• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dead battery

Motivation007

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have 2 battery on my boat to jump ar192 Yamaha
One battery when dead in the water . How do I jump start the one battery with a booster jumper
Do I connect the jump booster to neg cable to the neg terminal
And pos cable to the positive terminal to the dead battery with no problems? Don’t want to get spark
Cause a fire

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One battery when dead in the water . How do I jump start the one battery with a booster jumper
And pos cable to the positive terminal to the dead battery with no problems? Don’t want to get spark
Cause a fire
Sounds like something @swatski can help with.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
May want to post with "@HELP" in the forum to get quick help!

Do you have a "combine" switch?
Yes, there is no chassis to the ground in a boat so need to connect directly to the terminals. If the connections are firm should be fine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cause a fire
If I understand you correctly, the answer is yes.

First check for fumes. Open the engine compartment and sniff/blow etc....

THEN, connect the cables as you describe. Not sure why the two batteries would be both dead---you must have a strong battery drain, or its been a long time since you used the boat.

If you are talking about combining the batteries, you should have a combine switch in a two battery set up-unless the 2nd battery was never installed properly and its just sitting there????

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think maybe he has a 2nd battery (not combined into a 2 battery system) and wants to make sure he follows the correct procedure.

@Motivation007 I believe the best is to connect the terminals to the dead battery terminal (not each other!) and to give it a bit of a wait. Unless of course you can just swap the batteries...

Basically:
  • correctly connect the batteries terminals together
  • wait several minutes for the battery to charge (equilibrate a little bit)
  • turn the boat key, and see if the engine starts
  • disconnect the leads so the battery can charge normally