• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do these service items look correct?

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the yearly service on my SX190 performed today and when I looked closely at the invoice I believe I may have been charged for parts for a twin-engine model. Does my engine require 8 spark plugs and two oil filters? It may but I have no idea..... Any input is appreciated.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our boats have 4 spark plugs and one oil filter and take about 4quarts of oil

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I called my dealer to make an appointment for my 10hr service last year. They told me $225. Thought not bad to make sure it was done right the first time. When I picked up the boat they charged me $450. The dumb receptionist quoted me the wrong price and she admitted it. I raised hell and walked out only paying $225.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what a shame and another reason to do it yourself, let us know what they say, I can't imagine anything be an immediate apology and refund

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. I thought this was the case. I will call my dealer in the am and see what they have to say.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That actually is in my mind unacceptable!!! I am assuming the dealer is a Yamaha dealer, the fact that the service person entered that in the system, and the mechanic put his name on it would cause me pause. If that dealer doesn't know something as important as your boat having 1 engine as opposed to 2 would make me question their knowledge on the products they service....JMO

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That actually is in my mind unacceptable!!! I am assuming the dealer is a Yamaha dealer, the fact that the service person entered that in the system, and the mechanic put his name on it would cause me pause. If that dealer doesn't know something as important as your boat having 1 engine as opposed to 2 would make me question their knowledge on the products they service....JMO
Betting somebody with twins got an unadvertised half off special.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious, the annual service total was $355 all in. Does that seem out of line? The parts listing threw me off but the price overall did not seem excessive to me.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just curious, the annual service total was $355 all in. Does that seem out of line? The parts listing threw me off but the price overall did not seem excessive to me.
We can't see the prices in your photo but I do both of my engines for less than $100 in about an hour. They say you have to factor in the cost of your time but it is quicker than making 2 round trips to the dealer to drop off and pick up the boat.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Sounds pretty high to me, especially since you only have 1 engine..

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got in touch with the dealer this morning and it turns out the service advisor (new guy) entered their flat rate code for a twin-engine instead of a single. They apologized for the mistake and are refunding the difference. Thanks everyone for the input.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
No 10% or 20% discount on your next visit??? You are WAY too easy and understanding!!!!LOL

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe it was a simple mistake that anyone could have made. I'm not going to sweat it as they have always been good to me. In fact I drive 1.5 hours to take my boat there even though I have another dealer 15 min from me. I can set an appointment, drop off my boat, and in two hours it is ready if I want to wait on it. My local place wants me to leave my boat for several weeks and get to it when they can. That drives me nuts.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I was just prodding you. :):devilhorns:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We can't see the prices in your photo but I do both of my engines for less than $100 in about an hour. They say you have to factor in the cost of your time but it is quicker than making 2 round trips to the dealer to drop off and pick up the boat.
AND, you know it was done right....now about that invoice, As Davel501 said, you can do all they did, faster and much. much less expensive.
Even if you have to buy an oil extractor your bill will still be under $100. Way under. And no drive time or fuel involved.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AND, you know it was done right....now about that invoice, As Davel501 said, you can do all they did, faster and much. much less expensive.
Even if you have to buy an oil extractor your bill will still be under $100. Way under. And no drive time or fuel involved.
I may try that next time. I really don't mind paying more to make sure everything is done correctly but I will be moving soon and the nearest dealer is about 2.5 hrs away. More incentive to do it myself I suppose.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From various dealers I called after my issue stated above, the price is per my local market where i am.
I agree..I paid the dealer the first time since I was new to the boat. Now I will be perfroming as much as I can myself. AND with all the support from this forum, there is very little that cannot be done by ourselves.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you suggesting to do the 10 hour service on your own?
I am prepared to do oil and plugs eventually. Thought 10 hr. was for dealer to do.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did my service myself plus winterize for 140. That included the price of an oil extractor. I bought it from the dealership I bought the boat from, 4 qts yamalube, 4 ngk spark plugs a yamaha oil filter, a tube of yamaha marine grease and a can of yamaha fogging oil. I think I can cut my annual service down some more below the dealer price for fluids and plugs by shopping around. It took me a total of an hour, 30 min of it was letting the boat warm up on the hose and fogging it. Either way from a dealer including the pump paying more than 200 is a ripoff considering what it actually took me to do it... There is not much to the sevice and you can get the maintenance manual for actual step by step instructions from Yamaha on the service items as well as torque specs etc, fr you other item checklist.