• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Defeat SB start lockout?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure how to phrase this, so you'll have to bear with my long description...

One of the reasons I got the LX210 was for dual engines... if one has issues on the water, the thought was that I can limp back on the other one. Unfortunately, I found out last night that the starboard engine won't turn over unless the port engine is running first (I'll save that for a different post). So, if for any reason I can't start the port engine, I'm dead in the water (pun intended).

Is there a valid reason the SB engine shouldn't be run without the port engine? The only real reason I can think of is to make sure someone doesn't try to start both engines at the same time, possibly melting wires when trying to spin two starters at once.
Is there a defeat for this? I'd like to be able to "override" whatever is causing this so I can limp along on the SB engine if necessary.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No such feature as a starboard engine lockout. You've got a gremlin in there somewhere. Now long have you owned the boat? Has it always done this since you've owned it?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hrm... Only had the boat since April this year, but now that I think about it, that couldn't have been a problem last time I was out. I ran it in salt water and I know I flushed the SB engine afterwards without out the port side running... I only have one flush adapter.

What I usually do is start up the port engine first, once it's able to idle by itself without throttle, I start the SB side. Yesterday, the port engine was being "ornery" and didn't want to fire up. I didn't want to drain the battery trying to start it, so I tried to start the starboard side instead and nothing happened at all... it wasn't even trying to turn it. I went back to starting the port side and managed to get it going. I then started up the starboard engine and it turned over and fired up immediately.

I'll try it again tonight and see if I can figure out something I could have done wrong... I know I checked throttle and F/R gate positions.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if the starboard engine has an issue with its battery connection and is using power from the port engines stator to start. The engines have separate battery leads. This is the first place that I would check.

I owned a 2004 LX210 for a year. As itsdgm said, there is nothing in the stock wiring to prevent running either engine without the other.

You may want to consider Adding Tow Valves in case you ever need to limp home on one engine.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Could be a low battery, but if so it was probably caused by the amount of starting attempted on the port engine. I keep it on a tender and it checked out good when I checked it all last night. Could be the cleanout switches, as I've been dinking with them for the last few weeks while cleaning up the back area and installing the GPS sounder.

@Bruce I definitely plan on doing tow/bypass valves this winter, but thanks for the link... saves me having to hunt it down later. :)

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is not usual. You should be able to start and run the engines independently so you will need to look at wiring. You may want to start by looking at the ignition switches and how they are wired up.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One of my LS2000's did that. Ended up replacing an ignition switch. I could swap the switch and the problem would follow the switch. Seemed weird but that's what fixed mine.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think @Bruce hit the nail on the head. An old battery or a high resistance connection from the battery to the starboard engine could cause an excessive draw on the battery requiring the extra amperage generated by the stator of the operating port engine. I would check/clean all the connections from the battery to the starter. If it were the safety switch on the clean out hatch it would be problematic regardless of weather the port engine were running or not. It would also be intermittent while under way. If your battery is more than a few years old you may want to consider changing it. The previous owner may not have been as diligent about charging it as you are and you could have some weak or damaged cells.