• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Downrigger install

Dcauthen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ready to go...

For anyone who may be interested, cannon has a promo going right now, they have a rebate on their down riggers. The Unitrol 10’s are $25 each with a limit of 4 rebates. The high end electric ones have a $100 rebate.

View attachment 143845
Do you have any more pictures on your trolling motor mount. Did you have it done? Any modification to get it mounted etc. extra battery?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have any more pictures on your trolling motor mount. Did you have it done? Any modification to get it mounted etc. extra battery?
Yes I have more pics, tell me what you’d like to see and I’ll grab some fresh ones for you.

Yes, I had the dealer install it before I picked the boat up.

No modification that I know of. Used the OEM mount.

There are three 12 volt batteries wired in series for 36 Volts They are located on the shelf in the head compartment.

Dcauthen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I have more pics, tell me what you’d like to see and I’ll grab some fresh ones for you.

Yes, I had the dealer install it before I picked the boat up.

No modification that I know of. Used the OEM mount.

There are three 12 volt batteries wired in series for 36 Volts They are located on the shelf in the head

sounds nice. I’m getting a trolling motor mounted in a few weeks and I’m looking for different pictures to give them for the install.
I have 2 12v batteries that are in the boat rear port side. I plan on having them add 1 more.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Aren’t those batteries the start and house batteries?

Dcauthen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes they are the main batteries?

Should I start a new thread?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes they are the main batteries?

Should I start a new thread?
Not necessarily …. You are planning to install a separate battery bank for your trolling motor right?

Dcauthen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I am going to add a Battery for the Trolling motor and Live scope.
I am having my Gamin 93sv installed today and I will post some pictures when I get it back.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I am going to add a Battery for the Trolling motor and Live scope.
I am having my Gamin 93sv installed today and I will post some pictures when I get it back.
Okay, not sure which trolling motor you have… but there is a place in the head compartment for a battery bank, your trolling motor should have its own totally isolated battery bank. Your Garmin can run off of your house battery via one of the OEM / Factory ACC switches.

Dcauthen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Trolling motor is the Force 57"

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Down riggers are great as you can run them right through marked fish on your graph. They are also useful for bottom bouncing where the Lakers hang out in Lake MI in the summer. If you get close to the bottom your weight will bounce every once and a while, it seemed to help trigger fish. I wouldn't recommend doing that on rock bottoms or shoals though and we always had a pair of cutters on our belts or near the downrigger in the event that we might snag up. Life savers in the case of stray commercial nets that had the potential to pull the boat backwards and swamp the boat if the down riggers entangled. Fish 210 Sport, Did you add the forward rod holder? That spot looks ideal for trolling by oneself.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Down riggers are great as you can run them right through marked fish on your graph. They are also useful for bottom bouncing where the Lakers hang out in Lake MI in the summer. If you get close to the bottom your weight will bounce every once and a while, it seemed to help trigger fish. I wouldn't recommend doing that on rock bottoms or shoals though and we always had a pair of cutters on our belts or near the downrigger in the event that we might snag up. Life savers in the case of stray commercial nets that had the potential to pull the boat backwards and swamp the boat if the down riggers entangled. @Fish 210 Sport, Did you add the forward rod holder? That spot looks ideal for trolling by oneself.
No, those are the OEM rod holders…. I am going to add a few 0* degree holders for use with the rod riggers I have.

I love using the downriggers. I can put the baits right where I want them, mainly deep down where fish are marked near the bottom. I caught a couple of lakers last season using them, still learning about the lakers. I intend on trying a plethora of baits this year. I have also used the down riggers in shallower waters for walleye.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I really don't know. I am just assuming its 24v from the factory.
A quick search shows that there is a 100# thrust version at 36V or 80# at 24V. Either way you will need either two or three 12 V batteries to make the required voltage via series connections, or perhaps a 24 or 36 volt single LiFePO4 battery. These batteries should be mounted in the head compartment with a dedicated on board charger to make recharging simple and easy.

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I noticed in your post that you are adding a live scope so you must be planning for a significant investment. I have looked at the live scope but the cost and the limited depth for clarity seems to be an issue.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Down riggers are great as you can run them right through marked fish on your graph. They are also useful for bottom bouncing where the Lakers hang out in Lake MI in the summer. If you get close to the bottom your weight will bounce every once and a while, it seemed to help trigger fish. I wouldn't recommend doing that on rock bottoms or shoals though and we always had a pair of cutters on our belts or near the downrigger in the event that we might snag up. Life savers in the case of stray commercial nets that had the potential to pull the boat backwards and swamp the boat if the down riggers entangled. Fish 210 Sport, Did you add the forward rod holder? That spot looks ideal for trolling by oneself.

I guess I missed that article on my first pass through the updated thread… I had not thought of that before, having wire cutters handy, that is a really smart and good idea to have them right there and ready to go in the event that the ball or line gets caught up below. I don’t have the nets to worry about at my lakes, but there are some trees around that could have the same affect.

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I guess I missed that article on my first pass through the updated thread… I had not thought of that before, having wire cutters handy, that is a really smart and good idea to have them right there and ready to go in the event that the ball or line gets caught up below. I don’t have the nets to worry about at my lakes, but there are some trees around that could have the same affect.
I hate to lose any more wire that is absolutely necessary so our answer is immediately go to neutral and then reel the downrigger in as far a you can pulling the boat back to where it was caught, then go in reverse a little further and usually you can free the ball without losing the ball and wire.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I hate to lose any more wire that is absolutely necessary so our answer is immediately go to neutral and then reel the downrigger in as far a you can pulling the boat back to where it was caught, then go in reverse a little further and usually you can free the ball without losing the ball and wire.
Thanks!

I’ve lost some tackle and have dragged the bottom a few times but thankfully no loss of cable or gear … fingers crossed!

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks!

I’ve lost some tackle and have dragged the bottom a few times but thankfully no loss of cable or gear … fingers crossed!
UNfortunately I have not been so lucky. When we are after the big lake trout at Flaming Gorge or the stripers on the bottom at Lake Powell sooner or later you are going to get the ball caught in a crack or between rocks. At that point it is Put the strain on the wire until it breaks which is nearly always where it hooks onto the ball which is the weakest point. This is where I make sure my downrigger is mounted securely to the boat. I am not a fan of mounting them in a rod holder, they are just not made to take that kind of pressure.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
UNfortunately I have not been so lucky. When we are after the big lake trout at Flaming Gorge or the stripers on the bottom at Lake Powell sooner or later you are going to get the ball caught in a crack or between rocks. At that point it is Put the strain on the wire until it breaks which is nearly always where it hooks onto the ball which is the weakest point. This is where I make sure my downrigger is mounted securely to the boat. I am not a fan of mounting them in a rod holder, they are just not made to take that kind of pressure.
Agreed that the rod holders are not as strong as the down rigger wire or force that could be put on the rod holder.

It seemed to me like the terminator is made to fail and release the ball? I carry extra terminators and one extra 8# ball.

Is the lake trout fishing at Flaming gorge pretty good?