few things to be cautious of: boating in lakes is something I have never done, but I know you dont have to generally deal with currents, tides and winds like we do here. Near the inlets and some of the sandbars, you have to be careful depending on the tides.....shallow water can sneak up on you. Keep and eye on the other boats and where they go and where they stay away from. Know if its high or low tide when you go out so when you drop anchor at a sandbar, you know what to expect to do to your lines throughout the day. For instance, if the tide is coming in and you anchor stern first, use a short bow line and long stern line. As the day goes on and the tide comes in, you let more bow line out and pull the stern in. If it works out, maybe we could meet somewhere? Any other questions, dont hesitate asking.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for info @redthumper9 very useful. Ill keep you updated on our plans.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mike DD

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg

Lunch in South Port

image.jpg

Lockwoods Folly Inlet

image.jpg

Heading out of Lockwoods Folly at Holden. Beach

image.jpg
Taking a swim offshore

image.jpg

Southport water front.

Good day Jet Boaters. (1st posting) Last summer we decided to explore the ICW off Oak Island NC. We had rented a beach house for the week so decided to take the 2008 AR230 down for the 1st time. We had tried to do this two summers ago and unfortunately the transmission in out 1999 Ford Expedition packed up and ruined our plans.
With a new tow vehicle (F150) and a weeks vacation we set off to Oak island. Taking the AR230 down to the ICW was the highlight of the summer. We spent the week launching out of Dutchmans Creek public ramp. Excellent facility, open 24 hours, and free. It is well protected and easy to launch and recover. The ramp is just east of the South Port Brunswick airport. Coming out of the creek, a left takes you to SoutPort, and a right down past Oak island to Holden beach. SouthPort has many water front restaurants, a great place for lunch or dinner. Heading down to Lockwoods Folly inlet at Holden beach, you'll pass Joseph's Bistro at the South Harbor Village, then the St James Marina and resturant. We ventured out into the ocean through the channel at Lockwoods Folly. Very enjoyable. Further down the ICW towards Ocean Isle is the Inlet View bar and Grill. Plenty of good docking and good food. We all had such a good time that we went back a few more times last summer and stayed at the Hampton Inn outside South Port for 2 nights at a time, it's a short drive from the Dutchmans Creek ramp. This summer we will have a beach house for two weeks at Holden beach, and will DEFINETLY be taking the AR230.
Mike DD

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome and great first post!!! Where are you located? We are up in the Raleigh area and boat often on Jordan.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mike DD. Very cool. We have some friends that have a place at the Marina Inn in Myrtle Beach. We were thinking of trailering to Southport and making the trip to Myrtle from there. Your pictures make me think we should spend some time around Southport. Looks like you had a great time. The ICW has so much to offer.

Mike DD

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg
Aerial view of boat ramp on. Fish Factory Rd, airport to left, Southport to right.

Last edited:

Mike DD

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and great first post!!! Where are you located? We are up in the Raleigh area and boat often on Jordan.
Water boy, we keep our boat at Jordan Lake, Crosswinds marina. 90% of boating done at Jordan. 10% up at lake Gaston. Friends have a lake house up there which we visit a few weekends during the summer. Tow the boat up and launch at Eaton Ferry Marina.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mike DD We will have to keep an eye out for you up at Jordan. I'll be in the Black 210 pulling all my girls around in circles on the lake!!!

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Mike DD I rented that condo you are parked in front of this past summer. Love Southport!