• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Deep sea fishing?

Henry

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I bought the boat, never thought of go deep sea... I was thinking of taking the kids out for fun and fishing around Tampa bay area.
Now friends said heading 30-50 miles out to the Gulf of Mexico from St. Petersburg, FL will have lots of good fish and fun....

Anyone take the boat out that far? How many ft sea can it handle?
Thinking of taking it out few miles then stretch it out a little further out each time to see how it handle, how I handle the waves and how far the fuel tank can go.... Any suggestion greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many of us take our boats to Bimini in the Bahamas each year. @ClemsonTiger maybe able to give you a better response he did a lot of fishing on his.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At best cruise, the FSH has a range of about 90 miles. So you'll definitely want to carry extra fuel.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I bought the boat, never thought of go deep sea... I was thinking of taking the kids out for fun and fishing around Tampa bay area.
Now friends said heading 30-50 miles out to the Gulf of Mexico from St. Petersburg, FL will have lots of good fish and fun....

Anyone take the boat out that far? How many ft sea can it handle?
Thinking of taking it out few miles then stretch it out a little further out each time to see how it handle, how I handle the waves and how far the fuel tank can go.... Any suggestion greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I have a 190, different boat, same hull. These boats are beasts in the ocean. I cut my teeth when I lived in New England for about ten years (and yes, I was young and stupid) - find this this boat as (or more) capable as any whaler-class boat similar size.
Our Bimini crossings this year were not particularly smooth, it was not bad either - and that boat of mine did not give me one bad moment/vibe. Surprisingly, we also took no waves over the bow (zero) and not all that much spray (I would like to take credit for being an amazing captain;), but who are we kidding - the boat is just really quite capable). That said, it is a 19fter. You will get tossed around and anything bigger than about 3-4ft - you are going to be hurting...

As far as fuel, that gets a bit tricky. If you can manage to go slow on plane, keeping it in cruise control with constant 6-6500RPM, you may get 90mile range. But in a rougher water - all bets are off and if you make your engine work harder to compensate for a smoother ride your fuel consumption can increase dramatically. You may need to be going WOT at 35mph, and some such. I which case, your mileage will vary.

And BTW - all (three) of my young kids want to go back on the Bimini trip (or something similar) (I - can not wait).
My wife... she wants a bigger boat. But it is a comfort/convenience thing. And she just doesn't understand...

--

Henry

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for video Clemson and thanks others for great info.
On the windy day around 10-12mph, I notice the speed reduced significantly.
Usually cruising at 6500rpm give me around 3omph, but with little wave, it get down to 20-25mph.
I can see the fuel mileage can reduce significantly.
Thanks again guys.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We went 9 miles off shore today and ran out of bait, came back to the jetty. We cast net a full bait well and went 9 miles off shore again. We checked out a couple of other spots and then did some fishing along the beach. Altogether about 50 miles with little less than half tank left.
It's always that last 1/8th tank that flys by...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On that note ^, I find my "gallons used" counter to be spot on, I tend to rely on it. Not the fuel gauge, which is VERY non-linear...