• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Docks/Slip and SPIDERS

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I keep my boat on a lift in a slip. The last two seasons we have seen a spider issue develop. We have tried many different Big Box off the shelf products with not very good results. Does anyone have any suggestions to help tame this problem?

Our Bimini frame, lifelines, pullpit and pushpit railings on our sailboat accumulate spider webs as soon as we clean them off with a long handled brush. We have found that Spider Away works as long as it does not get washed off by rain. Lots of spiders this year as it has rained pretty much every other day this Summer in Burlington. Or at least it seems like it. The whaler sits in the arena and does not have a spider on it. There are a lot of different mayfly type insects all season out on the lake that feed fish, foul and spiders.

Last edited:
We have a similar situation. That is why I am always the one that has to take the cover off and "prep" the boat for other passengers.

have not figured out a way to prevent them.

If you have power, I'd try running a couple of fans on high in the boat to keep a constant air movement. I keep a box fan on high to dry out my boat while it's parked in my driveway and have never seen a spider in the boat.

A more complicated solution would be to buy a black flag fogger, start it, and fog underneath the cover quick before and after.

I have had good luck with Cyper wettable powder. Spiders are hard because their legs are so small that they can often walk through most pesticides without getting them on their legs. That's where the tiny powder particles come in and get stuck to their legs and eventually ingested. I am not recommending someone go and use this without proper training and precaution but ....... Cyper WP

If the area in question gets a lot of rain or people are touching the area you spray, then its not worth wasting time. Perhaps try your luck at some natural pyrethrum insecticides.

Become one with the spiders. I keep a soft bristle brush on a broom handle near my lift in order to knock down the spider webs. None of the spiders at the dock bite or poisonous. I have learned that they were here before us and will be here after we are gone. Live and let live.

Oh! Another great idea is to get a gecko/lizard and leash it up in the area. :)

We have tried many different Big Box off the shelf products with not very good results

and some of those big box solutions would be.................?

Nobody wants to duplicate advice, but if we don't have any idea, that's not possible. Ortho Home Defense is the most readily available solution, but have you tried it? Help us to help you.

Oh! Another great idea is to get a gecko/lizard and leash it up in the area. :)

Funny, we do have one of these...but it has not developed a taste for spiders.

20230913_184702.jpg

Last edited:
I just want to know if the spiders are from Mars?

We used Demon WP. Just watch out for little kids around the stuff you spray because they will touch things and chew on their hands a lot. We never really had a lot of little kids around though so never was an issue, but we used it for many years and it really works.

BORIC ACID powder

My wife swears by Tempo. We mix a big spray bottle and the dock, lift, canopy, dock furniture all get sprayed. It helps in all places except where there are dock lights. As those come on (solar) every night and collect bugs. But it's way better after a dose of tempo once or twice per season. And it's safe to be around.

Good luck!

I keep my boat on a lift in a slip. The last two seasons we have seen a spider issue develop. We have tried many different Big Box off the shelf products with not very good results. Does anyone have any suggestions to help tame this problem?

Burn it all down. It's the only sure way to get all the spiders

My wife swears by Tempo. We mix a big spray bottle and the dock, lift, canopy, dock furniture all get sprayed. It helps in all places except where there are dock lights. As those come on (solar) every night and collect bugs. But it's way better after a dose of tempo once or twice per season. And it's safe to be around.

Good luck!

Add Bifenthrin to that, and see if that turns into your magic potion

@Murf'n'surf & @BigN8 ,both are in the permethrin family, and the pwder forms also stink a lot less, but are somewhat safer than everythin else other than the boric acid. Theyre less long lasting, but thats the tradeoff. since you have to mix a spray anyway, 10% permethrin may be a cheaper alternative, but it likely will stink a whole lot more during application, although tha smell goes away when dry

. g

and some of those big box solutions would be.................?

Nobody wants to duplicate advice, but if we don't have any idea, that's not possible. Ortho Home Defense is the most readily available solution, but have you tried it? Help us to help you.

Ortho, Mrs Muffets, Spectracide, Hot Shot Foggers between the floats and dock deck.

Ortho, Mrs Muffets, Spectracide, Hot Shot Foggers between the floats and dock deck.

All of those products will be "retail" versions of the commercial products, which means a watered down version, or less effective product quantities. The length of residual action is also going to be far less than label statements.

Bifenthrin, for example, is claimed to be effective for "up to" 90 days. In real world experience, being near water myself, that is actually 30-45 days of effectiveness, depending on conditions, and that's for a far more effective concentration than the homeowner potions.

All claim some level of water fastness, but make no mistake, rain and watering the grass will contribute to less effective time, as does your proximity to a wet area.

Find some Bifenthrin, dunno if you have Menards there, but if so, they have it, otherwise, domyown.com sells it. 1 oz per gallon of water, once a month.

Back