• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dead battery after installing JL sub

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I recently purchased a JL 10ib5 running on the 600/1 ( to broke to afford the 2nd sub currently). I hooked the amp up to the house battery directly. Not sure if this was correct because I know on cars you do a body ground but that is to keep interference out.

So I have noticed while cruising and jamming out the house battery does not charge like the starting battery, is this normal? Meaning starting battery 14.1 house battery 12.2v.

Now after 4 days of hanging out at the sandbar my house battery is almost dead but my starting battery just fine. I can't hook up a charger because it is stored outside nowhere near an outlet.

Any suggestions???

Brent

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Could you possible add a solar trickle charger? Without significant run time on the motors (and the stators arent that great anyway), it's going to be a losing battle to keep that battery topped up.

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the factory solar charger the e-series comes with, though i know it sucks.

Is it normal to not charge both batteries at once and only one at a time? Or do I run the batteries on parallel when cruising to charge both at the same time?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kinda house battery are you using?

What's the reserve capacity?

How many amps are you running?

Without recharging your batteries after a few days of usage you won't be able to avoid this issue from my experience.

I have 3 amps (soon to be 4) and run two batteries and charge them up after every weekend. The only other think I've seen in extreme circumstances is a portable genny to charge batteries via a trickle charger.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the factory solar charger the e-series comes with, though i know it sucks.

Is it normal to not charge both batteries at once and only one at a time? Or do I run the batteries on parallel when cruising to charge both at the same time?
You lost me here....your profile lists that you have a 1997 AR but say you have an E-Series boat?? I would expect that the factory -series solar panels should be able to charge both batteries over time, but if you are repeatedly draining it really low with no recovery time (or no sun) then it won't keep up.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian i believe he has a 2018 limited S E series. The motors should be enough to keep up, right?
Well - yes but they will top off the start before the house, per DVSR.
That's a lot of running time - that would be required.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would just get the ProMariner battery charger. I had the same issue - now I just plug the boat in whenever I am not using it.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't hook up a charger because it is stored outside nowhere near an outlet.
I would just get the ProMariner battery charger. I had the same issue - now I just plug the boat in whenever I am not using it.
Since you can't plug it in...you are going to need to figure out why the solar panels aren't charging the batteries between trips. I've seen different wiring from the factory here...some are set up so the battery switches need to be left ON to get solar charging, some are set up so you don't need them on. Check to be sure you are getting a charge as your first step. If you are getting solar charging, then it isn't enough and you may need to have an extra battery to swap out your house battery, or just take it with you each trip?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just about to mention that....

Its gonna suck but if there is NO power for you to plug in to @Brent Markham then you will need to either swap batteries or take it with you to charge at home if you notice it drops below a certain voltage.

Any option to get another storage/parking location with power?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Since you can't plug it in...you are going to need to figure out why the solar panels aren't charging the batteries between trips. I've seen different wiring from the factory here...some are set up so the battery switches need to be left ON to get solar charging, some are set up so you don't need them on. Check to be sure you are getting a charge as your first step. If you are getting solar charging, then it isn't enough and you may need to have an extra battery to swap out your house battery, or just take it with you each trip?
Reading > Me.

Running power isn't that hard. Get some wire, some PVC pipe, a water proof outlet, and a shovel. Have it done in a few hours.

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I do not know why my profile says 97 ar. My apologies, I have an 18 242 e series.

@Jaylex just the one amp and one sub with stock stereo. I am using just the stock batteries it came with no sure capacity and all that.

There's no way to have both batteries charge together in the aftermarket world? It is hard to charge my batteries as I store it away from my house at a boat yard where there are no outlets available.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could you possible add a solar trickle charger? Without significant run time on the motors (and the stators arent that great anyway), it's going to be a losing battle to keep that battery topped up.
What you are describing is what you want with a deep cycle dedicated battery. You need to charge it after every use. If you can get longer run time getting a charge during the day...great, but no way around charging.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There's no way to have both batteries charge together in the aftermarket world? It is hard to charge my batteries as I store it away from my house at a boat yard where there are no outlets available.
The system charges battery 1 first, then battery 2. So it will charge both, but in that order. When you keep deep discharging battery 2 it keeps getting further behind on its charge.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thx guys for the help I will look more into the solar charging!