• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

dead batteries need help

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I left boat in wet slip. Left the automatic bilge on. Batteries are dead. I can't get the light in the bathroom or head to go out its always on I think this is the problem does anyone know how to turnoff. This is the third week it's been there and I have never had this before. If I turn all the power off is there anything to worry about like why would the boat take on any water if covered well and in covered slip? Any advice. I have it on a charger now and I have the house starter and parallel switches on is this right or should I turn the parallel off and just charge the start

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would put your battery switch to OFF. Esp if your charging. That SHOULD turn the light off..SHOULD..
Also if you have a good cover on nice and tight you shouldn't have any problems with rain build up. Just remember to nscrew your drain plugs.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Simple thing is to undo the light bulb in the head. Sorry but I can't help you on the charging question.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would put your battery switch to OFF. Esp if your charging. That SHOULD turn the light off..SHOULD..
Also if you have a good cover on nice and tight you shouldn't have any problems with rain build up. Just remember to nscrew your drain plugs.
Does it matter which battery I'm hooked two. I'm not sure which is the start and which is the other. I will unscrew that light cause I don't think there is a switch for it. I wander why it happened this week and not any other

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ill ask the obvious, did you try pushing the light in and out to turn it off?

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Maybe someone turned the light switch on at some point and you cant locate it ?

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If there is a light on the boat there is a switch for it... check the manual...it'll show where its at

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the boat is in the water, you want the bilge on. You ideally also want the boat connected to shore power too. Figure out how to turn off that light and leave the bilge on. With a fully charged battery, and no leaks, your battery should last just over two weeks with no shore power of course.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will try all this in the morning. Thanks for the info

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No I haven't. Ha ha I'm sure it will be obvious and usually the answer is in my face. You r probably right I'll check in the morning

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No I haven't. Ha ha I'm sure it will be obvious and usually the answer is in my face. You r probably right I'll check in the morning
Our 1st dead battery was from one of our kids leaving the bathroom light on. @subysti was right, all you have to do is push on it to turn it off (on a 2007 anyways, not sure of a 2015). Also, ever since the dead battery incident I unhook our battery after every outing to make sure it doesn't happen again. Of course if you are in a wet slip that might not be an option.

Let us know what you find out! The great thing about this forum is learning from others.

Oh and shoutout to a fellow Kentuckian! If you ever make it up near Cincinnati let me know and we can take you for a ride on the Ohio through Cincy.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our 1st dead battery was from one of our kids leaving the bathroom light on. @subysti was right, all you have to do is push on it to turn it off (on a 2007 anyways, not sure of a 2015). Also, ever since the dead battery incident I unhook our battery after every outing to make sure it doesn't happen again. Of course if you are in a wet slip that might not be an option.

Let us know what you find out! The great thing about this forum is learning from others.

Oh and shoutout to a fellow Kentuckian! If you ever make it up near Cincinnati let me know and we can take you for a ride on the Ohio through Cincy.
Need to do a Cinti trip....

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are going to keep it in a wet slip with no shore power you may want to consider a bilge pump with water sensor. You can hook it directly to the battery and then turn off your batteries when you depart. The bilge would only turn on if it senses water unlike the oem which kicks on senses for water and then turns off if no water is present. It does this every few seconds.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the 2015 you push on the light to turn it on and off.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unbelievable just push on it. Baterry charged and all good. Pretty sure that light has been on since I brought the boat home.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well that's great that it was a simple fix!

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

We think It was the light I can't imagine the bilge ran that much. Will definately get in touch if we get that way anytime

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have some friends that have a large cruiser that we ride up there for the buffet concert with. It's a great ride not sure I would try it in mine though that's a long ride

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Polytron makes a couple 12V auto-off "dome light" timers. These timers allow a dome light (courtesy light) to stay "on" for only a limited time - after that, the device automatically switches the light off if you forget to switch it off manually.

The DL-10 is rated up to 10 amps (120W) and the DL-20 is rated for up to 20 amps (240W). Either of these would work for the courtesy dome light in the head compartment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polytron-Delay-Off-Timer-12-VDC-20A-res-max-MODEL-DL-20-Dome-light-made-in-USA-/252275594321

I've been thinking about installing one of these on my boat.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The "automatic" bilge pumps in our boats work by cycling the pump every 3-5 minutes and basically looking for resistance in the impeller. If there's resistance, the pump will continue to run until there is no more resistance. This cycling doesn't hurt the pump, but by the time the pump cycles 300-500 times in a 24 hour period, dead batteries happen.

I have a dual battery set-up in my boat and keep it in a wet slip all summer long. When I leave, I turn off both battery switches and I've hard-wired a fused switch to the house battery and use a solar charger (since I can't use electricity at my dock). Here's the link to how I have this set up:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/solar-battery-charger-install-w-pics.3414/

I've used this set-up for four years and it's always been great!

Top Bottom